Current conditions in the Philippines ?

I've been considering a trip BUT the Philippine president does not seem to be overly friendly toward Americans.  I have to wonder...

Is this a country currently feeling anti-american?  Will I be safe?  I'm 67 and a bad leg...

I was thinking about going there to look for a wife.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

I've been considering a trip BUT the Philippine president does not seem to be overly friendly toward Americans..

He's a politician - live with it

TheDigitalMage wrote:

Is this a country currently feeling anti-american?  Will I be safe? .

Other Americans there seem safe, but perhaps a couple will comment on their personal feelings regarding safety.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

Prepare to lose all your money, possibly ending up homeless.
Finding a lady as a result of an accidental meeting, hitting it off and getting married is one thing; looking for a woman commonly leads to problems.

yeah...i agree with your thinking..i built a cottage near the beach in NEGROS......i am 74 and my filipina gf is 23...she is a good girl...no problems...but with this new negative president hating americans , he is a muslims....i am working in india and my contract is up in december...i have lived in thailand many times....i just found a very nice condo near a beach ..the place is very nice with two pools and a fitness center..my monthly cost is $217 a month.....where can you live for $217 a month ???....JOE

DigitalImage:   Before you go...if you are in the U.S., check if there is a Filipino-American association in your city.  I have been a member of a Fil-Am group in almost every city I've lived....from every corner of the U.S. even overseas (Japan, Germany, Spain).  I am now a member of a Fil-Am association near where I live.  I am an American by the way....with cultural, emotional and linguistic ties to the Philippines.   Joining Fil-Am associations is a good and fun way to maintain my ties to the Philippines.   In time, perhaps soon, I'll travel again to the Philippines.    I have known at least half a dozen Americans who found Filipina wives at these associations. ...and I have met quite a few eligible Pinays at their gatherings and events.  Not for myself, I'm already married.  Advantage here is...they are already in the U.S....so their motive for marrying is not to be able to come to America (common motive, but not all, of course).
  But if you're anxious to get there...go for it....find your dream wife or get taken attempting.   So far my cousins and fellow expats in this forum tell me it is safe to go to the Philippines.  The news media has to make it more dramatic (appear dangerous?) than it really is.  How else can they make money?   Good luck, however you want to do it.

JOE CLOUGH wrote:

...but with this new negative president hating americans , he is a muslims..

This is a pure 100% inaccuracy, and I'm unsure why anyone would make such a silly claim.

In fact he's Catholic (For what it's worth as he doesn't especially push any religion unless it suits him), and claims to be less interested in religion because he says he was abused by a priest as a child.
He goes on to claim God put him in office - a bit of a double standards going on there, but he's a politician, so we can expect lies and double speak.

Hello TheDigitalMage, Just a personal opinion  as an American  spending most of the past 3 years living in the Philippines. Its not the citizens  that are  suddenly anti American, but President Duterte and his anti American rhetoric as he tries to opens better  relationships with China and Russia  to benefit his country. As a 63 yr. old  self reliant American pensioner , i cant think of another developing 3rd world country where most of the citizens speak good English. As for the inexpensive cost of living and a great social life i enjoy here for myself i am having a great time. I find the citizens here  friendly  and never heard  or saw a  negative anti  American remark towards me  from the locals i deal with here.  Unfortunately in the past month, i have closed all my bank accounts here and in no way would i make a large purchase or investment  like a condo or   a car now .International investors are with drawing between 1/2 and 1 billion pesos per day from the Philippine markets  for over a month now.  I did see the burning of the American flag and the protest of about 1000 people at the US Embassy in Manila the other day demanding all American troops get out of there country. I also saw a small group of maybe 100 people protest and the burning of another American flag in the divisoria here in Cagayan de Oro city the other day. I chose to leave the area and for the first time in 3 years did not have that warm and fuzzy feeling here. I wish President Obama had the balls to just order all American troops off Philippine soil.  I will wait until President Duterte  puts his demands into writing and law about his desire to have all American troops leave his country and see if that includes all American citizens and expats. I am fortunate to have the financially ability to live in any country i choose. I refuse to live in a foreign country  where i dont feel welcome. I am planning a trip to Thailand in January and read its a great place to visit and even live . I look forward to a new adventure.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

I've been considering a trip BUT the Philippine president does not seem to be overly friendly toward Americans.  I have to wonder...

Is this a country currently feeling anti-American?  Will I be safe?  I'm 67 and a bad leg...

TheDigitalImage,

While I think Scott1953 had a good answer, Fred's replies were also on the mark.  The U.S. president has been pontificating and blathering on about what groups of people in the U.S. he does or does not like for nearly 8 years and the Philippines president like Obama is a politician and full of bluster as is the norm with most politicians.  His statements are in part due to the U.S. Ambassadors comments made during the election cycle with regard to the drug policies and a statement made about a rape in the Philippines. Since that time Obama has decided to lecture Duterte on the proposed building of coal fired power plants in the Philippines while reminding him or the Paris agreement signed by Aquino with regard to climate change to which Duterte replied, I didn't sign it.  The Obama admin then sided with human rights groups and the U.N. to condemn Dutertes drug policies as well as canceling a meeting with Duterte in  in Vietnam because of a remark he made about Obama who then in his typical arrogant and thin skinned manner responded with a cancellation of the meeting and a few rude remarks of his own.  Mr. Duterte to put it all in a nut shell said that he was tired of interference and insults from the U.S. and judging from the U.S. foreign policy blunders over the past 8 years plus, it comes as no surprise.
Mr. Duterte has since clarified his comments in a statement made in Davao, stating that his comments were made with regard to foreign policy and not diplomatic ties. 

Link to current comments and clarifications by Mr. Duterte:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-21/d … na/7952628

That being said, I do not believe that Duterte "hates Americans" any more than he does any of group of people and at this time as Scott1953 said a little caution may be prudent and Cagayan de Oro IS on the list of possibly unsafe places to be in the Philippines.

My wife and I pay attention to the politics but do not comment and simply stay out of it. We have a neighbor with a cousin who was going to run of the office of president and is obviously well connected. She, he and others while participants in the federalist movement and have been participants at a number of meetings with Mr. Duterte present with regard to the federalist movement, have not made any comments about American or other foreigners in the country except for those who are deemed undesirable, with specific comments about loudmouthed drunks and womanizers.  I assume you are not one of those.

With regard to finding a wife!  Touchy subject here as many expats are married to very young Filipinas and tend to become a little defensive about the subject. Many claim to have long lasting loving relationships and some no doubt have, though coming here to find a wife will probably not end well, though you will no doubt have no trouble receiving the attentions of some woman old and young, why you are getting it should be your concern, for love? or money?  Loving relationships don't happen overnight and if you are willing to invest in the time it takes to really get to know each other, then maybe love will grow. But I doubt there is a magic love now potion.

Are you familiar with the many scams with Filipinas?  You may be given a rufie and accused of rape, An intimate one on one with a young lady can lead to a mugging or other accusations.  Caution, because this DOES happen.  You could wind up having your wallet, passport and belongings removed while you snooze leaving you homeless, penniless and without a passport begging for help at the U.S. Embassy. All are possibilities.

Lastly, my wife and I feel happy and safe in our area and have heard NOTHING with regard to anti foreigner sentiment except for the before-mentioned undesirables that seem to disgust some Filipinos but not to the point of anger. Be courteous, be humble, don't argue and keep your money out of sight. Enjoy the attention of the woman but hold them at arms length if you can and let the head on your shoulders and common sense make the decisions about women.

Be safe and enjoy and keep your wits about you, this is a foreign country and a culture unlike what you are used to in the U.S.

Regards,

TeeJay

Hi Teejay, You make a lot of good points in your note. Seems its the politicians, full of there rhetoric that causes most of the misunderstanding and wars in the world, not the people. The USA can no longer afford to police the world and get involved in every conflict. Being near 20 trillion in debt and owing China near a trillion dollars and Japan near a trillion dollars alone tells me we need to bring our brave troops and equipment home and fix up our crumbling infrastructure. I agree with you 100% and stay out of other countries politics. Follow there laws and respect there cultures or move on.

just come over a lot of us dont have time on our side, its safe if your carefull, looking for a wife who wont rip you off can be a challenge, if not almost impossible, i did it but after many failed attempts wont happen overnight, not one foreigner living here who has not been conned one way or another, i was told at immigration that the president wants to extend foreigners stay to 5 years, so hes not planing to kick anyone out yet. only advice do not rush in with a girl ( women ) dont let them organise you, if they ask for money for any reason at all, even ask you to by them a drink, drop her fast. dont live with her too soon a break up can become very bad for you, everyone is on her side. dont be put off by this, its just you have to be very carefull if your here on your own.keep your hand on your wallet, remember to the pinoys your a walking ATM machine.

Sorry guys but I am always laughing when I read about so many stereotypes !  I am French, one of my brothers was married to an American lady.... when they divorced, the whole clan of the lady was against my brother, and my family was with my brother. There is nothing special with Philippines, only a natural reflex in cross-cultural marriages !

I thank you, Good Gentlemen (one and all) for taking the time to reply to my message.

Some sage advice, to be sure :)

I was in Cambodia briefly.  I am acquainted with the "walking atm" concept.

What of the executions of "drug dealers" we hear about?  Without trials?  Somebody SAYS you're a drug dealer and you're killed?  What's going on?  Killed?  For a joint?  Is this happening?  Who is doing the killing?

I wonder how they think that will affect their tourism numbers...

Please excuse my "western media mentality"  - like so very many others, it's all I have.

Mt story is simple.  I was hit on my bike on 4/13.  I still don't walk well - at all.  Now I will get a little money.  Now is decision time.

There are things about this country I like - the roads, for example.  There are other things - many of them - that say I should leave here, and never look back.

I am now between India and the Philippines.  I was in India.  Dealing with those good people can be like chewing on a brick - one that won't fit, in your mouth!  And they just love putting you through it.

In any decision you have to ask yourself - what do I want?  So simple.  I want to live out the rest of my days, in peace. 

I hear you talking about women there and money.  What of here?  Is money not a factor in women's choices, here?  Seems to me they qualify you on that basis on the first date...  Some say all women are prostitutes, the difference being the length of the engagement. 

Being "old" gives me license to muse.  It's fun.  You oughta try it :)  My mind (or, what there is left of it - lol) goes back to a passage from a book.  King Daniel is speaking, "...cause, and effect, the sequence of events - be these the manner, in which a man thinks.  Logic, my friend.

Only God knows how a woman thinks and I strongly suspect He has chosen to forget that knowledge, lest it interfere with HIS ability, to reason!"

At any rate I am aware that there will be a monetary component in any relationship.  I am also aware I am old, and gnarly - rofl.  Still, I think it's possible to live with a young woman (25 or older!  I'm not into babysitting.)  and get along well; be happy.  So I hope, anyway...

I can come anytime.  I want to escape the huge city of Manila right away.  Where should I go - what town?  PLEASE - some little place that is not crawling with hookers!  I'd like to meet some of you?

Upon reading my message I see a possibility of offending someone.  Certainly, that was not my intent.  It's just that there is a lot of time in between.  So you need to be able to talk.  I'm sorry but I feel that, IN MY CASE, a woman of at least 25 years would be required, to hold my attention in conversation.

Certainly, no offense meant :)

TheDigitalMage wrote:

, IN MY CASE, a woman of at least 25 years would be required, to hold my attention in conversation.

Certainly, no offense meant :)

At least you're aiming at real women and intelligent conversation over a 'sex slave' type wife who is just a kid.
Many go to Asian countries after 16 year old kids (or younger), something I find less than reasonable.
However, the advice about gold diggers remains intact.
Avoid bars and dodgy massage places in favour of social events attended by 'normal' people.

yes but your whole family, friends,relations etc dont live in the philippines plus the barangay captian and the local police are never on side with the foreigner, you can laugh as you say but many foreigners end up being deported just because their girl lied to police, a friend of mine spent 3 years in jail here because he left a girl after 4 months together, her young friends went to the police and said he tried to rape them, they later said in court that they lied for their friend so the foreigner would be deported, he was released without charge after 3 years in jail, he left never to return.
if you think its no different here to back home you better think again

Hey Barkz :)

OK, well, the name of the game around here is to get pregnant, then haul the guy (hell, any guy) into court.  With a 50% chance of being the father this state imposes child support...  Hasn't happened to me as yet but I keep pretty well to myself.

I thank you for this post.  With the moslem problem, the insane reports of people being shot dead with no trials, the country seeming to come down on individual Americans and now this I do believe the Philippines have been eliminated from my list.

I drove from Indiana to Panama City Panama in the 90s.  I thought it would be like here, more or less. I then realized just how God BLESSED lucky I was to return from that fiasco, at all!  Thank you God, for protecting me.  I certainly was too green to protect myself.

I still need a place to go.  Latin america is not on my list.  Those people are too hot blooded for me!

Any ideas?

I have lived in the philippines since 2009...but now working in india....my small cottage is on negros island....but its so boring 40 minutes from dumaguete..so i will go back to thailand after my work is finished here...Thailand has better food..better malls and you can travel easily to other countries....i found a very nice  studio condo with everything 200 m from the beach in hua hin for $217 a month....

Situation in the Philippines, changing daily.

Not sure if we can still smoke there or not?  (please I am not asking for a debate about smoking), just wondering if I will be able to have a cigarette when I arrive in a couple of days time?

Hello Digital Image, I dont know what papers your reading back there ?.............. 
"I thank you for this post.  With the moslem problem, the insane reports of people being shot dead with no trials, the country seeming to come down on individual Americans and now this I do believe the Philippines have been eliminated from my list. "  Sure its a fact the the new president is not fond of America, but i think he is smart enough to know he cant afford to lose our tourist dollars or trade or the multi million dollar hand outs we give him. I have spent the better part of the past 3 years living here and having the time of my life.  You have to much time on your hands to think the worst of this country. Get on a plane and spend a month here and see if it fits your life style. Be careful if you go to Latin America. After spending 6 wonderful years in central Mexico, i left because of the drug wars down there. Its a hell of a lot safer here in the Phil.

JOE CLOUGH wrote:

I have lived in the philippines since 2009...but now working in india....my small cottage is on negros island....but its so boring 40 minutes from dumaguete..so i will go back to thailand after my work is finished here...Thailand has better food..better malls and you can travel easily to other countries....i found a very nice  studio condo with everything 200 m from the beach in hua hin for $217 a month....

I am sure you are more familiar with Thilland than I, JOE.  Apparently their King is dying and, when He does, there is bound to be turmoil.  Cambodia is close, more friendly and cheaper by far, from what I have heard.  I was in Pnam Pen

The very best of luck to you, my friend.  Come back - stay in touch?

It's great to have a forum like this to read and learn from those who actually live in the country about their experiences.   I am indeed grateful.  But I am still on the cautious side.  The recent events won't scare me from checking it out for myself...so my trip there this winter is still on.  As an old buddy from Manila recently told me....the greater part of the population harbors no hatred for Americans, and it is STILL safe for Americans....and we'll see how it all pans out.   No worries for now....I think.   I'll keep checking the posts in this forum for any changes.

yeah, you can find a wife here.  No problem.  Just keep her and her relatives at arm's length because basically they, both lady and family, want one thing from you:  money and what it can buy.  They do not want your 67 year old body with the bad leg.

My experience which spans over 10 years, 2 Phil. wives, and 4 years in country:  many, many  philippinos donot like foreigners especially Americans.  They will never tell you to your face but resentment and mindless blaming of America runs very deep.

Safe it is here in P-land.  Never had violence committed on me.  Been cheated a billion times, food is generally not good (unless you train your wife to cook), and traffic is awful--really really bad, noise is everywhere, people pretend to speak Eng. but most only know the basics or less, your wife or gf may not know Engish but you are too busy making love to her to notice, the Pinoys conduct their toilet clean-up with their hand so be careful if they cook for you,  do not get involved with Philippinos as frequently there always jealousy and upset.  Besides that its a good place to be alone with a women who probably has a good figure but DO NOT trust her too much her family will always be number one and you will always be a foreigner whose main funcction is to give money.

I agree with most of what you say but Duterte, He really really hates Americans with a long-lasting and blinding fury and has hated us all his adult life.  It will not end from him.

Steer clear of all police , and all courts. Do not think the police will treat you fairly.  They are grossly underpaid and will side with any Philippino you get in a hassle with.    Indeed if you get into a hassle with a Philippino YOU WILL LOSE so just walk away and be smarter next time.

My replies have been negative.  Let me list some positives; If you like warmish weather you will find it here, you can find a pleasing female to share your bed with (it will cost you  but its less cost than states and the lady will no doubt have a better figure than stateside).   you can find adequate food but it costs more than Philippino food, you can find a nice beach (but do not live right on it--too many bugs).   you can get Cable TV and Internet for a reasonable price (both are slow and inconsistent).  You can buy a small cheap motercycle and use that to get around.  Cops will not stop you on Sundays or any day at rush hours.  If you like Karaoke you can find it here in many places.

USAMichael wrote:

I agree with most of what you say but Duterte, He really really hates Americans with a long-lasting and blinding fury and has hated us all his adult life.  It will not end from him.

I would tend to disagree (Probably)
He's a politician, and a very odd 'way out on the edge' one, meaning he'll say and do whatever suits him that morning, probably not much caring about, loving or hating anyone.

The real question here is, how does the general population react to foreigners?

USAMichael wrote:

My experience which spans over 10 years, 2 Phil. wives, and 4 years in country:  many, many  philippinos donot like foreigners especially Americans.  They will never tell you to your face but resentment and mindless blaming of America runs very deep.

If I may interject.
I'm going to enquire how other Americans in the country feel, and if they have the same very negative experiences.
I see from you're posts you enjoy the use of ladies who require payment, and that suggests you are in contact with a lot of less than pleasant people.

I recall a poster on another forum who insisted living in Indonesia was far more costly than living in the US and Indonesian girls were easy to bed, but he was also using prostitutes and hanging around in dodgy bars every night.
What I'm questioning is why you feel the locals hate Americans, and then considering the possibility they only hate some Americans, the ones who behave in a manner the majority of locals dislike.

Without making any assumptions or accusations, I wonder if ALL Americans are treated badly, or just some for given reasons.

Good people can agree to disagree...especiaaly about Digong.  Even his own cabnet probably comes to each meeting NOT know what version of dementia will show up.  But to the general question about Phil. people:  To your face and /or if you are with another Philippino, the typical Native will treat you normally and with politeness and Digong did not change that.   However, if you are out alone sometimes you will get a glimpse into the TRUE FEELINGS of Pinoys about their former colonial masters.  I have been told, "you stink" and had epithets and mocking loud talk directed at me especially by young yahoos.   I usually give it right back to them.

Fred wrote:
USAMichael wrote:

If I may interject.
I'm going to enquire how other Americans in the country feel, and if they have the same very negative experiences.
I see from you're posts you enjoy the use of ladies who require payment, and that suggests you are in contact with a lot of less than pleasant people.

I recall a poster on another forum who insisted living in Indonesia was far more costly than living in the US and Indonesian girls were easy to bed, but he was also using prostitutes and hanging around in dodgy bars every night.
What I'm questioning is why you feel the locals hate Americans, and then considering the possibility they only hate some Americans, the ones who behave in a manner the majority of locals dislike.

Without making any assumptions or accusations, I wonder if ALL Americans are treated badly, or just some for given reasons.

Well, this has been rolling right along!  I just received a notice of a new post - must be for at least 5.

I don't think civilian Philippinos hate, or even dislike Americans.  OTOH, in a poor country it's really easy to get people to believe the reason they can't afford the things they see on TV is some far-away monster, called America (or whatever they choose).  I've been given to understand that the North Koreans, for example, truly believe that if the Americans come we will EAT their children...

I also tend to believe the Philippine people elected this wako...

I have little doubt that the government there controls the media, just as they do here....

Frankly, it doesn't look good.  I'd hate like he77 to get caught up in something...

USAMichael wrote:

.  I have been told, "you stink"

It's a hot country, so just take more showers and this problem will go away.

Sometimes maybe it comes down to economics.  I have about $1100 in pension, (I make 300 more but I have a credit card debt) and the Phil. fits my budget.  If I had about $1600 per month I d consider Thailand.   The ladies there are just as pretty but its a little more expensive than Phil.  This nonsense about Philippinos all speaking English is negligible.  Thais speak a lot less English than Philippinos but it is just as easy as Philippines to live in Thailand.    Many many Phil. do not speak Engish although the country brags they all do.  It is simply not true.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

Whichever candidate wins in the next US presidential elections, heaven help us all.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

Is this a country currently feeling anti-American?  Will I be safe?  I'm 67 and a bad leg...

You stated that you are looking for a little peace. Aren't we all. I have found my version and I hope you find yours.

I will attempt to address a couple of things that may add or detract from that peace.

Patience:
In dealing with government offices or businesses here you will at times have your patience sorely tested, smile and sit back, your retired. If it doesn't take all day then spend the rest of it enjoying the fact that you have made it through the experience with most of your smile still in tact. Things move slowly and inefficiently at times.

When going to the grocery store (hopefully the area you choose has a decent one), remember that you are playing inventory roulette. What was there last time may not be there this time or you may never see it again. Adapt and try something different and look at the expiration date.

If you are on your own you may find it hard to do things without an ACR-I identification card which you will apply for after your first 59 days on your tourist visa.  Even then opening a bank account and getting a drivers license (for ID if nothing else) can be rough with the new FACTA laws in effect and the hassles the bank has in opening an account for foreigners.  One guy was told it is simply to much work for a low balance account that may only be open for a few months. Once again patience, check with all the banks in the area and you may find one more receptive than the others and I would try and use ATM's that a located inside the bank.

A friend on a tourist visa recently applied for a drivers license and was told he could not do so on a tourist visa or without and ACR-I card.  You could possibly receive a different response from one area to the next. Patience.

Internet is hit and miss at best and the little pocket WI-fi USB plugins or table top hot spot will give you service only in an area that has close proximity to a cell tower and then only if the equipment and antennas are maintained and can handle the traffic.  We have Globe and are happy with it. I would suggest purchasing a hot spot Globe or Smart (I pick Globe), and activate it with the employees assistance at the store and test it in their presence with your phone, Ipad, laptop or other device to make sure it works as it should,  Take it with you to what may be your new home and see if it works, if not. No internet and another test of patience and a lot of frustration.

Traffic is absolutely insane to say the least, you are not in Kansas anymore and the rules of the road are used to start a cook fire. If there is a space of more than 1 foot in front of your vehicle, every vehicle on the road assumes your are inviting them in, NO JOKE. Patience.  Let them in no matter how rude they may seem and you will be the winner. In an accident or confrontation as a foreigner the odds are NOT on your side. What's the hurry?  If you decide to drive, buy a dash cam and tint you windows with limo tint so your pasty white face cannot be seen. NO, it's not that bad, but it only takes one moron in a thousand to screw up your life. Caution and safety are good wherever you may be in this world and remember that driving at night here means vehicles with no lights, people in dark clothes standing in the road and obstacles like  a stack of concrete block in the middle of the road. Be careful.

When doing business, if you have a Filipino friend you can take along, it will help, possibly a lot. While English is understood and spoken, it is not done in most cases with fluency and a misplaced word can lead to misunderstanding and disappointment.

Climate:
Some like it hot, some like it cool. In Luzon, Baguio and Tagaytay (and it's surrounding area) are considered cooler than the lowlands or more southern areas. Though in the highlands you sacrifice the beach for cooler air. To be clear about cooler, I don't mean cold. While we lived in Imus Cavite near Bacoor the temperature would be 95 degrees F while at the location of our current home near Tagaytay the temp would most often be 7 to 10 degrees cooler. Currently per accuweather.  Makati is 91 F we are 80F.  The beach is about a 1 1/2 hour drive and that would be to a pay per use beach usually at a resort of some sort.
If you are in a hotter climate, more AC and fans and higher electric bills, a trade off. 
Close to our area is the Island of Mindoro and the Puerto Galera area where you can rent a furnished air conditioned apartment on or very near the beach for a reasonable price. 

Utilities:
Many areas of the Philippines are energy challenged and experience power outages every day or every other day and usually during the times you would like to have that AC on. That means a trip to the mall or your favorite beer or coffee spot that has it's own generator and you wait for the power to return. Patience.  The same can be said for water in some areas.  A big consideration if you are looking for a little peace and a cool breeze from the fan or a couple hours of AC.

Housing:
If you are looking for peace, choose carefully. Noise is a way of life here and is simply ignored by most local people. This includes 24/7 barking dogs, roosters who have no idea when sunrise is and loud music or karaoke's until .........sunup. 
We are about 10 minutes off the beaten path and at the end of a road where the neighbor's dog or dogs and roosters are heard faintly and we still hear the birds chirping clearly.  The places are out there, find the part of the Phil you like, rent a place temporarily and look for that permanent happy place to find your peace.  Patience.

Medical:
It's not the U.S. and your medicare is worthless here. The farther out you get the harder it is to find good medical care. We have found in our area decent medical care for minor problems and cannot speak to the more serious. I can only say that most of the many stories I have read find the patient at St. Lukes or a couple other around Manila or in some case when the budget allows and you have kept up your Medicare part B payments, you simply fly to the states or Guam, etc. to make use of your Medicare. 

Companionship will find you if you are open and many women like my wonderful wife of 10 years will be tighter with your money than you are and she is an excellent cook.  I for one have NOT been called names by locals except for the occasional "hey Joe".  The local businesses we frequent are welcoming and friendly as are our neighbors and barangay officials.  If you are hoping for a good woman I doubt that she will be at the bar or offering pay per play, I suspect you already know that.

Hope this provides some insight,

TeeJay

FilAmericanMom wrote:
TheDigitalMage wrote:

Whichever candidate wins in the next US presidential elections, heaven help us all.

Avoiding party politics as always, that pair are seriously rubbish.

Fred wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:
TheDigitalMage wrote:

Avoiding party politics as always, that pair are seriously rubbish.

Seems like most country's are rudderless these days.

In defense of my personal hygiene and in response to the wag that told me to "shower more frequently and the problem will go away,"   I dp shower everyday with soap and usuaaly apply deorderant and talcom powder.  A person needs to do that because its quite easy to develop a sweat doing any kind of, even light, activity here.   So really I end up taking 2 or 3 showers a day here.  Of course, that does not excuse the Philoppina, a stranger who I walked past in the mall, to say, "MABAHO" (stink) about me.   Hey, I get it...Philippinos do not automatically love foreigners.  They can be very xenophobic.  And they believe all sorts of myths about us, e.g., we are "oversexed." or we are all amazingly rich or the US secretly controls the Philippine gov't (pre-Duterte).

TeeJay4103 wrote:
TheDigitalMage wrote:

You stated that you are looking for a little peace. Aren't we all. I have found my version and I hope you find yours.

I will attempt to address a couple of things that may add or detract from that peace.

Patience:
In dealing with government offices or businesses here you will at times have your patience sorely tested, smile and sit back, your retired. If it doesn't take all day then spend the rest of it enjoying the fact that you have made it through the experience with most of your smile still in tact. Things move slowly and inefficiently at times.

When going to the grocery store (hopefully the area you choose has a decent one), remember that you are playing inventory roulette. What was there last time may not be there this time or you may never see it again. Adapt and try something different and look at the expiration date.

If you are on your own you may find it hard to do things without an ACR-I identification card which you will apply for after your first 59 days on your tourist visa.  Even then opening a bank account and getting a drivers license (for ID if nothing else) can be rough with the new FACTA laws in effect and the hassles the bank has in opening an account for foreigners.  One guy was told it is simply to much work for a low balance account that may only be open for a few months. Once again patience, check with all the banks in the area and you may find one more receptive than the others and I would try and use ATM's that a located inside the bank.

A friend on a tourist visa recently applied for a drivers license and was told he could not do so on a tourist visa or without and ACR-I card.  You could possibly receive a different response from one area to the next. Patience.

Internet is hit and miss at best and the little pocket WI-fi USB plugins or table top hot spot will give you service only in an area that has close proximity to a cell tower and then only if the equipment and antennas are maintained and can handle the traffic.  We have Globe and are happy with it. I would suggest purchasing a hot spot Globe or Smart (I pick Globe), and activate it with the employees assistance at the store and test it in their presence with your phone, Ipad, laptop or other device to make sure it works as it should,  Take it with you to what may be your new home and see if it works, if not. No internet and another test of patience and a lot of frustration.

Traffic is absolutely insane to say the least, you are not in Kansas anymore and the rules of the road are used to start a cook fire. If there is a space of more than 1 foot in front of your vehicle, every vehicle on the road assumes your are inviting them in, NO JOKE. Patience.  Let them in no matter how rude they may seem and you will be the winner. In an accident or confrontation as a foreigner the odds are NOT on your side. What's the hurry?  If you decide to drive, buy a dash cam and tint you windows with limo tint so your pasty white face cannot be seen. NO, it's not that bad, but it only takes one moron in a thousand to screw up your life. Caution and safety are good wherever you may be in this world and remember that driving at night here means vehicles with no lights, people in dark clothes standing in the road and obstacles like  a stack of concrete block in the middle of the road. Be careful.

When doing business, if you have a Filipino friend you can take along, it will help, possibly a lot. While English is understood and spoken, it is not done in most cases with fluency and a misplaced word can lead to misunderstanding and disappointment.

Climate:
Some like it hot, some like it cool. In Luzon, Baguio and Tagaytay (and it's surrounding area) are considered cooler than the lowlands or more southern areas. Though in the highlands you sacrifice the beach for cooler air. To be clear about cooler, I don't mean cold. While we lived in Imus Cavite near Bacoor the temperature would be 95 degrees F while at the location of our current home near Tagaytay the temp would most often be 7 to 10 degrees cooler. Currently per accuweather.  Makati is 91 F we are 80F.  The beach is about a 1 1/2 hour drive and that would be to a pay per use beach usually at a resort of some sort.
If you are in a hotter climate, more AC and fans and higher electric bills, a trade off. 
Close to our area is the Island of Mindoro and the Puerto Galera area where you can rent a furnished air conditioned apartment on or very near the beach for a reasonable price. 

Utilities:
Many areas of the Philippines are energy challenged and experience power outages every day or every other day and usually during the times you would like to have that AC on. That means a trip to the mall or your favorite beer or coffee spot that has it's own generator and you wait for the power to return. Patience.  The same can be said for water in some areas.  A big consideration if you are looking for a little peace and a cool breeze from the fan or a couple hours of AC.

Housing:
If you are looking for peace, choose carefully. Noise is a way of life here and is simply ignored by most local people. This includes 24/7 barking dogs, roosters who have no idea when sunrise is and loud music or karaoke's until .........sunup. 
We are about 10 minutes off the beaten path and at the end of a road where the neighbor's dog or dogs and roosters are heard faintly and we still hear the birds chirping clearly.  The places are out there, find the part of the Phil you like, rent a place temporarily and look for that permanent happy place to find your peace.  Patience.

Medical:
It's not the U.S. and your medicare is worthless here. The farther out you get the harder it is to find good medical care. We have found in our area decent medical care for minor problems and cannot speak to the more serious. I can only say that most of the many stories I have read find the patient at St. Lukes or a couple other around Manila or in some case when the budget allows and you have kept up your Medicare part B payments, you simply fly to the states or Guam, etc. to make use of your Medicare. 

Companionship will find you if you are open and many women like my wonderful wife of 10 years will be tighter with your money than you are and she is an excellent cook.  I for one have NOT been called names by locals except for the occasional "hey Joe".  The local businesses we frequent are welcoming and friendly as are our neighbors and barangay officials.  If you are hoping for a good woman I doubt that she will be at the bar or offering pay per play, I suspect you already know that.

Hope this provides some insight,

TeeJay

Thank you very much for this post.  It contains more substance than I could ask.  And so I will ask for more.  Nervy little (!), aren't I?

PATIENCE:  Two buzzards are sitting on a high branch.  Says the one, "Patience.  Something will pass soon.  Says the other, "Patience HE77, I'm gonna KILL something!"

I hear you.  Been there, done that.  The delays are usually to "encourage" you to cough up a "mordida" (payoff).  In central/south America, at least.

Traffic.  I don't plan to drive or travel much.  When I do I guess I will know the price to be paid :)

CLIMATE:  I won't miss the "4 seasons."  Warm will do, just fine :)

One heading I would like to have seen is CUSTOMS.  Do they try to get 100% import duty on whatever you bring in?  I have only a stereo, a set of tools and a motorcycle that I would pay to ship there.  What can I expect?

COMPANIONSHIP:  I am all but certain you can not relate to how those words hit home...

All the talk has been of living there.  What of finding a Lady and bringing her back to the states?  Does that happen?

Finally I would ask again - what about people being killed with no trials over drugs?  Has anyone seen this happening?  It sounds insane!  Won't somebody address this for me?

USAMichael wrote:

In defense of my personal hygiene and in response to the wag that told me to "shower more frequently and the problem will go away,"

The wag was making a joke. You can google "Humour" (or 'Humor' if you're American) to get a definition.

USAMichael wrote:

And they believe all sorts of myths about us, e.g., we are "oversexed." or we are all amazingly rich

or using prostitutes and have loads of cash to pay for them - repeating these terrible myths should be illegal.

Dude, you need to chill out a little ... and take a look at why SOME locals think that about Americans.

I recall my trip to Phuket (A place I will never visit again) and the disgusting filth that goes as normal over there with prostitutes all all three (or more) genders literally trying to drag me into places for sex. I don't engage in trying to catch AIDS, so I refused the lot, sometimes having to break the physical hold the had on me with lightly violent action, usually just a snake action of my wrist to remove their grip (Martial artist will know that one), but one especially disgusting ladyboy had to be removed more forcefully as he/she/it (Pick a pronoun) refused to let go until I agreed to sex.

I came to wonder why these filthy creatures assumed it was a matter of price, not a matter of lack of interest, but that was explained by a couple of nice young ladies in my hotel.
They noticed I didn't take prostitutes to my room, after a couple of days plucking up the courage to ask me why . They assumed all British men did that as that's all they ever saw British men do, so I explained they only ever saw the idiot end of British men and we simply aren't all that way out.

The people of that beautiful but destroyed place tend to think white foreigners are all sex freaks that go out for sex with anything at the right price because all they see is sex freaks that go out for sex with anything at the right price.
Now consider the people you meet, seeing an oversexed American in areas where other oversexed Americans (and probably loads of other nationalities) hang around paying prostitutes for blow jobs.

I wonder what the people you know think of Americans, or I would wonder if I didn't already know.

This is easy, the people you know think Americans are what they see Americans do, and you pay prostitutes and have enough cash to do so regularly (s you freely state in your posts).
Had George Gershwin spent any time in the Philippines, it's unlikely he would have been viewed in the same way.

Fred:  In order for a remark to be "humor" it must be close to funny.  Your remark?  Uhh...no.       A few facts:  I am married to a Philippina I met online.  My first Philippina wife, who I met through her sister in US, passed away.  Neother wife was a even remotely a "puta."   Uhh... I don't frequent American bars 'cause none exist here.   My experience in Phil. is extensive and reliable based on much interaction with the all-Filipino areas in which I lived.   My friend, take off your rose-colored glasses, wake-up and smell da sewer outside your house, and quit making excuses for this deeply flawed and dysfunctional bansa.   You sound like Pope Francis, Mother Theresa and Jesus all rolled into one big love-in of cultural understanding.   What nonsense--a person can only make sense of a place through their own perspective based in their origin.  If you are a bright Brit. you will come around.  Most of your countrymen, being the world's leaders in colonial experience, feel just like I do.
        My origin in a first-world country naturally colors my view of this messy and disorganized  place.  Sori, po, but after years of interaction, I find this society and people wanting.  That is the conclusion I have reached.   I and my wife will. if fortunate,  be able to return to the US  soon.  Many expats invaribly do return when the scales finally drop from their eyes.

Closed