Mixed Marriage Process in Morocco

I know a dozen friends who have been married to Moroccon women. Some old; some young and some divorced. Essentially divorce is rife everywhere and no one can give the predicted lifespan of any relationship. I had a friend who just got divorced after 17 years with his Moroccan wife. Now I know someone who got divorced in a month in the UK. There is no set rule and typical situation. However there are yes many scammers who want citizenship at the expense of destroying a life based on false pretenses. And for the women who are gullable to fall for this Romeo Juliette scenario are extremely green and desperate. And the men who believe in true love from someone in their first encounter are just as bafoonic. It's just everyone is hopeful these days - you take the risk then play the game. It's is easy in my opinion to find out who wants a visa...if you need that tip DM me for my exclusive insight.

I don't have a certain answer to this because everyone measures success differently.
I don't believe it would be beneficial to lie so I am going to be very honest.
Marriage can be challenging regardless of who you marry but marring someone from another culture and faith is like throwing oil on a fire.

We fight a lot because both of us are not push overs.
I think after being married for 15 years we have both learned to become better negotiators.
That does not mean anyone is fully backing down, but that means that we have learned to better tolerate our differences.

I could write a novel or better a comedy television serious on the complexities of this type of marriage.

My husband was asked by another Moroccan male friend how we managed to say marriage for long considering the religious and cultural differences.  My husband told him that he was a very patient.  When he told me this a burst in to laughter as patient is the last world I would use to describe him as hyper and volatile would be much more accurate.

I think my experiences being marriage to a Moroccan Muslim more conservative man as a Canadian Christian more liberal woman ( of significant Arab Christian descent) has help me gain skills that could easily help me work in conflict resolution for the UN.

If you want the marriage to last you will have to work that much harder.  This type of marital situation is not for the faint of heart.

I am not going to lie and pretend like my husband is up helping me wrap Christmas gifts and painting Easter Eggs lol.  Nor am I fasting for Ramadan or walking around covering my hair.  There are things we do separately to respect or tolerate ( something respect is not the best way to put it) each other's wishes.

The first 5 years were stressful especially having a child together.  I think one of the main things that have help is trying out best to keep other people out of our marriage.  On both sides you always encounter nosey people that try to stick their nose in our marriage and family life.  Both people need to firm in telling other people trying to get involved it is none of their business.  Lots of people friends, strangers and family that have tried to cause trouble and if you want your marriage to work you need to be confident enough to directly tell them it is not  their place to get involved in issues between a husband and wife.

If is not easy.  I think both of us did not really take in to consideration all of serious issues we were going to face being married together.

I agree with some of this.  Marriage is not easy regardless of who you marry.  You can marry someone from the same culture and religion and get divorced it happens all the time.  I know people and Morocco that marry Moroccans and get divorced too.  So people need to be realistic with their expectations.  Marriage is risky business no matter who you intend on marrying, but when you are marrying someone from a different culture, nationality and religion you are adding A LOT more pressure and challenges to the situation.

Also there are legal realities too.  I am not Muslim and got married under Sharia law.  As a 24 year old from another culture, religion and country I had no idea what that meant.  This is part of my on going apprehension about moving to Morocco.  I am older and wiser now and don't want to carelessly put myself in a less favourable situation.

I think a lot of people have delusions about different cultures ex Moroccan family life is so wonderful.  It is not.  Similar to every place on earth there are issues.  Not all families and marriages are the same any place in the world.  This is not a Disney fairy story ... this is real life.

I agree on the faith side. Extremely difficult scenario.  I can see that as being a very strong reason for arguments especially from Arabs who are very compounded to believe they are correct.

My parents are pretty easy going as they were raised in a country that was multi faith, but I am always surprised when people think that their families are going to be okay with them converting.  In the case of someone like me what would be the point of converting from a non practicing Christian to a non practicing Muslim?  My parents know I am not religious so if I could not pretend to be a religious Christian how dare I pretend to be a religious Muslim.

I know if my husband and I were both trying to get married 100 years ago in Syria we would have likely both killed by our respective families in the name of honour.  So taking that in to consideration we have things a lot easier : ).  Mix marriages have the potential to move the world forward.... if the couple is willing to do the work.

If often do wonder if the Moroccan government makes the process so difficulty to ensure people are taking the marriage seriously.  Marriage is a big deal.  If you are not willing to deal with the burdens associated with being married then why should  one get to enjoy the blessings.

I wanted to mention ... Arabs like Brits and Europeans are "know it all's too" : p .

That is another things. 

New world vs the old world.  As someone from the "new world"/ colonies for at least 2 generations we don't have the same obsession with "tradition" and formality.  So a lot of the old world mindset seems strange.

I think many of those who come from the poorer parts of the world; always will have a notion to escape to a better life. That is inevitable. However escape is one part of the plan but treachery in someone is an evil ideology. And it is a common ideology in many ways these days - very common. Selfishness is rampant and the values of integrity and care are gone bar a few. When these men are cheating these women; the intention is from their heart and it has been cultivated with more than one individual in the plan. Sadly because it happens so commonly by both sexes - it is a tradition now with tens of thousands of opportunists.

I think the world and people were always like this but thanks to technology the behaviour is viral and people are more easily able to share their personal experiences.

I also think in many cases the person used does need to take some accountability for their out foolishness.

I have talked to many people on both sides of this situation and in fairness if I was desperate enough the idea of looking for a way out would be tempting.  Thankfully I have never been in that position so it might not be that fair to judge.

If it seems to good to be true it probably is.  Their are dishonest people everywhere and there have ALWAYS been.

It is a dream for a young Moroccon man, whose daily wage doesn't pay for a meal in the west, to have woman chasing him for selfies in the sun. As he flirts he also takes out his claws of lust and begins the teasing process.

I heard from a friend recently how the Moroccon dating process is initiated and how  intrinsically calculated each movement is. The approach; the timing, the whole drama of declaring love. In modern tradition now; most Moroccon women are aware of how the young man snares his victim.

Further to say; Moroccon women are known to complain of Arab men for their lack of romance and fulfilling an open love with no boundaries. So how do these same breed of men go to become Romeos to women outside their country? How can men in that country who are apparently in the minority to a staggering 10/1 ratio, need to go out their own locality or city and marry a woman 30 years older? They say love is blind.

Any well travelled women with common sense should have the sense to know to avoid the situation.   If she engages in it she should have the sense to keep I a fling and loose his contact information.

Again this is a class issue.  If someone with a lower economic status is aggressively pursuing you have the common sense to be very cautious.

If someone lacks common sense and life skills then this is what could happen.

I also want to remind that not all Moroccan people are "poor"... but it is the poor ones that are most likely to be chasing after you.

Moroccan people tend to me very welcoming.  It is similar in Arab culture as well.  Someone interested in getting to know you even as a friend is going to "invite you/ treat you"  they are not going to expect you to pay.  When you are the one opening up your wallet you are dealing with someone that is likely poor or does not respect you much.

Also if the man if the man is not "broke" and aggressively pursuing you it may be just to fool around because people from better families don't just marry anyone and they also have loads of local options.  If they want to marry you they are very protective of your reputation as it reflects on them.

Love is not all that blind ... it is more like some people are so desperate that they forget their sense.

I am enquiring to see if the party which is filmed for immigration does that have to be done within the 3 months or can it be done anytime?

I am enquiring to know if the party for immigration which is filmed, does that have to be done within 3 months or can it be done anytime?

When I got married we did not have to submit a film of the wedding party

We submitted photos.  I am pretty detailed orientated when it comes to following instructions.  If the wanted one piece of proof I provide 20 etc.

When applying you need to think about why they would doubt the marriage and what their fears are and provide proof or a way to disprove their concerns.

You need to be way a head of them as they ask every and anything purposely to catch some one off guard.

To prepare I drilled by husband with possible questions like he was on trail to prepare and thankfully it worked.

At least in Canadian embassy the interview is hard and you need the confidence to answer those questions bang on to give them to reason to doubt you.

It was a lot of work and it paid off.

I am glad I did not use a immigration lawyer and took care of everything myself.  No one would have put the level of thought and effort in to putting the application together better.

Scary process .... very happy we survived it.

Thank you so much for all this information just I read online you neeeded one as I got married within 3 months of the papers. I was concerned if the party had to be done within the three months as well as the papers that's all.

I am a bit confused.  Are you people having a wedding party just to provide proof to the embassy?  Why did you not have you wedding party right after you got married as this is typical in Morocco and most parts of the world.
If you could not afford to get married which by most norms includes having a wedding party to celebrate your marriage then how can you afford to sponsor a foreign spouse?

I am from the same city and planing to get married to my English girl, I have been visiting her where she lives and vis versa, she is visiting me here in Rabat where iam living now.

So thank you so much for this well detailed article on the the process and struggles of getting married over here

Thank you jess for the detailed post, it helped me alot preparing for my marriage with my fiance who s british. I have two questions that i would appreciate getting an answer for:
- my husband employer doesn't have a stamp, is it okey with the moroccan authorities if the letter of employement containing all the information needed is only signed by the director without a stamp?
- i learned from one of the comments up below that the local police in morocco sends back the file to the British embassy which is quiet odd ans requiers more time ( my husband can only take 7 working days off) , is there anyone married lately under the moroccan law who faced the same thing?
- do i need a person to translate for the judge during the interview ? For the adoul also during the qiran?
- the honorary embassy in marrakech seem to deliver the same documents as the one in rabat. Anyone here used there services?
I know its alot of questions, i apologize for my writing im francophone

Hi

Recently got married in marrkech

You can do your criminal record check online on morocco ministry of justice and get it sent to your city in Morocco
You need to fill the form and upload your photo
Gets done in a day

- employment letter
As long as it says he employed and has the company logo and details on the letter it's fine
- Don't need shaada as long as you have a Muslim name or it say it's on your birth certificate

- you can use the British consular for same service in marrkesh make a appointment

- all documents need to be translated so find a good translator

Congratulations for your marriage, thank u so much for your feedback, i have few more questions if its okey by you
- did the police sent you file back to the embassy ? And how long the hole procesdure took you?
- i checked the police website for the police chefk and it says then even foreigners can get the criminal check on line  ( the one you get normally feom the ministery of justice in rabat) , do you ave any idea abt it?
- if my finace get his documents from the embassy in marrakech do we need to go stamp it in the ministry of foreigner affairs in rabat or we can do it somewhere in marrakech?

Hi

Do the criminal record check online on morocco judicial service and when you complete it online they will ask you which city choice the send the criminal record check to and than you choose your city and pick it up from the local court,
You don't need to go Rabat
- to get it signed if your are in Marrakech do not go Rabat but go to agadir, the dp it within minutes, where as in Rabat it's much busier and they will make you wait,
Be there for 10am in agadir ministry of foreign affairs
The guy will come in at 11am but at least your will be first to be seen ,
Please note
You can't get it signed in Marrakech

If you go to family court in Marrakech
You will meet a lady called Salma
She will ask where is our gift
Give her some money or she will delay the whole process

OMG im so sorry to hear that they blackmailed you in morocco , actually im getting married in meknes the only reason i took an appointment in marrakech is that the one in rabat has no availibilty for the date we wants. Thanks again for your quick response

Hi,  you say you got proof of employment and payslips .  Did you have these made legal ? Apostile?
We are getting mixed information. 
Thanks

Thank you so much for sharing. I was wondering of any religious certificate should be available if your to be husband is muslim and you're not?

Sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere!

Hi Jess,

Can you tell me which documents need to be translated into arabic? I have got most of the documents, the police certificate from pakistan, from the netherlands, salary slips, statement of profession etc. Do I need all of them translated in arabic? And then get the translated versions attested or the original versions attested?

Thanks for your advice.

Zulfiqar

Hi

On my birth certificate it said I was muslim so didn't need any certificate of Islam
But don't worry
If uournin morocco you can get one done by the adool
Easy process and of course their will be a charge

Good luck with your marriage

Salam brother

Every document they asked for needs to be translated
As you said I believe your from Netherlands I can't advise you much as I am from U.K.
every government has their own policy

But most important
ALL DOCUMENTS WILL HAVE TO BE TRANSLATED

Hi MuzzyKhan,

Walekumsalam and thanks for the response. I am working in the Netherlands but am originally from Pakistan. Wou8ld you by any chance know if I need to get the documents issued to me in the Netherlands attested by the Pakistani Embassy and the foriegn ministry of pakistan? And if yes, would the translation be attested or the original ones?

Its awfully complicated, thanks for your help.

jess1406 wrote:

....In the UK the papers you need to get are:

-    A birth certificate issued within the last 3 months (this must be a FULL birth certificate – with information of mother and father)....

Did you simply order a certified copy of your birth cert from the GRO within the last 3 months before the document can be used in Morocco?

Salam brother

If your Pakistani citizen than get the documents from Pakistan embassy and if you are a Dutch citizen best to get documents

In regards to birth certificate
My one was from 1986 I didn't order a new one
It's best to send your copy of birth certificate to your partner and tell them to go to court and ask if they will accept this
If they say yes it's all good than

For everyone asking about translating documents to Arabic

ALL THE REQUIRED Documents NEEDs to be translated in ARABIC or you can't marry her or him and will be
There is no option around it

Does anybody know if having a criminal record will hinder you?

U need a police clearance from the country u are residing at and u should also get a certificate from Rabat which is not a issue , just go to that office and take a photocopy of your passport and entry stamp date and collect it after few hours which they mention it to u.

I bet u should have no criminal record to get married.

Does anyone know for a fact? I've been informed that you need a document showing that you you have no criminal record there (which would obviously be the Acro certificate), but I was only aware of the certificate per se being mandatory, not its having to demonstrate that you have no convictions.

hi friends
i am AJAS from India working in Qatar. i am planning to get marry my Moroccan partner in this September....i have some doubts..
1, police clearance certificate. is this from Indian embassy in Qatar or from Qatar police.
2, employment certificate. it should attest in Indian embassy?
3, foreigner's citizenship certificate . is it saying i am a non residential Indian ? and need to attest this also from embassy
4, Islam certificate. is it also should be attest in Indian embassy ?
5, single status certificate. this certificate after attest in ministry of external affair. need to attest in any embassy?? India or morocco
6, birth certificate. i have my original birth certificate with me. i need any updated certificate and it should be attested ??
7, residential certificate its from Qatar foreign ministry. is it also should attest from any authority ??

Police clearance should be done from country of residence -Qatar but attested by Indian embessy and do foreign affairs of Qatar on it

Employment certificate should be attested by Indian embessy after getting attested by foreign affairs of Qatar

It's a affidavit which shows that u are Indian National , get it attested by Indian embessy counselor will sign and get it attested by ministry of foreign affairs Qatar

U don't have to do it cause ur name is Muslim and Adul will do it for you in morocco.

It should be attested by Morocco embessy  also , however sometimes they don't do it, which is crazy . But u can get it attested in Morocco also if the guy is understanding.

Birth certificate u should get it from your embessy in Qatar it's easy they will see your passport and issue a certificate to u based on passport. Again attest it from foreign affairs.

You don't need any residence certificate, your company letter which mentions your occupation and salary is enough.

Send me PM if u need some more clarifications.

hi friends..any Indian here who married from morocco.. i want to ask some help to clear my doubts about some papers

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I have read all the detailed information on here.

Just have one question outstanding if you guys can help?

I have managed to get an appointment at The British Consulate Marrakech 1st August for myself for the two documents I require.

BUT will we need any appointments in Rabat before we go there?

When we go to submit our documents or for the Police check?

Is there any appointment my fiance can book before we go to Rabat, if so: HOW to do this as the Ministry of Justice in Rabat do not answer their phone.

U just walk in no need for appointment .

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Am I right in saying we will need to go to the family court in Rabat?

Where is it we need to go in Rabat for the Police Check?

Sorry to be a pain

Hey hi ,

You just have to go to the justice office it's near the railway station , take your passport along with a photocopy of the passport including the entry stamp which was stamped at the airport. Just walk in there will be a guy sitting inside hand over the copies over to him and he will give u a slip which will mention the time when u can collect it usually a 4-5 hours later ,no need of appointment.

I don't know much about hat papers do they ask for  Europeans or UK . However this is what u should do to get that police clearance paper from Rabat.

Good luck pal