Moving to the UK with my kids and husband

Hello people

I really hope someone can help me out here. I am a British citizen. I have been living in Egypt for more than 10 years. I have married an Egyptian man for 7 years now and we have 2 boys. I have my family living in the UK. I have been thinking lately to come and settle in the UK. I will be staying at my dad's place.

now my question is how can I do this? Do I come to England with the kids first and invite my husband. Or we both go together and my dad can invite him. We will be staying at my dad's till everything has settled down with us which might take years.

What visa does my husband need? And can he work when he arrives.? I want to do this right.

Hi Vicky and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming you and your kids have UK passports, you'll have no problem.

However, for your husband to join you, you will first need to have a job that pays at least £24,800 p/annum.

Your father can't "invite" your husband; it will all be down to his relationship with you.

You can read about it at this link.

There is a trick to get around this (based on the fact that other EU countries have different entry requirements); it's known as the "Surinder Singh" method; the details are described in Section 6 of the link I provided above?  Put very simply, it involves you moving to another EEA country for 3 months (I think) prior to moving to the UK; there's a bit more to it than that, but all the details are in the link.

Hope this helps.

This picture might help

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/68349000/gif/_68349612_surinder_singh464x720.gif

"Surinder Singh"

I read somewhere that I can bring him in as a spouse visa which needs to be renewed every 2.6 years and the 18000 applies to the 5 or 10 visa route. Is this right?

Whatever visa you will have to pay £24,800 p/a (£18,600 p/a couple without children)

VickyPearl wrote:

I read somewhere that I can bring him in as a spouse visa which needs to be renewed every 2.6 years and the 18000 applies to the 5 or 10 visa route. Is this right?

I've never read that, but I could be wrong; where did you read this (a link would be helpful)?

In general, because of previous abuse of the system (arranged fake marriages and subsequent claims on the UK social services), the UK Government have really clamped down on these visa's and require the sponsor (you) to be able to fully financially support your family in the UK - the amount is generally minimum wage, plus any benefits you could claim on that salary for you and your family; so your salary will put you above any thresholds for social security.

It may seem unfair etc, but that is the system as it currently stands; I can't see it getting any better.

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family

Is the link working?

VickyPearl wrote:

Is the link working?

The links have to be approved by the Admin team, if possible you can PM them to Cynic

I think it's working now

VickyPearl wrote:

Is the link working?

Yes it's working fine; there is still a requirement for the £24,800 salary (read the eligibility section), plus there is a requirement to speak English (I assume your husband does).  The chances of anyone walking into a job with a starting salary like that are not great and it's the reason we suggest the visa we did; it offers a route without that salary requirement (albeit, I wouldn't want to move to France and set up house).

So it seems you have 2 options, Surinder Singh, or find a well paid job in the UK.

What's your background/profession?

I have PGCE. So I am considering working in a school or nursery. But I have a 4 month old baby so I wished that I didn't need to work at the moment.

Cynic I read somewhere that you are living in York. That's where my dad and brother live.

Near York; nobody has ever heard of our village. :)

If your PGCE is currently acceptable in the UK, you should have no problem finding work - there is a shortage of qualified teachers here; whether they pay enough to meet the levels required for the visa, I don't know.  Perhaps start ringing some of the schools around where you intend to live; Google will give you links to current NASUWT pay scales.  Your dad will probably have to help out with the child-care.

You may have to accept some separation initially, but I reckon you can do it.  How's your husbands English?

My advice, read through the immigration requirements carefully, make sure you have any evidence they ask for, then start the process.

If you have any further questions, please come back.

Hope we've helped; best of luck in your journey. :)

Thank you for the help.

At the moment my husband wants to try life in England for a couple of months. Is there any chance that he can come to England for a few months but also can work? Before applying for the spouse visa? For ex. Visit visa?

What visa can allow him to work? Just for a couple of months?

VickyPearl wrote:

What visa can allow him to work? Just for a couple of months?

You can check here VickyPearl - What Visa do I need

UK Visas and Immigration

OK I hope someone can help me with this one. My husband a degree in pharmacy from the Cairo university. What jobs are available for him in the UK?

Hi vicky

Here are list of Documents you required.
Your husband application could be applied for via 2 options one as previously mentioned by other members a Job or
2) saving of £64,000.00 in either one of your account for 6 months period.

Documents that you required.

1.       His passport bio-data page and any visas for any country; 

2.       Copy of any previous passport – bio-data pages;

3.       2 recent identical passport size photographs of your husband – required to be submitted with the application;

4.       Your British passport bio-data page and copies of any visas  and immigration stamps showing the period and dates you have visited or lived with her in Egypt.

5.       Your original marriage certificate.

6.       Your original divorce certificate – if previously married.

7.       Your original re-marriage certificate.

8.       Your original divorce certificate (other marriages from both of you (your husband from different marriages);

9.       A selection of photographs of your husband and you together including wedding photographs – must submit with the application covering the period of your relationship;

10.   Evidence that you are both living together in Egypt;

11.   Evidence of regular contact between you both (snapshots of skype communication);

12.   Evidence of flight bookings when you travelled to visit or live with her;

13.   A letter from you with background of your relationship confirming how you met, how your relationship developed, your future plans, and intention to live together in the UK;

14.   Evidence of savings of £62,500 before the date of application:

·         Original bank statements for relevant bank accounts for at least 6 months before date of application (the most recent must not be dated more than one month before the application). The statements must be originals as the UKVI do not accept copies or online statements unless they are duly stamped by the regulated financial bank.

15.   A signed declaration from you confirming the source of the funds;

16.   Evidence of accommodation in the UK – the property where you will be staying – please provide the following:

·         Tenancy agreement in your name or if this is a family member then they must provide a letter confirming that your husband and you can stay with them.

·         An independent accommodation report confirming that the property is suitable for living and will not be overcrowded after your husband's arrival. This can be obtained from the local council or an independent estate agent in the UK that is arranging the home for you;

17.   A sponsorship declaration/undertaking – SU07 (can provide this to you, which you will need to sign and then your husband will submit with the application);

18.   His English language test certificate;

19.   His TB Test certificate since from Egypt

20.   Copy of any previous refusal

21.   Any other relevant letter or document

Please note that any documents that are not in the English language must be translated in English and certified by a qualified translator. Your husband will need to submit the originals and the certified translations.

Hope this helps
And good luck :)

Another tip when applying for Visa Settlement you will have to arrange a return courier to submitt your application to Sheffield as TLS in Egypt will not accept documents for Settlement Visa Application. Also if you want your original documents return you must supply copies with them otherwise you won't get your docs back.

Let me know if you require any further clarification

VickyPearl wrote:

OK I hope someone can help me with this one. My husband a degree in pharmacy from the Cairo university. What jobs are available for him in the UK?

Hi Vicky,

There is an EU sponsored organisation known as ENIC that deals with recognition of qualifications; I've just checked and Egypt doesn't feature in the list of countries they deal with - but perhaps this is an error.  This link will take you to the ENIC website; perhaps you should contact them and ask if they can answer your question regarding your husbands degree.

One other possible thing to check is assuming your husband is a member of a professional organisation in Egypt, then to contact them for advice.

Hope this helps.