Mistakes expats make in Honduras

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Honduras? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Honduras to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

I will say what you should avoid! Avoid scams. Do not trust smiling faces here, because unfortunately there may be some who would like to help you, many are setting you up for a fall. That goes for land, businesses, investment, buying a house, etc.

Be careful with lawyers who say they will get you a quick residency! If you do not get a temporary residency within six months, find another attorney!

Be careful crossing the street! Many Hondurans do not care at all about pedestrians.

Be careful with the sun! The sun is extremely strong here and you may get a severe burn and ruin your stay!

Take anti-amoeba parasitic medicine! This can be extremely serious and can lead to brain or other organ damage!

Be careful who you let in your house or take care of your house, (including watchmen)! Be careful about your wallet at Carnaval. One of the few times I have been aware of píckpockets!

Try not to lose your temper, although difficult at times!

Be careful at night! I would not advise it except maybe on the islands, Copán, Lempira department, or La Esperanza

Have fun!!

I concur with Woodrowdun's comment: "Avoid scams. Do not trust smiling faces here, because unfortunately there may be some who would like to help you, many are setting you up for a fall. That goes for land, businesses, investment, buying a house, "

There is a regular poster in this forum that sells land and also does construction of homes.   I am aware of instances where he has contracted to build homes at a "GOOD PRICE" 

The buyers later found a couple of things:

He used aluminum wiring without informing the buyers to cut down on the cost.  At least give the buyer a choice of copper wiring and have them pay more.

On at least another instance he used no rebar in the cement on a project to save money.  Of course the buyers would not know no any difference unless they were there daily monitoring the project.  Shortly after the buyer had issues.  In demolishing it , it was clear there was no rebar. 

A word of advice, seek out help and ask for advice from qualified parties. Ask around you will find out alot. Just because someone has been in the country for many years and does alot of promoting doesn't make them an expert, provide credibility, or that you can trust them.  BUYER BEWARE

Daily monitoring is key!! Good point!!