Considering moving to DR - SO may questions!

I apologize in advance if my questions have been asked a hundred times before - at the moment I am simply overwhelmed trying to research on the internet (and having just joined this forum am overwhelmed trying to figure out how to navigate here! lol).

I just recently found myself unemployed unexpectedly and received a package from my employer. One of the options I'm now considering is pursuing a long-time dream of moving south. I have traveled extensively in the Caribbean and Central America and it seems like the DR is the best all around option. I am a single mother with an 8 year old child which complicates the decision somewhat. I would be looking to either (a) buy a rental property like a 4-plex where we could live in one unit and rent the other units for income, likely on a weekly basis; OR (b) buy a single family residence in which case I would need some income from a job either in the area or remotely via the internet.

1. LOCATION: Where would be the best place to live? Priorities are: close to the beach; safe; low price real estate; close to shops/restaurants; child friendly; close to expat community; and good school options. I have been looking at real estate on various websites and found lots of great prices but not sure I'm looking in the right area. There seems to be lots of reasonable options in Sosua.

2. SCHOOLS: How much would it cost for my son to attend school at an international school (we are both learning Spanish but he at this point primarily speaks English)?

3. JOBS: I have a university degree and a solid work history as a professional. What kind of jobs are available and what would the salary range be?

4. HEALTH CARE: Do you actually need a health care plan or is medical care affordable without a plan?

5. COST OF LIVING: My research thusfar suggests that an expat could live comfortably for around $600 to $900 per month (assuming owning a paid for home and therefore no rent). Is this actually realistic?

I would very much appreciate any input on any or all of these issues. :)

Welcome to the forums, there is a huge amount of info here.  So some answers:

1. LOCATION: Where would be the best place to live? Priorities are: close to the beach; safe; low price real estate; close to shops/restaurants; child friendly; close to expat community; and good school options. I have been looking at real estate on various websites and found lots of great prices but not sure I'm looking in the right area. There seems to be lots of reasonable options in Sosua.SOSUA IS NOT A PLACE I WOULD CHOOSE TO RAISE A CHILD BUT I DONT REALLY LIKE SOSUA.   REAL ESTATE IS FOUND BY WHAT WE CALL BOOTS ON THE GROUND. YOU NEED TO COME DOWN AND CHECK OUT VARIOUS PLACES FOR OPTIONS,  SOSUA, CABARETE,  PUERTO PLATA,  COSTAMBAR ON THE NORTH COAST ALL HAVE EXPATS,  SCHOOLS AND ARE EXPAT FRIENDLY AND IN SOME AREAS  REASONABLY PRICED

2. SCHOOLS: How much would it cost for my son to attend school at an international school (we are both learning Spanish but he at this point primarily speaks English)? THAT I CANNOT HELP YOU WITH SORRY.

3. JOBS: I have a university degree and a solid work history as a professional. What kind of jobs are available and what would the salary range be?
DEGREE IN WHAT? DO YOU SPEAK SPANISH AS MOST JOBS WILL NEED IT. YOU WILL NEED RESIDENCIA AND YOUR CEDULA TO WORK LEGALLY HERE. THERE IS A WHOLE THREAD ABOUT THIS. 
4. HEALTH CARE: Do you actually need a health care plan or is medical care affordable without a plan? YES YOU DO AND IT IS INEXPENSIVE THE GROUP PLAN I OFFER -  2 OPTIONS ONE IS ABOUT  us $37 A MONTH AND THE OTHER US$ 49 A MONTH, INCLUDES PRESCRIPTION COVERAGE AND DENTAL

5. COST OF LIVING: My research thusfar suggests that an expat could live comfortably for around $600 to $900 per month (assuming owning a paid for home and therefore no rent). Is this actually realistic? HARD PRESSED TO DO THAT IN THE BEGINNING  AND WILL NOT INCLUDE SCHOOL FOR YOUR CHILD.