Mistakes expats make in Turkey

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Turkey? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Turkey to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

I think one of most commonly made mistake is about work agreements. Although right to rest is a constitutional right here in Turkey, most of expats who work as a nanny work like a modern slaves. You should draw your red line borders at the beginning of work relation. I am doing PhD at labour law and I try my best to give legal advise, do not hesitate to ask.

Hello,
Our problem was trust to everyone that we didn't know very well. For example we trust to a police and he took advantage of us.

Hopefully not all parts of Turkey but the less cosmopolitan cities; being a woman, it's very important not to smile in the street and especially at men because they'll think you like them and they'll try it on with you. I couldn't believe this because I smile at everyone normally.  After almost being molested by a shopkeeper, I make sure I'm not friendly with any men outside of my family.

I think one among all mistakes is asking for help from Turkish people, never ever ask help from people you don't know especially from Turkish people ,once I was suffering from a situation and I asked someone to let me make a call from her cell phone ,it was so urgent but she didn't give me her phone even I was crying but she didn't even care .

That is because it's common that thieves grab the phone and run away. That's very normal.  Turkish people love to help everyone as long as it's not risky. Like, every time i walk around with a heavy luggage, people always help me carry it..etc.

so those are your opinions and in case of helping I'm not agree with yours ,sorry
And who the hell wants to grab the phone and walk away when there are millions of people walking around ?

Not all bad...But for the office work bullying...(Stay= ask for bribes)

That's right .... I was always with my wife

Of course, not all...But for sure I was doing :D

For taking up residence...We wanted to teasing because bribes

Try your best not to touch those covered women even if there is an accident. You will be beaten to death. If you are on a bus or metro and there is one closer to you , please try to move out of the place to avoid any accidental touch.

I hear what you're saying but it's difficult to not bump into people when they push and shove and invade your personal space. I wish you luck. :)