Legal Weapon

I would like all Americans know that I had my legal weapon and permit confiscated from the police.** Please be advised about this. The weapon was purchased from a government store and I had a legal permit to carry it. I was completely sober and there were not bullets in the weapon at the time of the confiscation. Every Honduran who I have spoken to is disgusted by this shameless behavior on the part of Honduran law enforcement!!

Where did you get your carry permit ? What did the police say was the reason for taking your gun ?

Hi, that really stinks, but having lived down there, not at all surprising.
   But what DID surprise me is that you were able to get permission and purchase a weapon as a foreigner, I'm amazed..! I would have given anything to have been able to do that. Now I lived there last in 2003, could you please let me know how you accomplished that.   thanks so much, pete

Can you please emphasize on how did you get the permit there in Honduras as a foreigner and what was the reason why they took your weapon?

You can own a firearm and keep it at your home. If you want a conseal carry permit so you can at least have a gun in your vehicle when you travel... it can easily be done. A client of mine just obtained the permit yesterday. Takes two days or less. Utilizing a Honduran corporation makes it swift.

When there is a will.... there is a way 😎

More than likely corrupt cops at the time wanting a little bit of $. Giving him a hard time just waiting for him to give in. In the end the cops got his gun and probably sold it and split the $. Situations like this for foreigners are not happening all over. Situational but much better now 👏🏼

This is good to know Chris, thank you. Now by any chance, are we able to bring our own concealed from the US have it registers in HN? I know this is a random question but can I bring my little 4 pound dog and my boat with me to Honduras?

What parts of Honduras would you say this is happening? Would it be in the capital of a Honduras or by the the coast?

There are some free gun provinces in Honduras, one of them is Roatan and another is Colon, where Trujillo is.  I got mine confiscated there a month ago with my permit, they should give you a receipt.
This is the" Policia Preventiva" (light blue shirt). The government has been cleaning this police for the last three years, over 3,500 police fired,  though, still a way to go.
  Got my gun recovered, after a few phone calls and visits to the headquarters, told them that I would put a denuncia or complaint at the judicial police (honest and upright police department) for robbery and I had the ticket to prove it, case solved.  Not without pitfalls.

Thanks Cesar!

God.
How do you think when Canadian going to the US and buy a legal gun?It's OK.
When someone break in into his winter house...  This Canadian fired to protect himself. ..
Then what's next?  I don't think he still having good time to enjoy the hot sandy beach...
I don't know the Honduras laws. But some countries when gringo killed local by any reason, we can get really hard time to get out.
You don't lose your treasure by his/her death.
But you still lose everything after anyway.  So for what this weapon?

I remember when we went to Copacabana beach and scared to be robe. .. the hotel security said:
"Go necked and you have nothing to lose!!!"

God.

Chris,

If you are in a private vehicle. You may not transport it on a bus. I would not transport a weapon anywhere, in any vehicle, because it is your word against the police, and if they decide to retain the weapon there is little you can do. I have a legal permit and the weapon did not contain bullets. I had offered it to the watch man before entering the bus and he said that he would take it later on, but forgot because he was really busy loading suitcases.

I had to pay $500.00 fine and attorney fees combined!

Not even the United States Counsel was aware of this law. This is national, so to say you can travel with a weapon in Trujillo or Roatan is not correct. However, they may not enforce the law, but they have the right to.

http://www.laprensa.hn/lasultimas24/382 … C3%BAblico

Chris,

I did get my weapon back But it cost $500.00 between the fine and legal costs. You must have all paperwork as well. I did receive a receipt after the weapon was confiscated.

This is a national law, so it can be enforced anywhere in Honduras. The kicker is to purchase another weapon even requires on top of everything else a letter from INTERPOL.

Woodrowdunn,

Based on your link I read in spanish this is what it says:
[Written- Aug. 29th, 2013]
Congress yesterday approved an interpretation of the law to bear arms which prohibits the carrying of any fire artifact to the people who move on public transport & motorcycles, in an attempt to reduce sicariato (hit men) and assaults on urban/interurban buses & taxis service.
The measure passed with waiver debates on request by nationalist parliamentary Eduardo Martinez.

Article 1 states that weapon owners legally registered under that decree must renew normally to ballistic their registration licenses, excluding those citizens who have gained a criminal record and the like.

On the other hand, the bill amends article 27-A of the decree 69-2007 on May 31st, 2007 hereinafter set will only permit the carrying of firearms by owner visibly in the areas of private property such as housing, business, workshops, vehicles, farms and similar.
Also surveillance and security employees can visibly carry w/ prior written authorization as the rightful gun owner.

The decree also provides that people may not carry their weapons visibly on the streets, spaces or public areas. Weapons in private vehicles will be allowed in areas accessible to the owner. In any case, weapons
should not be accessible to minors.
At the end of the day, I believe you and Chris have some right. Great input and thanks for sharing.

$500.00 is a lot for sure.

On another note it's illegal to smoke on sidewalks 🤔

Is it possible to ship your weapons to Honduras legally?  I understand that there are several calibers that probably would not be allowed.  If so, how would one go about doing this?  Thank you in advance.

Get your lawyer to do this. Have a friend that brought in his hunting rifles a few years back. Pretty sure he used Jorge Lopez.

The whole world knows that the US gun laws are one of the worst on the planet and all statistics prove that.

I'm from Europe and I feel safer in Honduras than in the US mainly for the lack of gun control in the US. I hope they enforce the policies in Honduras in the strictest possible way.

Bad guys will always get guns. So, with restricting citizens from protecting themselves is a good idea. That is liberal logic. Terrible

Just out of curiosity, can you please provide  the source of your statistics?

Logic doesn't matter, only facts matter. And it is a fact that the US has 5 times the murder rate per capita than any European country.

So the last thing any "developing country" would want to import from the US is one of the worst gun laws on the planet. Maybe that is difficult to understand, but just ask people from Honduras who lived in Spain and compare to those who lived in the US. I can assure you the ones in Spain felt safer, and rightly so.

I didn't want to start a flame war, just wanted to state that Honduras is well advised to adopt gun laws from countries which have the strictest gun ownership rules.

Statistics can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c … death_rate

Maybe Honduras needs to adopt Mexicos strict gun laws.  It's worked great there.

and it certainly would be even worse with US gun laws.

2 completely innocent kids age 5 and 8 killed in the US this weekend alone.

I just hope every gun in Honduras carried by a foreigner gets confiscated, illegal or not.

How much time have you  spent in Honduras?  What places have you been to?

Intimidator You will not be welcome by expats or locals I will guarantee you that

We'll see about that. Actually, I have zero interest being welcome by expats who think they come from a great country (which it isn't anymore) and then bring their worst believes (right to gun ownership) with them.

Every country has things to be ashamed of. For the US this is certainly the death penalty, gun laws and the health insurance system. Never bring them anywhere else.

The statistics don't mention how many deaths by Legally permitted or Illegal firearms. However they only count the number of Registered weapons. Govt laws have no control over the number of Illegal weapons. Here in US the number of homicides by Illegal weapons account for the majority of deaths.

If there are many permitted firearms, there are automatically many illegal firearms. I'm pretty sure many illegal firearms end on the street after being stolen from their "lawful" owner.

How many of the 20.000 suicides by gunshot in the US would happen if people didn't have access to guns? Not many, if you compare with other countries.

Below there is a comparison between the US and other countries (from Wikipedia). Please read this and then tell me that the second amendment is something to be proud of.

The U.S. is ranked 4th out of 34 developed nations for the highest incidence rate of homicides committed with a firearm, according to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) data. Mexico, Turkey, Estonia are ranked ahead of the U.S. in incidence of homicides. A U.S. male aged 15–24 is 70 times more likely to be killed with a gun than their counterpart in the eight (G-8) largest industrialized nations in the world (United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Italy, Russia).[117] In a broader comparison of 218 countries the U.S. is ranked 111.[118] In 2010, the U.S.' homicide rate is 7 times higher than the average for populous developed countries in the OECD, and its firearm-related homicide rate was 25.2 times higher.[119] In 2013 the United States' firearm-related death rate was 10.64 deaths for every 100,000 inhabitants, a figure very close to Mexico's 11.17, although in Mexico firearm deaths are predominantly homicides whereas in the United States they are predominantly suicides.[120] (Although Mexico has strict gun laws, the laws restricting carry are often unenforced, and the laws restricting manufacture and sale are often circumvented by trafficking from the United States and other countries.[121]) Canada and Switzerland each have much looser gun control regulation than the majority of developed nations, although significantly more than in the United States, and have firearm death rates of 2.22 and 2.91 per 100,000 citizens, respectively. By comparison Australia, which imposed sweeping gun control laws in response to the Port Arthur massacre in 1996, has a firearm death rate of 0.86 per 100,000, and in the United Kingdom the rate is 0.26. In the year of 2014, there were a total of 8,124 gun homicides in the U.S.[122] In 2015, there were 33,636 deaths due to firearms in the U.S, with homicides accounting for 13,286 of those, while guns were used to kill about 50 people in the U.K., a country with population one fifth of the size of the U.S. population.[117] More people are typically killed with guns in the U.S. in a day (about 85) than in the U.K. in a year, if suicides are included.[117] With deaths by firearm reaching almost 40,000 in the U.S. in 2017, their highest level since 1968, almost 109 people died per day.[11] A study conducted by the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2018, states that the worldwide gun death reach 250,000 Yearly and the United States is among just six countries that make up half of those fatalities.

Your first sentence does not ring true. Stolen firearms are not a big problem. Illegally smuggled weapons comprise the majority of unregistered firearms in this country as in Honduras and many other places. Again, there is the old saying "Guns don't kill; People kill"... You know why it's an old saying? Cause it's true.

None of the countries that the US would compare itself to (in terms of income, health, wealth etc.) have problems even close to the ones the US has. And none of them have such loose gun ownership rules.

So this is a "bad practice" by any means and should not be used as an example. It's that simple.

I believe you are going to be in for a big surprise if you plan on living in Honduras.  Many of the Honduran men I know have weapons that they carry daily.  Those that cant afford a handgun will just as easily pull out a machete and chop your head off.  I've personally never had any problems but I know that if your disrespectful or insult a Honduran man's family it can quickly escalate to violence.  Guns and lack of proper gun safety is a real problem in Honduras.  Honduras is a country that does not trust its corrupt poorly trained police force and forces many law abiding, God fearing Christian's to take arms to defend themselves.  I recommend that you spend more time in honduras before you spend any money on real estate and learn about the culture and its people.

I have family there. I've spent around 6 months there by now. I have experience with the people, the police and the judical system. And, as far as I know, Roatan has very restrictive gun regulations.

I can't think of any problem in the past or in the future where a handgun would be helpful at all. Quite the opposite.

Why would I insult someones family? The biggest risk I see is either a traffic accident (guns won't really help there) or getting into a legal dispute and the opponent deciding it is cheaper to hire someone for murder than loosing the lawsuit. Not sure if in that case a gun would help at all (being shot in the head from behind you).

BTW did a foreigner ever get abducted for ransom?

NelsonG wrote:

I believe you are going to be in for a big surprise if you plan on living in Honduras.  Many of the Honduran men I know have weapons that they carry daily.  Those that cant afford a handgun will just as easily pull out a machete and chop your head off.  I've personally never had any problems but I know that if your disrespectful or insult a Honduran man's family it can quickly escalate to violence.  Guns and lack of proper gun safety is a real problem in Honduras.  Honduras is a country that does not trust its corrupt poorly trained police force and forces many law abiding, God fearing Christian's to take arms to defend themselves.  I recommend that you spend more time in honduras before you spend any money on real estate and learn about the culture and its people.

^^^ very true post

Well if you think stricter gun laws are going to help then god bless you. You are a very “special” person.

Hello,

All of the gringos I know have a gun or want one. Don't know of any that have had to use them, because they have them.

Personally, I would rather own a gun for my personal safety, help out others in a bad situation (family, friends and others) than to not own one. My opinion is for both in The US and Honduras.

I agree.

I have a gun here and several at my house in the US. Because I have them I never expect to use them.

Watch the news. If you are an American or Canadian living in Honduras you are safer in Honduras.

Regards