What do you do to make money to live in Mexico?

Travelight I took her comment to mean that she is looking into providing telehealth (over the computer through an internet connection) psychological care to people in the US from Mexico.  This is how she could make money while living in Mexico.

Susan some people will pay out of pocket for that service.  I wonder if it matters what state you are licensed in then.

MagentaHeart wrote:

Travelight I took her comment to mean that she is looking into providing telehealth (over the computer through an internet connection) psychological care to people in the US from Mexico.  This is how she could make money while living in Mexico.

Susan some people will pay out of pocket for that service.  I wonder if it matters what state you are licensed in then.

Well, If that is what she is trying to say, that makes no sense to me. I can't imagine anyone in the U.S. seeking mental health care from Mexico. The other thing is she is a social worker , not a mental help Professional (MHP) or psychologist. Social workers manage obtaining treatment and find housing placement, and follow up care. If the people are in the U.S. I don't know why they would seek a social worker in Mexico to help them.

I could work in medicine here if I wanted to because they have a shortage of qualified nursing professionals for teaching positions. But the U.S. would not be too willing to have me teaching nursing from Mexico. There are also licensing issues, and funding issues.

We work in our home country until we don't need to work anymore. Then we comfortably retire and don't  need to make money.  The Mexicans struggle to earn a living and live on very small amounts of money.  You want to make money here?   Give me a break!!!!  Or just stay in your home country.  This is not the land of Milk and Honey, nor are the streets paved in gold.

Wow!  What a limiting point of view.  We live in a Global Economy and technology allow us to work anywhere there is an internet connection.  Usually epats have a much more positive outlook on life. Do you really need to impose limitation bias on other because you have them?  We live a in VIBRANT and growing Mexican community/economy.  There is OPPORTUNITY EVERYWHERE - it all depends on your perspective.  Thoughts are things...

:offtopic:

Seems that we have drifted way off topic. The topic is "What do you do to make money to live in Mexico?"

Mulfords opinion about thoughts being things is not the subject.  Negative opinions that drive a negative reality is not the topic either. Let's get back to What do you do to make money ?

YES!  Without JUDGEMENT Please!

ddfleming wrote:

YES!  Without JUDGEMENT Please!

Seems reasonable to me.

I attended a telemental health training.  They underscored the need to be licensed in the State the client resides.  I do not know all that needs to be known about it.  It would be nice if it worked without that especially for social workers, because their licenses are not reciprocal among the States.

I am a cpa and will be doing my work on computer. But I am curious what kind of help you need with your business? I am planning to move next year but trying to prepare myself.

Hello i read your reply and was wondering how i could get hired on. I'm living in mexico now and looking for a job. I am a hard worker and fast learner! Hope to hear from you soon!

Hello, I'm very interested in any business opportunities in Mexico. I'm trying to retire there very soon  any info you may have is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Tracy B...

My husband is in TJ already for a year and has struggled with income. We are seriously trying to find a solution to the income situation there. Would love to hear more about what you suggest.

I look forward to hearing more about your solution.

Darlene

To make the long story short I am considering moving to Mexico Playas Tijuana I need work fluent in both English and Spanish in the future if I can sell my house here I would like to open a business any suggestions please hmu

Ok, So Jher 42, Tlbigsby Darlene, and Baseball01.

first thing you might want to do is assess exactly what do you have to offer Mexico, because that is what it is about. The next thing is to realize the salaries are nothing like the U.S., but to balance that out the cost of living is not like the U.S. either.

Speaking some ,or a lot of Spanish is a major plus, but not so much in T.J. where many people speak both English and Spanish.

So where are the jobs, well I understand they are expanding English teaching in schools, do you have a degree ? They also seem to need people who can teach nursing, do you have a nursing degree ?  I'm told some resorts are looking for bilingual employees. Is there a U.S. company that might hire you to work in Mexico ? Some Uber drivers are bilingual people who moved to Mexico.

So , only you have the answers to these questions. If you have funds you might look into a hostel or B& B business, or explore what unique business Mexico might be interested in. Keep in mind that Mexico already has some highly skilled hard working people of it's own, so you have to work with and augment what is already there.

from Canada and we are developing real estate in Yucatan state on the beach

Hi there:  Read your post about your relocation to Mex, buying a property, opening a corp and running an online  business from there. Sounds great, congratulations!  My husband and I, we are trying to relocate as well and something like that is what we have in mind in order to generate some income, we are not retired yet.  Would you like to share about what type of online business are you running from there? I also read many expats saying that internet connection there is not good, some places dont even have it. What has been your experience?
Regards

Good topic. I was thinking about doing accounting and taxes online, as long as I can keep my existing clients and be able to obtain new ones online but worry about security of the data and my equipment. I am a CPA. Also there could be some issues with me being overseas processing sensitive information. So I am still thinking but not sure for now. Are there any CPAs working in Mexico?

You might want to check with these people. Ltobys

http://www.worldwide-tax.com/mexico/mex … ts_cpa.asphttps://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_s … ntant.html

@Itobys:  I am not sure about the security of the data, you will need to talk to an IT about that but the idea of keeping your current accounting job and doing it from there it seems a very good idea to me.  You just need your computer, an accounting software and a reliable, secure  internet connection.

Teach English as a Foreign Language.   That's foreign not second.  You'll need a BA in any subject and study for a few weeks to pass a proficiency test.  I did it for 30 years.  It's fun. 

It goes without saying to be welcomed here as a working person is no different that it is in your country .. if you have a profession they need you're good to go. 

Although Nationals can be great English teachers many adminers believe an L1 (English as your first language) offer a tad more.

Hi! I just joined the expats.com site and saw an old posting of yours about enlisting people in to your business. Can I get more information? I'll be moving to mexico this summer and looking for new opportunities to make a living.

joaquinx wrote:

I bet on football (soccer) games.

You might know my ex student, Jaime, an attorney who books the Chivas games.

I get a small income from making characters for a certain video game.  I am paid by downloads when the tally reaches a certain number.  So far I have almost 4 million downloads to my credit.   Been doing it for six years.

Hi!
My name is Alex, and me and my wife are planning to move to Cancun in April of next year.
I own a large E cigarette/vape shop in Massachusetts, but have recently learned that it is illegal to import/sell e cigs in Mexico.
We are planning on moving and staying with just our FFM tourist visa for the first year or so, coming back up north after 6 months to renew it.

Aside from the money I will have coming in from my business, we wanted to make some extra money locally, so my question is;
What can we do in Mexico to make some extra money? We were thinking of just renting a small area on one of the strips on Isla Mujeres and setting up a table for my wife to do nails/manicures. I'm just not sure what is involved in doing something like that.
If you have ANY suggestions at all it would be hugely helpful.
Thank you for your time,
Alex

We work in IT remotely and also order products from China and sell them on Amazon.  If you'd like to know how, look up junglescout and YouTube has info on Amazon sales.

Hi
Though your post is an older one, I wanted to ask what your online work might be. My wife and I are semi-retired, moving soon to Puerto Morelos.
Can you give me insight on your opportunities?
Thx Don

Baseball01 wrote:

To make the long story short I am considering moving to Mexico Playas Tijuana I need work fluent in both English and Spanish in the future if I can sell my house here I would like to open a business any suggestions please hmu

If you are living in Playas de Tijuana you can work in San Diego. earning an income in San Diego will allow you to obtain a Temporary visa, After two years you'll be able to obtain a permanent visa. Once you have that you are good to go anywhere in Mexico and start a business or work legally.

DARLENEKOLIVER wrote:

My husband is in TJ already for a year and has struggled with income. We are seriously trying to find a solution to the income situation there. Would love to hear more about what you suggest.

I look forward to hearing more about your solution.

Darlene

He needs to get a job in San Diego.

Look into Digital Nomad type jobs.  Options include teaching English online, Virtual Assistance etc.

Interested!

Unless a Permanent Resident, You must be Sponsored by a Company.  Most People Sell Timeshare or work for Resorts. Do not believe the Comission Rates quoted, Unless you Are A FRIEND of The Hiring manager. You Will have to have your Work Status in Hand to Even observe the Job. You can Dumpster Dive,Start a Business, or invent your own money like Bitcoin
Sell at A Bazaar, Flea Market on Amazon or Similar Sites. Good Luck!

yes i am blind in my right eye so i use caps. i am interested in the former california attorney's regarding working in mexico. i have a brother who is a attorney in georgia and florida. i have had a real estate lic. in ga. and fla. my stepson is a professional muscian recording in malibu now. what a great deal the record companies offer! 8,000,000 plays on spotify you get $30,000! have my own ideas for a business. just need opm.
thank you,
mexico joe in mescales nayarit mexico, puerto vallarta

I was thinking more of like online jobs for US companies. I already own a business in the states, but without residency I don't know if I will be able to do business down there.

Hi, I am definitely interested in learning more about making a living in Mexico.

Please get back to me even though your post was last year.

My husband and I are looking to take early retirement and move to Mexico. We would still need to supplement our savings to last until we qualify for Social Security. What can you share about your plan and situation?  Our goal is to land somewhere along the Riviera Nayarit between Bucerias and La Penita.

Thanks

I have my SS income, but I am interested in learning about a second income source.

ckinstle wrote:

I have my SS income, but I am interested in learning about a second income source.

If you want to just be a visitor, SSI would probably be oK. But if you want a more permanent visa, likely not. If you could find a job that would support you going to Mexico to work for them it would be the best plan. You know what your skills are so you would be the best judge of what that job would be. Remember that the income for jobs in Mexico is not high, and Mexican Nationals are looking for jobs also.
Buena suerte

Yes I would like to know more .  Send me what you have ..

Best bet is working remotely, which will avoid penalties which most countries would impose on holders of temp or retirement visas.  Years ago I did teach in Mexico, but was sponsored by the university.  In later years, I had formed my own Internet-based business and just worked on my computer in DF and Cuernavaca. Never had any problem with connection, but in Cuernavaca had to buy giant-sized surge protector.

You can't dumpster dive here, they chase you away, call the police or arrest you!! I've gotten thrown out of mall food courts in Cancun for 'stealing' since that's what they think that is here.
Seriously, in what part of Mexico can you dumpster dive and not get in trouble with the authorities? I hate this country, thinking they're arresting me for trying to EAT.

Where can you find these online jobs that don't mind if you're in Mexico? Everything I applied for before I got the 12 different VPN's would just ignore me or outright tell me that the reason for rejection was my "location and time zone." Or I'd apply for things that said "remote" or "online" through Craigslist and when they'd ask me where I actually was I'd tell the truth and then never hear from them again! It seems like the online employers discriminate against anyone whose computer is located in Mexico assuming they're Mexican, with the implied "Spanish speaking only, language barrier, uneducated, incompetent, lazy," whatever the world thinks of Mexicans which of course is based on what the US thinks of Mexicans, etc. I mean, WTH?? I'm not Mexican but because I"m IN Mexico I'm getting treated like a "Mexican" by not only Mexico itself but the rest of the world now!!!

What jobs don't do that? And I mean in things like I.T. help desk support (I have an all-new Skype account and a headset) or database management or database analysis or research analysis or other things that someone with "only a Master's" in I.T. could GET -- so far I'm trying every book-translation website I can find but the "royalties" for those have thus far amounted to a whopping £0.21 for one of the books I've done since March. I'll be living at Cancun airport and starving off of that, because when they see me at the "poubelles" (this country has thrown me out on the streets so much I refuse to speak their language now or be treated by the authorities like I look like I SHOULD and thus, not even given an interpreter for these "encounters" where they're throwing me out or whatever). I read about a woman who lived at Cancun airport for about a week or two but not very much longer than that (not like in "Terminal Man.")

It seems all the online jobs are based in the USA which as everyone knows discriminates heavily against Mexicans in employment, especially the kind that could be done remotely from anywhere like Antarctica let alone Mexico. I've had places I was trying to deal with, break through my VPN's and tell me that the reason they weren't going to deal with me was that my I.P. address was showing Mexico!!! That's how bad it is up there!! So, no, really, where do they NOT do that sort of thing?!

Oh and also I lost my ability to use my PayPal account when PayPal froze it just because I was using it from Mexico (they admitted that in the Better Business Bureau complaint). So that eliminates most online work, too, now that I think about it, except what few places would deposit directly into my 'real' bank account via SWIFT. I'm still trying to earn money to replace one of my damn passports from that theft months ago; one family member did send enough into my PayPal account which promptly got it FROZEN. Embassies and consulates won't help you if you don't have "friends and family" with enough money to send you, they're stingy that way these days. I think I'd be better off as a completely Stateless Person and claim refugee status at the Belize border the way I'm going.

Trying to teach English online doesn't seem to be working for me; as soon as places see my picture I'm sure my application goes in to the cyberspace "round file." "Whites only." I sit here at Starbucks or McDonald's applying for so many things online that I'm pretty sure I'm using up all their bandwidth! Only to hear NOTHING ever. And it's not "this is summer vacation, no one is at their computers right now..." this has been the case since before summer started. It seems like "help desk I.T. support" type jobs are all IN the US and want YOU in the US or else you don't get the time of day. Or maybe they want people in India, Pakistan, or the Philippines just not HERE.