How to make friends in Barcelona

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Barcelona :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Barcelona??

Thanks in advance for your participation

First, learn the language! Even the process of learning can help with making friends, as language courses can be great for meeting people. I definitely recommend learning Catalan--I took one of the free courses offered by the government, and it's an important way to connect with the Catalan culture. Now I do Catalan-English translation work!

Other kinds of classes or workshops are great for meeting people as well: gym classes, art classes, cooking classes, etc.

Join a group. I joined a choir just a month or so ago, and already am making friends through that. There are tons of possibilities: language clubs, expat clubs (I think there's an American club), art groups, literary groups, churches, and so on. Again, it helps to speak the language so that you are not limited just to groups of foreigners.

Go to events such as the neighborhood festa major or summer music festivals, and be outgoing. I am not so good at that sort of thing, but I hear other Americans are!

That's what occurs to me at the moment!

Hi I have just moved to barcelona. I am from England and was wondering if there is anyone else that is in the same boat as me i.e...... no friends, wants to look around and get to know people plus have fun! :) if this is you please let me know so we can meet up.:D

my email address is [email protected]

welcome on the forum sherrie ;)

Thankyou. :)

We started having monthly (almost) meetings in bars with people on this forum, but it sort of died out.

There now seem to be plenty of new people on here, all looking to find some new friends though, so maybe we should organise another one sometime soon.

If people would be interested of course?

I can do same Jpope, if you want (i think you are native from barcelona too, or spaniard) we can manage to do again this meetings!

JPope :one

Hi, I have been living a couple of months in New York and now I am looking to meet American friends in Barcelona. I would like to keep on getting in touch with American people, so if anyone is interested we can share a coffee, a film, a drink, whatever! Barcelona has plenty of things to do!

Hi to all!

JPope +1
I am in for a meeting! :)

We're in..

When and where? Im in

Yes, let's suggest places and times! Depending on how many of us are attending, we could look for one place or other. I am saying this because sometimes I had problems when going with a group of more than 10 friends. How many are we? Let me count!

Uhhmm, I know a Brazilian place in Enrique Granados St. They prepare  drinks made with fresh juice. Do not if this is interesting for you, I think they also have beer. If you guys are interested please let me know and I will go ask for more details.

E

Yeah, a Brazilian place sounds good! I counted more or less the people attending and we will be between 10-12 more or less. If you donŽt mind, ask in that place, and let's see what they say. Otherwise, we can ask in some other place. I know the Magnolia (close to the City Hall), they have good cocktails (well, I am in the mood of cocktails ;). If the Brazilian place is not available, I can ask there!

JPope I'm in :). I'm here a bit lonly :(. I try to find people, but it's not easy :P.

Hey,
Why donŽt we meet next week, after the easter Holidays? We have been planning to meet for a while but still didnŽt decide the date. let's say next Thursday at 9 pm? About the place, does anyone has any suggestion? I think around Tarantana street (Born) there are some terraces. We have to find a big place because I think we will be around 12-13. Who's in?

I haven't been online much for the last week or so, because I've been super busy with work.

I'm away in poland from tomorrow and back on Tuesday, so next Thursday would be fine for us.

I think it will probably be more than 12 people, if anyone has any suggestions for a place then let us know.

I've created a new topic about the meetup, so everyone sees it, here:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 520#331079

It would be good if people could post in there if they are coming along, and also any suggestions of where to meet. :)

If it's somewhere in the Born I am definitely interested!

Hi!, this is Alejandro, spanish though lived many years abroad. England, France, Germany, and recently, actually still there until July, in Korea. I know sometimes might be difficult to make friends abroad, but if you really want, you can do that. I believe Spanish we are quite open. But not great in other "idiomas"...
I am reallh interested in Asian countries, culture and people, specially in Koreea. What a wonderful country and people... I am going to miss is when I'll be back to Barcelona... any Koreans there?
Alex

Welcome on board Alex ;)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and to Barcelona. Did any meetings get planned as I would def be interested?
Teresa

Hello, Teresa;
As far as I know, there is nothing planned, but it would be nice if we set up a date for meeting, somewhere! I think we could explore the Born area. What others think?

I would be very interested in meeting up and for me the Born is perfect.

Hi Kelene and Rockchica, great idea!! I have only been in Barcelona since Sunday so I haven't explored Born yet. When and were should we meet?

Hi all I share the comments about meeting people here I found it  little difficult too...Im new to the forum but not so new to Barcelona been here 2 years but I would be up to meet up for a drink or several. Lets lock in a date/time & place in the born and I can bring the wife who is a local and can assis

Hi all!

I'm Daniel and i'm spaniard living in barcelona.

I want to tell you, don't worry to much about HOW to meet people in Barcelona is more easy that you think, trust me ^^.

In spain particulary in barcelona, most of the people really like to meet foreing people especially if you speak english ( we already know we suck in english so we want to learn it ^^ jaja)

I want to give you THE SECRET TO MEET PEOPLE HERE, the secret is...

Don't be shy! jajajaj ok? that's all, just open your mouth and you will notice how most of the people speak to you, sometimes even in english, so don't worry to much. We are very friendly.

If you need something just contact to me ok? DON'T BE SHY!!!!!! jajajajaja

my mail is [email protected]

Take care and enjoy! Barcelona is a beautiful city, you just have to know where to go ^^

Byeeee

Hey peeps my names Wasim I've just graduated from university in Manchester and am going on a short holiday to Barcelona from the 27th July till the 3rd of August. I currently have some friends staying in the Jaume I area however they are busy working and won't have much time to meet up with me. I've chosen to stay in student accommodation hoping I'll meet some new people to just go out out with in the day time or evening around Barcelona. If anyone would be happy to meet up then please email me, I am native in English so can teach for free if anyone is interested.