Do and don't in Honduras

Are you living in Honduras? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Honduras?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Honduras?

Thanks!

no comments at all ???

i was wondering the same thing...

I have lived on the Island of Roatan, Honduras, since 2007. While I cannot tell you about the mainland I definitely can share the 'Do and don't on Roatan'

I host a talk radio show on Roatan Radio, live streaming around the world where the topics I cover include insight on How you can tell a newbie will make it on Roatan
On that show I talked about; They don't come here thinking they will make their millions, they can enjoy 'nothing', have a sense of humour, not fretting when the cell phone or internet doesn't work, their first question is "which way to the beach," not "which way to Macy's.

I also did a show that highlighted Do and don't need on Roatan For this show I had a lot of fun sharing insight into day-to-day needs on Roatan, such as; you don't need to prove you know how to drive to get a driver's license, you don't need winter clothing, or anything with the word 'anti-freeze' on the label. But you do need; containers with tight fitting lids (preferably not metal,) you need to know how to convert US dollars to Limperas,  and how to stand up for yourself at the 'Your luggage isn't lost - it's just not here counter' posted athe Roatan Vortex website

While all my comments and suggestions are light-hearted, sometimes silly stories about life on Roatan, they all represent what I believe is the most important aspects of Do and don't on Roatan. Don't move to Roatan expecting to turn it into where you came from; instead do, enjoy and appreciate everything it has to offer you that is different from where you came from.

In Roatan, going to the bank = a social experience on most days.  We've been in and out in 10 minutes and other times there for over an hour to make a simple bank deposit.  Don't lose your patience - spend your time waiting catching up on the local gossip or reading a book.

When you see the store has something in stock that you use, buy it right then and there whether you "need it" or not - it may not show up again for 3-4 weeks.  Stocking up if you have space makes good sense on an island - you just never know.

Do get involved in your community - volunteering and joining clubs are a great way to meet not just your fellow ex-pats but to give back to the Island.

Do remember why you moved here in the first place - when I get frustrated from time to time I stand on my patio and stare out at the water and the sky and I remember why we chose Roatan!

I couldn't agree more about not expecting Honduras to be America.  Where would the fun be in that?  I never return home from a day driving around the island that I don't have a smile on my face.  One day a cow may be standing behind my car at the mall, another an islander with a lovely accent may explain to me that "de vedders" are coming (bad weather), or we've had a good laugh over my atrocious Spanish.  All of the policemen wave enthusiastically at me and there's nothing like diving year round in cool, clear water.
I do not own a pair of heels, a coat or a ball gown, but I do own several pairs of shorts, bathing suits and T-shirts.  I love it!

'Tis the time when church groups, college kids, medical groups, and wannabe missionaries descend upon Honduras with zeal and naiveté. And for those who us who have been here a bit, well, we kinda have some things we want you to know before you come.

1.  Don't flush the toilet paper. Seriously. Not joking. The sewer system of Honduras is antiquated, and it can't handle anything but your own organic matter. For a detailed discussion on this delicate matter, I suggest reading the blog post by Jamie, The Very Worst Missionary (her words, not mine). The extensive list of  comments on her blog go into great detail on toilet matters.

2. Bring mosquito spray. If you haven't kept up with the news, the president of Honduras declared a national emergency concerning a dengue fever epidemic last week.  There is no cure for dengue fever, and in it's most severe forms, a person bleeds to death. Sounds fun? Nope. Bring long pants, long sleeves, and be careful. Be encouraged that most people contract the less severe form, which leads one to have fatigue, fever, and muscle  aches.

3. Clothing and fashion tips: Shorts are frowned upon by most Hondurans, although tight jeans and revealing necklines are quite normal for the ladies. Showing your legs is not a great idea. Also, leave your jewelry at home. What? The wedding ring, too? Yes, anything that costs more than $5 or $10 dollars in the States will make you appear fabulously wealthy here, and a target for thieves.

4. It's winter now in Honduras. Summer in the United States is hot and humid. June, July, and August in Honduras is generally cooler and rainier than in the US. In fact, we call it winter. No, we are not below the equator. That's just how it works.

5. We don't use US dollars in Honduras. The Honduran currency is the Lempira, and the exchange rate is roughly 20 lempiras = 1 dollar. Credit and debit cards are used in large cities, but you will need Lempiras in smaller cities, preferably in smaller denominations.

6. Honduras is not an English speaking country, except for the Bay Islands. Honduras is a Spanish-speaking country. I know, I know, that's a shock. The whole world speaks English, right? Well, even people here who say they speak English often can only say a few things, like hello and how are you. After that, the friendly innkeeper will give you a blank stare as you ramble in English  about the problems in your hotel room.

7. Don't drink the water from the tap, but don't insult your host/hostess! Hondurans are not immune to tainted water, despite what you may have heard. They don't drink the water, and no one would serve you water or ice that was contaminated knowingly.

8. Leave your drugs at home. We have plenty here. Look at the example of Paris Hilton, supposedly caught smoking marijuana in South Africa at the World Cup. Seriously, if you need an aspirin, antibiotic, or most common medications, you can purchase them here cheaper and simpler than in the United States. Now, if you have a pre-existing condition, bring your medication. No need to bring a pharmacy in a suitcase to Honduras.

9.Bring your passport and a copy. Make 2 copies of your passport. Leave one at home. Yes, you need a passport, and it's best to travel within the country a copy then the real deal. Trust me.

10. Don't be too irritated that Hondurans may seem nosy, asking where you are from, who are your family, etc.  That's a good sign that they like you, and they want to be a friend. Be friendly, but be careful with answers to strangers.

I am certain that I omitted lots of stuff you need to know. Like it wouldn't hurt at all to look at a map before you come. Honduras is not an island.  Long-terms and repeat volunteers, please add to my short list of guidelines.

Hello Laurie,
Welcome on board :) and thank you for this very interesting post!

Let's not forget that the Bay Islands and the mainland of Honduras are very, very different locales. The mainland can be rugged, lots of crime, but has it's own beauty. Shorts and tanktops are not the norm here, but jeans and cowboy hats. So remember that the islands are recently additions to Honduras, as they were owned by the British Commonwealth for some time.

Do's and dont's on the mainland

Roatan is just another world, here's what you need to know to survive on the mainland:

Do's:
- Visit rural areas, beautiful nature, beautiful people.
- Visit Copan ruines.
- Visit Tela bay, think twice about tourist business in La Ceiba.
- Buy insurance.
- Get a good lawyer.
- Get a gun. Keep it at home hidden.
- Get a car.
- Get sunglasses.
- Get a mosquito net.
- Get a safe house.
- Register at your embassy.
- Listen to tips and advice from long term expatriates.
- Meet people, make friends, good real friends.
- Keep your guard up.
- Try honduran cigars.
- Always carry a cheap cell phone charged and with credit.
- Enjoy the beauty and rich culture.
- Drive carefully and deffensively, pray to God when you get into a vehicle that's going to go somewhere.
- Buy candles and a good flashlight.
- Keep a good spare tire on your car.
- Always use your common sense and intuition, if you don't have any, don't come to Honduras, it's wild in the mainland.
- If your business does not take off, leave. Honduras is not a good place without money.

Dont's
- Trust strangers.
- Trust politicians (actually, this is a universal dont's)
- Trust anyone with your money.
- Lend money to anyone.
- Show you have any money.
- Associate in business with locals.
- Buy property.
- Walk anywhere.
- Relax with excessively friendly strangers.
- Drink tap water
- Trust police officers, go up in the chain of command to whoever is in charge.
- Think you are above the law, or untouchable or inmotal because you are a foreigner.
- Get angry, you'll get nowhere.
- Expect things to go smoothly.
- Think you re smarter. Be legal, pay your taxes, sign contracts.
- Mess with drugs or dirty business, you'll end up dead.
- Go out without clean underwear.
- Do it without a condom.
- Try honduran desserts.
- If you get into trouble, do not fight, do not oppose, do not resist, do not get killed. Run away from trouble as fast as you can

Sorry I'm harsh, better be sorry than dead. 12 years in Honduras, with beautiful and horrible experiences in the luggage.

Jotxo

Hi Joxto, thanks for your input which will surely be very useful for newcomers :)

Have a nice day further
Arlette

You're welcome Arlette. This is a REALLY NICE webpage. Congrats to all founders, moderators and administrators.

Jotxo

DO:  Be respectful - use your greetings and manners, no matter who you are speaking with.
     Be positive - relax and go with the flow, life is full of unexpected adventures so be ready to adapt. Bank lines too long - go find some lunch; Plan A isn't going to happen, come up with a Plan B sort of approach to living here.
     Remember that YOU are the guest here, no matter if you're visiting for a week or living here for 6 months at a time. What you do and say reflects on all of us.
     Keep life simple - you don't need a car - use the taxis or hire a driver, use the transit buses or intercity ones. There are lots of choices!
     Do join the Yahoo group called Honduras_Living for factual information from expats and catrachos actually living in all parts of Honduras.

DON'T  Buy a gun.
       Get involved with street drugs.
       Be drunk in public.
       Think that you know everything - you don't when it comes to living and simply being here in Honduras!
       Compare anything to 'back home' be it customs, practises, food, money, people, etc. You aren't in Kansas anymore....

I've lived in La Ceiba (winters) for the past 8 years and watched this city change over time. Yes, there is more of a problem with petty crime (muggings, extortion, etc.) and crime associated with gangs and drugs but primarily it's simply crimes of opportunity, for economic survival so it is your own responsiblity to not make yourself a target, not 'hang out' in seedier areas or late night places. You must remember that you are the stranger, and generally very obvious by skin colour, so don't let down your guard.
At the same time, I just love living here. Living like a local, shopping in the streets, having a beer in working class casetas, playing on the beach with my (adopted) family, getting out into the mountains for picnics and just the small ordinary bits of daily life.
I've always felt welcomed, feel that I am extremely fortunate to live here and truly appreciate my friends and family here. Honduras isn't for everyone and sometimes that's why we like it here!

WOW!! starting to freak me out just a little!  I am letting my daughter come to Honduras to live for a year and now I want to wrap her in cotton wool before she goes.  I realise that most participants on this site are adults, but does ANYONE have some ideas about what teenagers do in their spare time?  I am trying to prepare her for everything so that she isn't too shell-shocked when she first arrives.
What about mail?  Do parcels generally get through?  She isa real bookworm, but won't be able to bring too many with her as they are so heavy.  I was hoping to post new ones to her every month.
PLEASE...anyone who reads this, tell me something FABULOUS about living in Honduras :)
Gracias

Dear NZ chica.

I have been living in Honduras for over 12 years now, and NEVER had any problem whasoever. My previous post was a bit creepy because the guy that started this tread was thinking about establishing a business in Honduras, and Honduras is a very difficult place to set up a business and a foreigner might get in trouble quickly if he/she steps on somebody's toes.
Dont' get me wrong. Honduras is a beautiful country full of warm, lovely people. The country has vast unexploited caribbean beaches, beautiful mountains, wonderful diving, and many things to do.
However, it is important to take some basic security measures that can be added up to USE YOUR COMMON SENSE.
Iĺl be glad to help you with some advice. Send me a Private message, maybe explaining me what your daughter is going to do there. Depending on where she'll be living she will have no trouble finding literature in english. But reading books in spanish can help a lot in learning the language. As for parcels, use UPS or other parcel service NOT the postal service.

It is important to know where you are going, Honduras is the second poorest country in Latin America, ill governed and has one of the highest homicide rates in the world. Violence is not directed against foreginers, as it is usually the product of turf wars between rival drug traffickers. Police is not very effective and sometimes corrupt, so the best advice is to stay away from truble.

I hope I was helpful. I'm posted as a diplomat in Tegucigalpa. Let me know if I can do anything for you or your daugter.

Jotxo

PS: I just saw your profile. Living in Honduras is not expensive, but all depends on what your daugter will be doing there, and the standard of living she wants to have. Cell networks are good and cheap, you can get a cheap phone and buy prepaid cards that can receive international calls free of cost. She should also get a small laptop to connect to the internet, maybe one of those 350$ netbooks, to use skype to make intl. calls, free wifi areas are very common in major cities.
Don't worry about your daughter, Honduras is a good place to grow up and mature and learn about the facts of life.