Naturalisation and citizenship in Israel

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Israel? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Israel? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Israeli citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna,

Well first of all, where are you from?

Are you Jewish?

Once I know those answers, I can tell you my thoughts.

Thanks for posting this important topic. Becoming a naturalised citizen in Israel for a child is not fully understood at the beginning. I was only nine at the time my family made Aliyah.  In retrospect, it gave some advantages (by the way I have triple nationality since after serving two years as a Sergeant in the Israeli Defence College I studied in America and five years later became a naturalised American citizen, and since I was born in London, England I maintained British nationality as well, all three are important to me, Israeli being the most important, my Homeland, when I return, not having to wait in the line for tourists is a big plus, going straight to the Israeli line at the customs and since I speak Hebrew I really feel like I've arrived "HOME" every time I visit, and am thinking of living six months in Israel and half a year here in the USA does anyone have experience doing that? Thanks!!! :)