I would like to learn about life in Colombia

Hi, I am considering some real estate investments in Colombia in Medellin, Cali, Santa Marta and Cartagena and am interested in learning about the culture and the people. I have a friend in Santa Marta but would like to meet others online before visiting.  If you would like to share your experiences in any of these cities I would love to chat. If you are from Colombia and would like to practice English I need to practice my Spanish. Any subject you want to talk about I am interested. I am a professional pilot so am fairly well traveled and have a love for living life to the fullest.

Many of my wife's numerous family live in Cali, as well as in other parts of the country.  Santiago de Cali is a wonderful city.  And it's hot - most expats do not consider it a prime destination, and tourists may like it but most would not consider it as a place to live for any length of time.  But I like it.  It's the third-largest city in Colombia and the people are open and welcoming.  Although there's a lot of crime it is mostly drug and gang involved and/or crimes of opportunity against the weak and unwary.

As a foreigner who will most likely never become a resident mostly due to the tax structure as it exists now, the last thing I would consider is any real estate investment in Cali or anywhere in Colombia.  If you are looking more for a residence than an investment, of course emotion can overrule almost any objections if you find your "dream" home.

One of the reasons to be wary about real estate is that being an absentee owner and/or landlord with only limited Spanish or even fluent Spanish, is difficult - if you have ever been in that situation even in your home country where you speak the language you may understand some of the difficulties.  Another reason is that it may end up that not only will your assets in-country  be subject to taxation in several different ways but also your world-wide income may be subject to taxation and Colombia's marginal tax rates are higher than many developed countries and start at lower income levels.

In any case the (good) advice often given is to live in a place (or several) in the target country for a year or more before even considering buying a property.  Not only does this give you time to be sure the intended purchase is truly suitable but it also gives you a chance to research how things work - it's nowhere near as straightforward, simple and safe to buy property in Colombia as it is, say, in the US, which has many consumer protections and where it's almost a "turnkey" experience to buy practically any property in comparison.

Osage,
Thanks for sharing. I hear that Cali may actually be one of the better places to invest in Colombia. Many of the points that you made are why I joined the website and why I am interested in hearing from people who are living in Colombia now either as a citizen or as an expat. It is a starting point to begin learning about different issues. I plan to visit later this year and will spend time as you suggested learning first hand how things work. The buying process is of interest to me and the tax structure is something I will become familiar with as I consider investing here. I will seek out professionals to help when it comes to legal and business transactions. One Colombian saying made me smile and is a wise statement. "No Dar Papaya!"

"In any case the (good) advice often given is to live in a place (or several) in the target country for a year or more before even considering buying a property"
>>> thanks for the advice!

"I hear that Cali may actually be one of the better places to invest in Colombia"
>>> here i share my concern about the colombian real estate market and maybe you want to kick in the conversation and share why you want to invest in colombia and if you think that is a safe move right now? https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=691525

:-)

Chaz,

I am familiar with all the cities you cited in Colombia, due to business there for 26 years. I have lived full-time in Medellín and currently still reside in Medellín part-time. How can I help? What would you like to know? Best to reach me at [email protected], my personal email account.

Hector

Thanks Hector.