Mistakes expats make in Oman

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Oman? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Oman to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

1. Please know that what salary yu are moving yu will remain at same  salary years after years  so move at high salary

2.No education for kids  after 12

3. Minimum salary must be RO 1000 so that yu can save  say 300 RO if yu are moving with family

4. Know that yur hairs will fall and kidney stone will come faster

5. See that company has insurance cards

6.see that company is big and is able to pay salaries in time

7.know that yu cannot celebrate festivals like home country

8.dont go to one man companies

9.always plan 10% salary as contingency funds to travel toindia to see parents , attend marriages etc

10.know that wife will not be able to work

11. Now india offers more salary than Oman

12. There is No difference much between educated and non educated

13. if yu have nothing then yu pack and go

14. donts do business there and loose money  simply work earn and send money to yur family

Don't join to one man owner company's.

dont join one man company , obey local rules , As every when know this is Muslim country  so respected their Religion their religious festival.

Hi Priscilla....

I want to share one of my bad experience during exit from India to Oman Delhi airport. But that was not in my first time travel to Oman....

During my exit the immigration officer sitting in front of desk ask me my documents that is my passport, and Boarding card... by behaving over smart i had given my passport with resident card by keeping the resident card inside the passport...

He verified my passport and scan it, after that put his exit stamp in the passport and gave back to me.

Happily i collected my passport and boarding card and crossed over... After some minutes i checked my documents and i found my resident card was missed some where.

Then i got remember that i handed over my resident card to that officer and there may be a chance i missed at there. Once again i went to the particular counter and ask for my resident card, but i got very poor response for that officer and he was saying i did not give my resident card to him. Then he asked me to stand there for an hour since it was a busy time. Luckily i have enough time to board the aircraft. Finally he called me and ask me to check the surrounding of his table.

Fortunately i got my resident card from his dust bin. I don't know he had done it purposely or mistakenly. But mistake is mine.

After this incident i use to keep my all documents in my hand and give only if any thing asked by the immigration officers.

Thanks,

Veera

Hi,

Before moving to Oman, do some research regarding the cost of living in the region where you will be located. Cost of living in Muscat is not same as in Salalah or Nizwa. Move only if you can save what is expected.

Secondly, if moving from another GCC country, get a Manual Driving License. Automatic Driving License wont get converted to an Oman Driving license for expat males. But Manual license does.

Thanks,
Jaison

Thanks for sharing, very good story.

Great read. What do you mean by faster kidney stones?

Hello Priscilla,

let me step to the core of the subject ie the tips for the new lander:

1- Read and /or learn about the country,the people , the traditions,the laws and  rules, office hours , holidays ,currency, cost of living etc before you fly and remember well what you find new to you or what may be a source of trouble if u miss or misunderstand it.
2-Be disciplined from the first minute u r in  Oman in light of the bit of education that u gotten so far ; Open your eyes and ears and ask yourself why this why that what should I do and if u get to a deadlock don't hesitate to ask .But don't just toss it blindly ,this will make u susceptible to unnecessary interrogation.
3- Never criticize or connotate or mock at or nag about anyone or anything in the country outside your circle of job responsibility and work contract boundaries.
4- Never chat long stories or ideas with a driver or a shopkeeper or  anyone you don't know well, the best  situation is when u r just a listener.
5- Don't rush into insisting on pre mature friendships with anyone.
6- Don't try to impose your habits and beliefs on others neither at work or outside it.
7- Open your eyes and ears to your colleagues and read the local papers  to be always updated of what is going on and what is up in work and in regulations, events , activities  etc in general.

My best wishes.

Hello all,

I think when you initially move to Oman it comes as a big culture shock, especially if you have come from Europe. However, having said that, after a while you feel the warmth and the affectionate hospitality of Omani people which is something you can get used to.
Oman has a rich Muslim culture and history which is fascinating to divulge into. The beaches are pristine and the country has so much to offer.
To sum up, life is what you make it, it is a slower lifestyle than for example, Europe but it is something to appreciate. The crime rate is so low, and generally people are nice. I have never seen a street fight or robbery take place which are common where I come from.
The common mistakes that are made by expats are staying in their own community which in my opinion is a mistake. True Oman is beautiful , try to integrate and mix with the Omani people. Only then you understand the culture and feel more at home.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Ruby

Very true; Thanks Ruby,