How to make friends in Buenos Aires

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Buenos Aires :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Buenos Aires??

Thanks in advance for your participation

OMG, I can't believe you are asking this question, Argentina is the place where you have to put quotas on friendship, it's the easiest place in the world to meet friends.  The best thing about Argentines is that they come in fives!!!!!  If you don't already have connections (who would have no doubt given you a list as long as your arm with names and tel nos of all their friends and family), I would suggest joining a club or charitable organisation or living with a family.  Argentines are so friendly and they they will introduce you to all their friends....honestly, you will have no problems at all in making friends.

I've gotta disagree. I've been living here for the past 5 years and find that it is difficult to build strong friendships here.

yes i agree with mscaffa is difficult make a real friendship here i dont know why:( ajaj... where did u find them !!ajajja

There is no easy question regarding how to meet people as there are so many variables depending on the kind of people one desires to meet, their nationality, etc. 

There are many professional groups here in town, several expat groups,conversation groups, etc.  I host parties monthly for InterNations.org which is a great way to meet people from all over the world, to include Argentine.  I host a group called Drinking Liberally in my home every Thursday and nationalities vary greatly from one week to another. There are two groups calling themselves Buenos Aires International Newcomers to include one in the suburbs and one downtown.  They host a variety of events and have monthly meetings along with a speaker or some kind of program.  There is the Europa Club, and other such groups. 

I have a lot of these groups listed on my website along with a free services directory if anyone is interested in more information:

Good Morning Buenos Aires

regards,
samuel

Hi everyone! I know how hard it can get to meet new friends when you are abroad. I'm looking for ladies in BA, pls send me a message if you would like to get to know me. I'm looking for friends in BA too.

People come and go so often it is difficult to form long-term bonds with people. But Buenos Aires is a great place to meet lots of different people from all over the world and enjoy the time you have with them!

I met almost all my friends here through the place where I studied Spanish and taught English (LV Studio). I also met one friend on BAexpats.com, and some local friends at Azucar Belgrano (salsa classes).

Go to Alamo on Uruguay between Santa fe and Arenales very good and you can meet lots of people or go to Baexpats.com

See ya
Manci
---------------
SohoSpanish

Hey altogether,
I am here now for 6 months and I agree: It is difficult to make friends here. Although many people are open minded and easy to talk to, real friendship and a strong bonding can be hard work.

Anyway, I have some tips:

1. Make a language course. Here you will meet a lot of people in your situation and it is fun to learn together and participate in the school activities. Also there are people with different ages: I am in a very lovely school, that I can recommand: danielawasser.com.ar

2. Tandems! There is nothing better to meet real Argentinians. Whatever is your native language, there are at least two big and fun tandems, I know: hallo-hola.com.ar (German-Spanish) and spanglishexchange.com(English-Spanish). Especially the last one is a lot of fun, since the tandem works like speed-dating.

3. Join a club or cultural events:
Activities always help to get in contact with people and have fun together. For example, every tuesday you can dance salsa in a cultural center in Palermo (also they offer tango and rock n`roll). And: You don't need a partner to go there. There are teachers and groups for all kind of levels (plus you don't have to subscribe, but can decide every tuesday, if you feel like dancing or not): lavirutatango.com

Besos

Eva

Im from BA and i agree with u guys, is very hard to make friends here.

Hi everybody,

I am french ( I know nobody's perfect) and living in Argentina near Cordoba. My experience is that it is very easy to have relationship but difficult to get true friends.

And remenber one thing : it's only when you're in a damned sh... that you wil count your friends. Most of teh time the fingers of only one hand are enough.....

I agree as well it is hard to find friends here, but if you think about it, it is hard to find good friends anywhere jaja. In BA I think the biggest thing is that you have to get comfortable with being odd or different. Be yourself and be out going and you will atract people to you. Join clubs, follow a sport team, etc. If you do meet a nice person. They will be more than glad to introduce you to their friends

Getting long term friendship is difficult everywherem not only in Argentina.

All the posts are correct.  Getting to know an Argentine on the street is nearly impossible.  It is a big city that comes with big city distrust.  However, once you meet someone, via work, school, or through a club they will be as friendly as can be.  And as has been mentioned, they will gladly introduce you to their friends.
So the bottom line is that you cannot do it on your own, you need an introduction and then you will be on your way.
BTW, once you so start having friendships, it is important to nourish them, if you do not actively call on your friends or invite on occasion, they will quickly stop reciprocating.  They have other friends to hang out with.
Best of luck,

Hello !!

I'm in Buenos Aires for the next two months. I dont speak spanish, so it is very hard for me to communicate with the people here. Im trying to learn spanish, but it takes time!! I could use some people to hang with. Drink coffe, go to parties, shopping or whatever you do here!! I'm all yours:)

Why donŽt you try doing a language course?? You should do it in an University. You will find people of different ages and occupations.
You even can try going to social events organized by ClubEuropeo (clubeuropeo.com). Check it. You will find they organized meetings to practice different languages.

Regarding social events, you can find that there are many... you ought to go to after office, at the downtown
Good luck!!

Hi guys! Im from Argentina and have also lived abroad. And I reckon there is nothing easier than getting to know people in Buenos Aires. They may not be TRUE friends, but that will happen all over the world. I mean, real friends are hard to find, even for us here or for you where you were born.
The important thing I think is to meet as many people as possible. You will decide who is your real friend and who will keep in touch with you with some time.
We host parties for international communities every Thursday in a Bar in Palermo. We have dinner, drinks, pool and then dancing. And you don`t even have to pay except for the alcohol. So if you are looking for friends maybe you can start will people in same situation. Do come to visit us and the time will do the rest :)
Saludos!
Juampi

Hola, im currently studyng in buenos Aires, and always ready for meeting new people to hang out with! So if anybody wants somebody to hang out with i am always ready! ;)

I'm agree with almost all you say.
I'm from Buenos Aires so I know people very much. That is the reason why I decided to come to this site lol. I don't like much Argentinian people(moderated: offensive post + do not generalise)
I'm here to meet English people because I find them totally awesome and very interesting, not flat and boring like people here.