Presentation of members in Manaus

Hello dear Members, Welcome on Expat.com

We launched this discussion so that members living in Manaus present themselves while hoping this will help you to widen your social network.

Are you living in Manaus since sometimes or have you just arrived?
What brought you to Manaus? What is your passion in term of hobbies, likes and dislikes?

Thanking you in advance for your participation!

See you soon on Expat.com!

Hello,

I just subscribed to this forum, hoping to find people who can tell me more about living and working in Manaus. I am from Amsterdam, but I am taking a leave of absence from my job, to spend 5 months in Manaus, to live with my boyfriend. We are going to do some traveling together, but I also want to find something to do while he is working. I would like to take the opportunity to do some volunteer work, but it's not easy to find projects on the internet in Manaus.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kathelijn

Recently arrived and looking to track down other Canadians or Americans, British etc to learn more about Manaus

Hi Kathelijn,

I lived in Manaus for about six months when I first came to Brazil ten years ago. I would suggest that if you are looking for volunteer work you could start off by contacting some of the churches in the city. Primeira Igreja Batista de Manaus you will be able to find by clicking on the following link. Maybe they can put you on to something or suggest some NGO that might be interested.   

http://www.pibmanaus.org.br/

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator

Hi, my name is Anne. I'm brazilian, but I lived in Canada for 4 years and I miss it lots. It's my second home. I've made so many friends from all around the world there, and I miss this diversity. We don't seem to see that much in Brazil. I wonder what is like for you non-brazilian folks to live here. I'm from south Brazil and the cultural shock was already so big! I do like a lot of things about Manaus, and I'm trying to get used to others, but I definitely miss hanging out with more "global" people! Meeting other parents would be great too :)