Living in DR with 1 year travel visa

Can u live in DR with a 1 year travel visa or do you need citizenship?  I was told that you can keep renewing the travel visa and you would be fine. Any truth to this or is it more complicated than that? Thanks

As far as i know travel visa is good for 30 days and you can renew it once only for an additional 30 days then when you leave you will have to pay an overstay fee. Which shouldn't be a problem.

Ok first its not citizenship, its residencia.

Your tourist visa is 30 days and can be renewed once. Robbie is right on.

You can come and overstay the tourist visa without hassle but you cannot work here. Almost no one will hire you without residencia.

To come and test drive things for a year, show up, live, when ready to leave you pay an "overstay fee" at the airport. Thats it!!!

Thanks planner! !

Hi planner.  I just read your post again and realized that I had a question.  You say come out there for a year then pay an overstay fee at the airport when I leave. So I would just buy one way tickets with a tourist visa and then when Im ready to leave purchase tickets to go back home and pay an overstay fee? If so would you happen to know the overstay price?

When you buy a one way ticket you take a chance the airline can force yiu to buy an expensive return ticket at the gate. Under the law the airline is responsible for.making sure you have a return ticket or tesidencia. Some airlines do not enforce this. Your decision.

One option buy a cancellable refundable ticket to Miami or Puerto Rico. No one cares where the ticket is to.

Great advice as always.  Thanks

I purchased a one year visa online through the Dominican Republic Embassy. It was the same $10 fee, but good for a year. Never thought to look into whether you could renew it. Would be good to know.

Thanks for the information. Have a blessed day

The tourist visa is valid for a 30-day period. You can use it within a one-year period from the date of purchase. It can be renewed once for an additional 30-day period at Immigration.

Yup that is right. There is NO 1 year visa here. There should be though!!!

Correct there is no one year visa.  What you purchased is a 10 tourist visa that is good for a visit anytime with in a year of the purchase date.

Bob K

Hummmm. They should have made that more clear on their website. Thanks for the info. I did read that you can renew it up to 3 times.

It is not worth the hassle of getting it renewed.  Just pay your overstay "fine" when you leave

Bob K