European Health Insurance card [from Romania]. valid in Switzerland?

Hello dear expats,

I am currently working in Bern and I have double status of employee and student. I need to get a health insurance plan and I wish to get a cheaper one. I was wondering if anyone has used an European Insurance card in Switzerland at the doctor (GP, emergency, hospital, etc...) and what has been your experience with it.

I didn't find any information about how the European Insurance Card is viewed in Switzerland and if you can get an exemption from the mandatory insurance. Any reply will help me greatly.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the country where the card was issued. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.
The Swiss healthcare system is a combination of public, subsidised private and fully private systems.
Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in Switzerland at a reduced cost and will cover your treatment until you return to where the card is issued. It also covers the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth in Switzerland. No cost participation is required for maternity benefits.

If you find yourself in a serious, life-threatening emergency, you should go to the accident and emergency (A&E) unit (Notaufnahme) of the nearest hospital. Most public hospitals have an A&E open around the clock.
If you need an ambulance, dial 144. This is free of charge from any public phone. Ambulance services will only transport the patient, so you will need to make your own way to the hospital. The healthcare system pays 50% of the costs – at the most, CHF500 per calendar year. In the case of medically required transport, 50% of the cost is paid, and a maximum of CHF5,000 per calendar year is paid in the case of rescue.
You will need to pay some of the cost of the ambulance yourself. Therefore, it is better to only call an ambulance if the patient is not in a fit state to go by car, taxi, bus or tram.

I would download the app for the mobile phone from the link HERE

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team