Tap Water in Dominican Republic

Hi,

So I'm going to a vacation for a month in DR. I'm staying at an apartment that has tap water, but I assume that the water is not safe to drink as it is. So I'm just wondering that if I boil the water and keep it boiling for like a minute, that should make the water safe, right? My plan is to make tea.

Obviously I will drink bottled water whenever I wanna drink just water. But I would like to avoid the extra cost if I wanna make tea or perhaps coffee.

Spend the $$$. Water is very cheap here.  A large blue bottle of water (5 gal) that costs upwards of $5 in the US comes to 74cents here.  If you are renting an apartment it most likely will already come with a water dispenser (blue bottles fit into it).
Be safe and don't ruin your vacation it is passes  you lips make it bottled water.

Bob K

Thanks for the reply. I see. I hope I don't have a problem with carrying that into my apartment.

Edit: Actually I checked with the people running the apartment chain and they can actually bring the water if I pay only a tiny price, so that solved my issue.

Yep.  Usually you can get a security guard or a gardener in the complex to get the water for you

Bob K

AND  FYI  - if you need to use water for cooking etc  as long as it will boil for  13 minutes you are good.  Do not use tap water for your coffee!

We brush our teeth with our water...haven't had any issues...

We also are puzzled why there aren't people installing gutters and rain collection systems around the North Coast...My husband is ready to start a business doing that...and installing back up battery systems for people...To give you all an example of the difference between having it done to "Thomas" standards or the typical DR standard...He had to have the local ferreterria  make connectors for our battery back up system because the 'standards' they have in stock are...wait for it...6 gauge-levels too small to safely handle the system load...he did his apprenticeship back in Germany in electrical work...so, he knows his stuff...he even critiques the This Old House guys...hahaha...that's why I'm bringing him with me...

Great to know!!!! 

Collecting water - I am sure there are reasons we don't - storage, treating it... cost of a system... I dont know enough about it.

Very few collect rain water and those that do use it only for cleaning and laundry.  Purified water is so cheap it really does not make sense to do something else.

Bob K