What do you do to make money to live in Mexico?

Very confusing story pkennedy1990,

It sounds like you came with no income source, but lots of tech stuff. The trick to a tech job is having the job before you come. Why tech gear and multiple VPN's?
Most of us seem to not be having the issues you are having. Most of us researched, went to the council in our country, cleared any conflicts about moving, made sure we had the income to support a visa and to support us while we found the perfect personal spot we could afford.

By not speaking the language because you are mad at Mexico, not seeking information from your Embassy because you are mad at them, serious trouble isn't far away. If I were you I would be worried about being deported. But that would put you back in your country.

Your post leaves me with more questions than answers. Questions like how do you maintain an internet connection, why did you move to one of the most expensive areas in Mexico, where do you live, and why are you dumpster-diving yet sitting in Starbucks? (  it can't be just free internet, there are limits to that also). Cancun fights to maintain the high-end tourist image, so I'm sure dumpster diving is a no-no.  Beverly Hills wouldn't want dumpster-diving either.

Good morning. I am very interested. Please do share more

Did you end up moving to Mexico and expanding? What kind of professional are you seeking?

My wife and I have also purchased 2 properties in Mexico. I am interested if I can open other businesses thru a corporation like you have done.***

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details only through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey I might get stuck here in Mexico and I was wondering what is it that you do?

I am interested to learn more about how you can earn money while living in Mexico. I speak fluent Spanish and have a very strong sales background.

hi Leslie,

Check the classified and Jobs section at the top of the page for ideas.

I'm hoping to teach in Mexico in September in an international private school. I am a fully qualified teacher and have taught abroad for over ten years. I may supplement my income through online teaching if I can match up the hours to the Asian hours.

Hello,

I am Canadian, in Cancun actually. If your add is actual please contact me
Louisa

@ddfleming

hi- yes I would like to know more.

my son and his partner from Merida have lived in the Cancun area 2 years.  I am a therapist(mental health and chronic pain education)

that would like to extend my business beyond the online entity it will become when I move there slowly in Jan.

live in the Chicago area now and just learning Spanish so i would be limited to working withEnglish speakers in Mexico.

thanks

Linda S

Prey the peso keeps falling against the dollar/

@sheehan10741 Not to worry, cause that's the only clientele who could affords such luxury.

@ddfleming

My plan is to spend time in Ensenada.   I'm a businesswoman and a Canadian citizen.  I'd like to learn more about making money in MX and being a positive influence on their economy.   Thanks.  Teresa. 

My husband works remotely as a software developer and I manage a site we built called expatsi.com that helps people decide where to move.

@ddfleming hello i am interested!

@ddfleming

1f917.svgGreetings, I am about to locate back to the Yucatan area, as I was a teacher, nanny in Tulum two years back.

I am a highly educated, multi skilled gal, who can usually find work helping families worldwide.

Can I know more about your internet business? I do not wish to teach children online, as it is

not a great way to learn. This is proven. I can be reached at ***..

Many thanks, and happy holidays...Connie S.1f4da.svg1f58a.svg1f3ad.svg1f3a4.svg1f33a.svg

Moderated by Julien last year
Reason : for your own safety please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Ronniestm

But of course, we all know that...but it isn't realistic thinking, is it?

@ddfleming

I'm very interested in knowing how you established your company and set it up to work from Mexico...

@ddfleming

I would like to get in touch with you...

Hello sheldonwalker211,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Could you please tell us why you want to get in touch with ddflemming?

Feel free to ask your questions here.

You will gather information easily like that.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Prior to a health injury, I used to sell my handmade jewelry in shows and galleries. I still have my tools and supplies and would like to return to my hobby business with pieces inspired by Mexico.

With a temporary or permanent residency visa, would I be allowed to sell my wares?

Thank you in advance.

Prior to a health injury, I used to sell my handmade jewelry in shows and galleries. I still have my tools and supplies and would like to return to my hobby business with pieces inspired by Mexico.
With a temporary or permanent residency visa, would I be allowed to sell my wares?

Thank you in advance.
-@Pepe Pitbull

OK 2021 me and my wife moved to mexico.  On the Denver consulate site the only full time residency option was retired.  In it they make you right a letter and sign it saying you will not work while in Mexico. So take that as you may.  Not sure about temp res status because we didn't want that with the going into inm every year. Full time is a one time at inm and done.  Now I see tons of x pats with rental property. So I assume Mexico does not consider that working. But making and selling I am not sure.

@Pepe Pitbull you dont need any permission in mexico to sell things in the street.. viva mexico!

@Pepe Pitbull you dont need any permission in mexico to sell things in the street.. viva mexico!
-@Skogenbosque

But to become a resident which you would need to do to live here last time I checked was 2800 USD a month of income outside of a job for temp, and 4200 USD a month for full time.  Just saying you cant come to Mexico to live without a income anymore.  Go check the Mexican consulate websites.

Hi to all, my personal opinion and knowledge on this subject of working in Mexico.

First, my wife and I are permanent residents of Mexico since 2017, when applying the INM told us that we haven't the authority to work whatever area. But we could apply for the working permit later, thus implying we would then comply with SAT legislation (equal to IRS or Revenue Canada).

Secondly, we support only local, legal businesses...in our area lots of foreigners come for the winter time and sell various services such as musicians, food, arts and crafts...if ever I talk with them or supporters I asked the following question: would you support a business in your home country that doesn't pay his fare share to the fiscal authorities thus helping the national economy.

Thirdly, this aspect also applies to rentals that are owned by foreigners that don't declare their rental income neither to the mexican tax authorities SAT neither in their home country...tax evasion!!!

Finally, we personally don't want to work in Mexico but help the locals and legal workers get a better way of lifestyle without trying to become more and more westernized.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

@MexicoAfterlife

Thank you for your reply. Your consulate experience is informative and revealing. This site's guide to Mexico states, "Once you are a permanent resident, you will have all the rights of a Mexican citizen, except the right to vote or serve in the military." But that hardly seems to be the case.

I will be using the consulate in Raleigh--maybe they'll eventually respond to my emails and phone calls--and plan to apply for permanent residency if requirements remain the same as listed this year 1f64f.svg

I'll definitely have to research further how Mexico legally defines working. I am neither physically or legally (I'm disabled) able to support myself through employment. Supplementing possibilities, on the other hand...

@mexicogc Thank you for your reply. I will investigate permission to legally sell a necklace or two each month.

But that's me. I shan't comment on someone else's decision to acquiesce or not to government extortion.

@mexicogc There are many Usbased companies that will hire you and you do not need a Mexican work visa for a us company. For a remote job that means only $7 an hour plus commmission for a 40 hour week. Paid directly to your PayPal, Venmo, Zelle etc. see glassdoor indeed and upwork. No high tech skills necessary just a cellphone internet and can get by on only $400 a week. See DebtHammer -

@mexicogc There are many Usbased companies that will hire you and you do not need a Mexican work visa for a us company. For a remote job that means only $7 an hour plus commmission for a 40 hour week. Paid directly to your PayPal, Venmo, Zelle etc. see glassdoor indeed and upwork. No high tech skills necessary just a cellphone internet and can get by on only $400 a week. See DebtHammer -
-@davedavis71

But are you legally in Mexico as a resident?  Vacation Visa is not a legal method of "living" in Mexico.  People need to be reminded of that.