Are you happy in Australia?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Australia? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Australia happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Hi Priscilla,

Switzerland is in the top 3? I can't believe it. I'm not sure about how happy Australians are, but I can definitely tell that in Switzerland people are much more stressed than here. It is true that there are beautiful landscapes and a high standard of living, but the social pressure is hard to put up with. After a while you end up as stressed as anyone else, without even noticing it.

Anyway, it's all a matter or personal needs and preferences.
My happiest time was in Montreal, where people was relaxed, patient and kind. But Sydney isn't bad either, I like the diversity and the lifestyle here. After getting used to the language and the culture (took me half a year... =)), I do feel happier here than in my home country.

Hi Priscilla,

The answer to such question is always subjective, depending on the experience and expectations a person has.

What I can see and from what I experienced so far, I can say people are happy in Australia, its a calm, No Worries kind of a place. People here are nice, respectful, and mostly have positive manner, You can sense the positive vibes most people send your way.

So to summarize, I believe people are happy in Australia, and I am happy in Australia as well :)

Cheers,
Yaron

To use an Australianism, is the Pope a catholic?  Of course Oz is way better than my original country, which has barely woken up after shooting itself in the foot over Brexit.  Even if OZ didn't have many of the world's most liveable cities, the bush is the place to be.  I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains, of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.   Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me.

Thank you E-Anais! That's exactly what I have been experiencing in Switzerland which is my home country and after living in Australia for 12 years. I have been so stressed with social pressure and to meet the high costs of living after 1 year that I am about to move back to Australia where I have been much happier. If anyone can help me with any job opportunities in Perth, Cairns or Port Douglas I am happy to receive. ;-)

I should have mentioned that I have also lived in Switzerland for total of 6 years and yes, it's a beautiful country, particularly outside the cities and most things are high quality.  I worked in IT, so I had a good income but never felt welcome and in fact in some situations, I was blatantly told I was not welcome there.   Like Australia, more than 20% of the Swiss population was born outside the country and without these people, Switzerland would not work, so one would think that the indigenous people would appreciate this.   A vocal minority , led by the SVP, is actively trying to exclude. discriminate against or get rid of non-indigenous residents.     You can meet racists and xenophobes in Australia, as in any country, but this is rare in my experience, so matter how hard the politicians try to fan the flames.

That's interesting to see that we pretty much had the same experience.
I was told that in Australia people used to be racist against Asian people (because of the immigration wave), and now against muslims. Although I've never personally witnessed these behaviors.

In Switzerland, like in Japan, there are a lot of social conventions to follow. Anyone who doesn't respect this etiquette (temporary or on the long terme) will be judged and ostracized. The god point, according to some people, is that it induces a strong social cohesion. Like in a small village. I suppose it can make you feel happy, as long as you can fit in. But I find it more enjoyable when people are both less concerned and more relaxed.

It's nice to see in Sydney that even in the middle of the day, the parks are full of people enjoying the sun (and sometimes working on there laptop at the same time :D ).
Even if there are many things I prefer in Switzerland (like the food... and the health system!), I feel more free to be myself in Australia.