Work remotely - temporary resident visa or tourist visa?

Hi all,

I am currently looking at moving from Australia to Mexico for 6months, I would be working remotely with my job does anyone know if I need the temporary resident visa or if I can enter on the tourist visa?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Tourist visa is fine if you not employed by a Mexican entity.

Hello Brittany Delahunty,

Welcome to Expat.com  1f601.svg

Please note that I have moved your post to create a new thread on the Mexico forum.

This way your question is more visible thus more chances of gathering information.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Brittany Delahunty

If you don't go over the 180 days a tourist visa is ok but in the airport they will ask you to show them the return ticket.

@Luna2020 Thought it was 6 months?

6 months is 180 days

@fsadowick it's up to 180 days for a tourist and the amount of days you're granted is determined by the agent. It's not automatic.

The 180 days seems to have gone back to pretty much automatic.   There was a stretch in late 2021-middle 2022 where I was regularly only getting what I asked for in terms of days, but at least entering in through MEX I have entered 3-4 times in the past 6 months and gotten 180 days unprompted. 

Immigration procedures in Mexico seem to be in constant flux.  Some places you need a form and return the stub at departure, others you just a get a passport stamp, there are also automatic gates that print out a form you need to keep, but no-one ever collects,   

If your coming and staying it would be safe to say get a temp or perm residential. Even quara has people talking about this. And latest I read is that inm is cracking down on digital nomads esp in Mexico city.

But if you want to roll the dice try to keep doing a vacation visa. Ever since inm finished testing the new software they have for tracking entry and exits all kinds of not so great to things have been happening to the vacation visa people. I know I wouldn't feel safe trying to live here on and off with a vacation visa. The quora one I was reading stared they have started to stamp no re entry on visa of people who are caught abusing the vacation visa.