Following fashion in Colombia

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Colombia? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Colombia? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Colombians usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

Men, you can save plenty of bucks in Colombia by following my simple rule for COL Expats:

Don't waste your money on suits .. or jackets of any kind.

(Bogotá may be an exception, I wouldn't know.  But with the altitude and the traffic and the pollution, I don't think Bogotá is a top Expat destination -- unless you are offered a job to go there.)

I'm on my third trip to the Coffee Zone (and Medellín) since last June .. and I have never brought a jacket with me or bought one in COL.  Haven't needed one. :)

In about four years living on this continent, I've never worn a suit in South America.  Never felt out-of-place for lack of one, either.

I've had meetings at attorneys' offices .. visited a presidential palace .. and met with a nation's top drivers-licensing official at her office.  Never wore a suit.  Not once.  Didn't need one.

If I got invited to a wedding or a cabinet minister's office, I wouldn't invest in a suit.  I'd wear my customary tie and an appropriate shirt. :D

Wear a suit on the streets of Cartagena or other lowland place of heat and humidity? :cool:  Don't be redonculous!

There are plenty of productive ways to spend your dollars and pesos in South America.  Buying a suit, IMO, is not a value play. :dumbom:

cccmedia in La Zona Cafeteria of Colombia

cccmedia wrote:

But with the altitude and the traffic and the pollution, I don't think Bogotá is a top Expat destination -- unless you are offered a job to go there.)

Then neither should be Quito and Cuenca for the same reasons.

Well, Nards, you're the authority on Cuenca, not me.

But it doesn't take an expert on these places to know that Cuenca is much smaller than Quito and Bogotá .. has less traffic and is doing stuff to lessen the effects of it .. and the altitude is not quite as much as in the big capitals.

So, IMO, Cuenca -- with its beauty, its strong Expat community and the factors mentioned in the preceding paragraph -- is a solid Expat destination.  In fact, it's a world-class Expat destino.

--------

As for Quito, that's a discussion for another day.

i predict that we'll have that discussion -- ‘Is Quito (still) a top Expat destination?' -- on another thread, and perhaps on the Ecuador forum...

...because right now, on this COL forum thread,
we're getting dangerously close to going ...  :offtopic::o

-- cccmedia in La República de Colombia

@cccmedia,

You completely missed OP's question. I think OP is asking what's trending in Colombia. I think one's preference is irrelevant to the question.

Just saying...

akabo wrote:

@cccmedia,

You completely missed OP's question. I think OP is asking what's trending in Colombia. I think one's preference is irrelevant to the question.

Wrong!

Priscilla asked multiple questions, including:  what do Colombians wear?  It wasn't just about what's “trending.”

Anyone paying attention can see that she asked about the cost of clothing, a subject on which my post has clear relevance.

For the purpose of this thread, I include Expats living in Colombia as being Colombians .. since this is expat.com ....

Whether one's personal preferences are relevant is a judgment call.  I was making a recommendation based on my experience and what I've seen.

My post was intended as a contribution to Expats .. offering the opportunity to save money on certain clothes that aren't required or are unnecessary in Colombia.

I stand by my post, my right to post it, and my intention to support other Expats regardless of what specific question appeared in a specific post.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

Style in Medellin is quite casual, becoming more stylish in areas such as Poblado and Tessoro, good advice would be to layer, adding and removing clothing according to the heat.

Fashion Trends in The Coffee Region:

Sheer Panel Sweater
Seam Detail Tee
Floral Applique Top
Pinafore Jumpsuit
Blouse
Satin Blouse
Sunglasses
Daisy Jacquard Dress
Embroidered Kimono Jacket
Jeans
Printed Trouser
Silver Brogues
Boots
Slip On Sneakers

(by Luis Miguel Suarez Escobar )

Regardless of this season's trends, keep these thoughts in mind....

“Whether or not embroidered kimono jackets or sheer panel sweaters are the rage this month in Coffeeland, a classic look worn well makes your presentation a winner.”

-- cccmedia

“Women who are devoted to beauty are being tremendously generous of themselves.”

-- Personal-presentation expert and author Robert Panté

“Fashion is something that comes from within you.”

-- Ralph Lauren

“Don't be into trends.  Don't let fashion own you.  Decide what you want to express by the way you live and the way you dress.”

-- Gianni Versace

It is quality rather than quantity that matters.
(Lucius Annaeus Seneca)

Prisilla,
you should look with Alba velasquez. she has lost cost good clothes. she herself goes to USA, India select pcs to sell here in Medellin.
I will recommend her.  facebook.com/tyagiindiansytle or instagram Tyagi Indian Style or call her at 3137975788. she lives in Envigado.
Roger

Rajnish Tyagi wrote:

Priscilla,
you should look with Alba velasquez. she has .. good clothes. she herself goes to USA, India select pcs to sell here in Medellin.
I will recommend her.... she lives in Envigado.

Dear Rajnish,

We're lucky to have Priscilla moderating some of the expat.com forums.  She does a great job and is extremely consistent in the quality of her work. :top:

However, her purpose as the OP on this thread was to spark conversation about at topic of interest, not to find clothes in Envigado for her armario.

Priscilla works out of expat.com's Home Office in the Mascarene Islands, five thousand miles from Alba's store.  Since it's now typhoon season over there in the Indian Ocean, probably the last thing on Priscilla's mind at this moment is visiting Alba's clothing store in South America. ;)

Drinks are on me the day that Priscilla visits Medellín, Colombia. to select garments that Alba had picked out in India. :D

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera