Hey, looking for pet advice

I have a friend who already lives in Malta and im looking at moving out there with him BUT i have a dog who i refuse to leave behind, Im looking at the whole pet passport thing to get her across but i need to know how dogs cope out there with the heat? how dog friendly is malta? am i likely to experience many problems with her as she's a Northern Inuit (gsd size),
I would appreciate any info anyone could give me please,
Thanks Jem x

There are several Huskies around - but I have no idea how they cope in July/August...I'd guess it's pretty "ruff" on them though.

Otherwise, there are lots of dogs on the island and unfortunately plenty of very poorly trained owners!

Tim

U find poorly trained owners everywhere unfortunatly, do u know if there are specific dog walking places?x

hi jem
one of the reasons i am moving back to the uk is that it is not easy when hot to execise dogs and ofcourse not to be advised. there is also the issue of sand fly and my dog wears the protective sand fly collar but i have her blood tested every year as the collars are either 86% or 96%  proof depending which web u r on.. hope this helps
maria

I wouldn't bring in husky style dogs to Malta - its not fair on them - how thick is their coat ? Ive not seen a dog like yours, so not sure how close to a husky it is.

If you do, you will need to give them an airconditioned room 24/7 for 3 months a year

MARIA 9 wrote:

there is also the issue of sand fly and my dog wears the protective sand fly collar but i have her blood tested every year as the collars are either 86% or 96%  proof depending which web u r on.. hope this helps
maria

just about every dog born in Malta has sandfly, its whether its at a level that needs treating

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_leishmaniasis

it used to be thought dogs could only get it from the sandfly, but there is now evidence its transmittable from dog to dog

we r not discussing dogs born in malta-jem is bringing her dog from abroad. also there are breeds like the kelb tal fenek which has built in natural immunity. there are no specific places for walking dogs jem -this is a tiny island and also dogs r not allowed on certain beeches and the new gardens in ta,qali. r u familiar with malta-i thought i was ,however though my bella is very well trained -sits at kerbs etc etc -if i knew some of the things i have experienced i would not have come over with siamese cats and dogs miss cleaner oxygen levels and greenery and my pets probably do.

tal Feneks can still get sandfly, but are less likely than other breeds. A sandfly collar is very sensible, atleast for the summer months, as is keeping your dog indoors between dusk and dawn, as thats when the sandflys are around (actually they aren't flys and they have nothing to do with sand)

Gozo is much better for having a dog than much of Malta, due to significantly lower population density - the air is also cleaner due to the prevailing westerly wind and lower industrial base

you want to try advocate,it killes everything on a dog and it wormes them,my sisters have dogs in malta and thay have never had a problem.in the summer heat,you want to clip your dog to keep him cool.:cool::D

Thanks guys my dog isn't a husky she has a thin gsd type coat, I refuse to rehome her just because im moving, maria how did u go about taking your dog with you?x

HI
I ARRANGED ONCE I HAD BOOKED MY OWN FLIGHT FOR DEPARTURE, CARRIERS AT GATWICK TO TRANSPORT MY DOG BELLA AND SIAMESE CATS ON THE SAME FLIGHT. THEY ALL HAD PET PASSPORTS AND 6 MONTHS HAD ELAPSED FROM THE DATE OF BLOOD TEST POST RABIES VACCINE TO ENSURE THEY DID NOT GO INTO ANY QUARANTINE IN MALTA.

caps off Maria, please, makes it difficult to read

By the time i've done Shila's pet passport and rabies it'll be close to winter, which is actually a good thing instead of just dumping her in the middle of their summer.
Thanks guys xx