New members of the Brazil forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Brazil forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Brazil if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi pessoal !

I am Chloé, and honoured to be the first 2019 "introduce yourself" ;)

I am a french student and I just arrived in Sao Paulo last week end. I will be in internship for 3 month around Santa Cecilia.
I would love to meet new people, maybe learn tips about the city or brazilian portuguese language (that i am learning actively). Let me know if you are in for a cafe, beer, or cachaça !

Até mais

I am new to the Brazil forum.

Lived in Argentina for 3 years--fluent in Spanish.  Conversational Portuguese.

Here is a little of what I posted in another thread:

As a pilot for a global airline I have spent hundreds of days in the big cities, but I have never ventured out to the countryside.

Rio--by far--is the least secure city for expats.

Sao Paulo would be perfect for me, but too expensive if I retire early--unfortunately.

In my opinion, and I have taken subways all over Sao Paulo day and night, there is NO COMPARISON (provided one stays out of the know bad areas)  to the risks one takes in Rio venturing out anywhere--day or night.

I intend to retire soon, in either Uruguay or Brazil and have my sights set on the south--no further from Uruguay than Porto Alegre.

Anyone ever been to Uberlandia or the southern countryside way, way down south?

Thanks in advance.

George

* please do not take any of my comments as a stab at the country of Brazil--these are my personal perceptions from literally hundreds of trips there in the last 20 years.

I love Brazil and the people.

Welcome aboard Chloé! If you were in Novo Hamburgo I would take you up on the beer! Enjoy yourself
in Brazil and good luck!

airlinepilot,

Welcome aboard! Rio Grande do Sul bordering Uruguay is a huge state. So you can select a lot of nice cities from the mountains to the beaches!

Good luck!

Bom dia!

I am from California, but live in Brasil (permanent resident) since early 2016. My wife is Brazilian and my almost 3 year old daughter was born in Brazil, but is a dual-citizen.

We live in a small town on the beach in southern Bahia, if anyone wants more information about the region, contact me.

I'm here mostly to get information on taxes, I'm looking for a recommendation for a professional based in Brasil to help me file my taxes here in Brasil. Someone with experience with expats, as the ones I have worked with in the past do not have this experience, and are confused as to how to proceed.

I'll post this request in the general forum as well...

Cheers - Ryan

Thanks everyone!

Hey airline...Visited Uberlandia for a few days. Rondon Pacheco Avenue was great eating and night life. Has a lot better road system than here in Foz and about twice the size.
I stayed in Uruguay (back and forth from BA) and thought about retiring there, but found Foz and enjoyed the more "laid back"  and nature here. Bordering AR and PY gives me options. Plus has a direct flight to Lima to visit or connect to the US.
Welcome and enjoy. Run your "check list" and be sure your are happy before setting roots.

Hi Ryan,
Get in touch with an institution where many expats work, such as one of the American/International schools or a US based company (such as Goodyear). When I worked in Rio, a tax accountant came to the school to work with anyone who needed it. He was American but based in Brazil.

Hi!

My name is Andrea, I'm from Colombia and I've lived in Brazil for almost 2 years now. Six months ago I moved to Curitiba, amazing city!

Thank you!

Welcome Andrea. Do not spend everything in the Batel area.
Curitiba is nice.

Hi All in Brazil Forum

I hope I can get in touch with some people who know more about moving and living in Brazil.

A short introduction of myself. I am 30 year old guy. I am currently living in Denmark, where I am also born and raised. I am working as a mechanical engineer here. It's my first job as engineer. I now have 3 years experience. I have a practical background as technician. And other educations such as Production Technologist and life and buisness coach.

In my spare time I like working out, salsa, learning new stuff of any kind - at the moment the beautiful brazilian portuguese, self development, concerts, nature, spending time with friends and families a lot more....

Just before I had my first job as engineer I was traveling to Brazil. And somehow I lost my heart to the country. The beautiful beaches and nature but first and foremost the Brazilian people. The kindness, the joyness, laughter, openness and big hearts is hard not be touched by. Especially considering that Brazil is not all sunshine and rainbows which make it even more beautiful how I would say the everyday Brazilian (Not the criminal or corrupt is considered here). Which is the reason I very hardly consider leaving the safe little Denmark to both develop myself and to explore more of this beautiful country and people of Brazil.

So I have many questions. I hope someone in here can help me with.
First of all - is it too dangerous for me as foreigner? (I didn't feel scared when I was there but I was also really careful)
Second can I live an okay decent life as a mechanical engineer there?

Cumprimentos Kim

God aften, Kim!

No, it's not "too dangerous", as long as you continue to be careful.  That includes not only being always alert and aware on the street, but staying out of sketchy areas and situations (e.g., anywhere that you see a lot of people congregating for no apparent reason), especially between dusk and dawn.
Second question depends on your definition of "okay decent life" financially.  Cost of living is very low here, but so are salaries.  It's also difficult to get a job, and almost impossible to become a permanent resident without either having one or marrying a Brazilian.  Feel free to create threads to post specific questions -- people here are happy to help.

I know 2 which graduated with M Eng at a BR University. One is doing okay with an oil company. The other was in food and gave up and went to US to get Masters ad look for better pay. Also one had a Elect Eng degree and ended up teaching at a University in Curitiba.
As said cost of living is cheaper, but do not think your going to get the same salary as you are now.
Rio and SP living is not cheap.

An engineer´s salary is always better than the average in Brazil or any country in my opinion. So I´m sure you´ll have a decent living standard. The problem is HAVING
THAT JOB! It´s hard to secure one because there´s always a long line behind every position. Job scarcity because of little investment in the country - bureaucracy, high taxes, corruption etc. that contributes to that fact.

You should come and visit for a longer period of time. Let that elation pass and if it does indeed, your eyes will be opened to the realities of Brazilian life. Then you can decide whether Brazil is for you.

Bring enough operational funding to stay longer to research the country and possibly find a job. The south is generally safer because the economy is more vibrant
with more job opportunities.

Good luck!

robal

andreatoroherre wrote:

Hi!

My name is Andrea, I'm from Colombia and I've lived in Brazil for almost 2 years now. Six months ago I moved to Curitiba, amazing city!

Thank you!

Welcome Andrea. Praça Tiradentes is nice with good bars and restaurants. The Rua 15 de novembro
is really a good spot to sit and watch people pass by in a hurry as you contemplate on where to have supper in one of the restaurants nearby. Santa Felicidade I think is still the best center for gastronomy whether Italian, Brazilian or Chinese. I miss the city...

robal

Of possible general interest to others who might be reading here.

I have just turned 68 (British) retired early to Spain in 2003 but the economic/migrant writing was already on the wall so I moved to Brazil in 2004. Lived first in a coastal part of Rio and found the whole lifestyle expensive, dirty and dangerous.

Moved to Teresopolis 10 years ago and it's like a different world. More safe here than my old home town in Northants, England. My wife (Brazilian married now for 14 years) and I can walk around here freely wearing jewelry and designer clothes with only general common sense considerations needed.

The climate too is much more easy going than the oppressive heat in Rio.

Our only expensive necessity is health insurance and this costs us R$2,000 a month (Unimed) for myself aged 68 and my wife aged 49.

We purchased a large house on the edge of the forest for R$350,000 and spent around R$80,000 making improvements.

Most days we have a quality 'quentinha' meal delivered to the house for R$10 pp and either cook ourselves at weekends or go to one of the excellent local restaurants. Mid range meal for two with wine and desert (Taberna Alpina) is around R$240 and high end foreign themed food with wine and desert is around R$400 (Cantina E Vero or Burrata Emporio).

Hi
My partner and I are moving to Rio in June. We plan to live in Gavea. Do you have any advice on this area? I am trying to calm my nerves by gathering feedback from different people as I am often greeted with ‘be careful' when I say we are moving to Rio.
Any advice on areas to be or stay away from would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Nikki

Welcome Cozee
Do not know much. Nice area and near planetarium which I went.
Rio areas can be rough but you will be south and has shopping and art district.
Try posting on the Rio forum here. You ill get better results.
How's your Portuguese?

Thank you.

We are currently learning Portuguese but very slowly. Hoping to make good progress in 2 months though.

Looking forward to the culture there. I hear there is lots of theatre which I will enjoy.

Thanks again for your response.

I understand as to leaning Portuguese. Been here for a few years and still stumble and they talk fast and I catch every 3rd word. Google translate is your friend. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151289. Blessed James (now passed away) posted many helpful items. This one help a lot when I came.
Have ou got your CPF? You an get it at a Consulate/Embassy before coming. Read up on getting bank accounts. (Will need Perm Residency card). One you have address get a utility in your name or at least a phone plan billed to your address.
As to culture, laid back and most live day to day in many places. Rio well they live for fotebol and Carnaval.
Think about health care. The Gov program (SUS) is stressed. (Especially in Rio) Long waits in lines. Private plans are available. Some better than others. When young fairly cheap.

Hi everyone.  I'm Cat.  I'm moving to São Paulo in July to begin a teaching contract.  I have next to no Portuguese at the moment, but recently left Chile after two years, with a bit of Spanish. I'm finding that a big help with learning Portuguese.  I have no idea how I'll understand Brazilian's as they speak crazy fast like the Chileans.  I have a feeling this will be a huge cultural adjustment for me - much more than Chile was. Luckily I'll be in Alphaville, so out of the central city. I missed driving so much while I was in Chile and would really love to get a car or motorbike in brazil but I've heard that driving in São Paulo is insane and that vehicles and licences can be very expensive :(  I read that shopping in São Paulo is amazing, but one thing I found impossible in Chile was buying shoes.  They don't sell anything over US 9/EU 38/39 shoes for women.  Can anyone tell me if this is also the case in Brazil?  If so I'll need to bring a few pairs.  Also, we couldn't trust the postal/courier service in Chile and they have huge import charges there even for simple care packages from home.  Can anyone tell me their experiences of receiving international parcels/post in Brazil?  Thanks so much.

Welcome Cat,
We feel you as to speaking Portuguese and yes they speak rapido (loud IM)
Enjoy. May want to rethink motorcycles. Once here you will understand.

Bom dia, good morning Cat!
I wish you the Best wishes and luck regarding your move here to Brasil in July...
About shoes (a womans best accessory hahah), my wife wears a 42, and I have bought her a couple pair myself and been with her when she has bought others, so I guess I'm saying there shouldn't be an issue for this future purchase. Incidentally there seems to be a shoe store on every corner and three others in between, shoes are quite popular here, especially for women. But I would suggest that you bring a few of your favorites just in case, one thing about Brasil is that you will NOT find the normal, ordinary everyday items sold here, items that are easily bought elsewhere. So you will find Tons of shoes, you probably will not find ones that you may like. You will find that Brasil has a Brasil First Policy and that it is enforced Via Taxs on Products that are Manufactured outside of Brasil and Imported. Brasil Heavily taxs these products when imported at a 100% of value tax placed upon most imported goods, it is their way of promoting Brazillian goods and services, as the High import taxs Drive up the Selling Prices of goods and services thereby making the prices too high for businesses to be able to sell these items and stay competitive with others....So you will not find everyday items sold here that your used to seeing on the shelves at home.
As far as Care packages and items sent to you from outside Brasil, be Ready For Huge Import Taxes Placed Upon Any Incoming Postal Shipment or FedEx type service. And I would reccomend using one of the Big Three (FedEx, DHL, UPS) to have any packages sent to you here or for that matter to send by you overseas (I'll cover more of that in a minute)
First of all understand that ANY Package with any goods in it that you recieve will be Taxed at a High rate! It Always works out to 100% Tax being placed upon the goods Value plus Shipping costs.
Example: If Someone sends you 3 Books, priced at $19.95 each, a Nice Womans Blouse priced at $59.99, a pair of shoes priced at 79.99 and Some Makeup products priced at 49.95 for a Total value of all being $249.78, The Brazilian govt will Impose a Tax of About $250.00 Plus whatever it costs to ship (ie. FEDEX Costs $75 let's say), the Total Tax that must be paid will be $325.00. They will make you pay this before Your Package is Released to you. You pay the Taxes to the Vendor (the Vendor will tell You How Much they Have to Collect) such as FEDEX In this case who in turn gives it to the Government. Do not be fooled by any other estimates, there are some sites that state that taxs are about 30% of Cost of goods, but this is a Fallacy. By the time the Federal, State, City and a couple other taxes are Imposed, it is ALWAYS 100% of the Value plus shipping costs! I have paid these taxes of 5 different packages I had sent to me over the last 3 years of being here, and it Has Always came out to the Above Mentioned Tax Rate!
I would use FedEx or DHL Etc to ship to you here, it is the fastest and safest way. If you send something home, Using Brasil post office or "Correos" is Much Cheaper, BUT Takes Weeks to Get to the destination, I'm talking upwards of three weeks. But if time is not an issue when sending something, Brazilian Correos is Cheap and Reliable.

Also, Keep this in Mind. Unlike Chile (where I and wife stayed last year for a couple months) here in Brasil A Person MUST HAVE A CPF (Brasil version of Social security number or Social Insurance number) in Order to Send Or Receive Mail to Include FEDEX (You can use a passport number in some cases actually) but using a passport to send or receive mail is a pain in the Azz and takes longer. Not to mention that if you are going to be living here in Brasil You Are going to need a CPF Just to be able to Purchase Most Goods Sold here such as A cellphone, a Television, air conditioner, refrigerator as well as to obtain internet services and cellular services etc...Businesses will not sell you these items Without a CPF.
Obtaining a CPF is Actually Quite Easy, probably the easiest Brazillian document in have obtained. All you have to do is take your passport to The post office (Correos), pay a small fee, they give you a reciept for this and then you take that reciept to another government office and they will Issue you a CPF on the Spot! Very simple.

If I were you, I would wait until after you arrive and settle in before deciding on a A Scooter or Motorcycle purchase, Gor many reasons. I think you will understand why I say this After you Arrive and see how these people drive, especially in the city, any city big or small. Also the roadways here are quite different making it difficult to drive if not accustomed....Just see what I am saying after you arrive. The roadways are way different and much more confusing than that of Chile. But, the Brazilian people do a good job, actually they do a Great Job of Navigating and Driving, but they have been raised with the roadways.

The Brazilian people I have found are quite easygoing, generous, kind and friendly people who have been great to me. My wife is Brazilian, we live in Porto Seguro Bahia and I have had no problems other than the normal homesickness and getting used to the culture as well as language.
Crime can be a problem depending upon where you are and live, but just like anywhere in the world, use common sense and dont go places that you have no business being and avoid giving an opportunity to anyone.....
Cheers, I hope this Long Paper was not too long, I just wanted to give you advice based upon my direct experience of living here
Lawrence

Thank you so much Lawrence.  Your advice is a huge help.  Ok, so no packages to Brazil then? lol.  My family and friends will be well used to that after me being in Chile for two years.  I'll most definitely bring some shoes with me.  The CPF and work visa has been taken care of thanks to my employer and an immigration agency, so that was a relief, because it's been quite a drawn out process.  Thankfully I've been able to acquire all the necessary documentation from my country while being home. 

I'll definitely put the vehicle on hold until I've seen what traffic and the roads are like. What is public transportation between outlying suburbs into Sao Paulo central?  I've heard the subway in Sao Paulo is crazy busy all the time but efficient.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Hello everyone!
My name is Ulfatullah Momand I am from Afghanistan, living in belo horizonte Brazil. I have married with Brazilian women and having permanent visa  RNE, WORK PERMIT, CPF.
Due to my parents sever illness I have returned to Afghanistan and since 18 months I am here in Afghanistan.
So my question about for how long I can stay in Afghanistan to do not loss my permanent visa and other documents. Anyone expat there to guide me right way.
I am waiting for your kind response in this favor.

Thanks in advance

Ulfatullah Momand

What's up ***

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for safety reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Good morning,
Brasil Law on this is Quite Clear and Specific that You MUST NOT be out of Brasil for More than 2 Years or Your Permanent Residency Will Be Forfeited (Given up)
I hope you the best, they Do not make ANY Exceptions to this as far as I know, they as you know are very strict with their Immigration laws, especially with Permanent Residency...
I understand your parents are sick and need you, but if you Plan on Returning to Brasil and dont want to go thru process of Obtaining a New Visa and then a New CRNM (Replaced the RNM) than I Suggest Making a Quick trip Back here to Brasil. Then you Can Leave again and not Have to return For 2 more years....
Chow and Good luck

Thanks a lots for your kind information,
I will be in touch to get more thoughtful information,

Best regards,

Hey everyone! Just landed Sao Paulo about a month ago on a tourist visa, and interested in staying here long term. So any advice on how to make that possible would be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking into a student visa to study Portuguese, and still have my one time extension to use on my current tourist visa. I appreciate all feedback given.

Thanks all!

Good morning,   my name is Terry I am an American married to a Brazilian.  I currently live in Alaska but we are possible moving to Brazil.  We are looking for a place somewhere closer to the coast but have no definite place in mind. 
A couple questions
1. How do you deal with finding certain things that you miss from back home.   I spent the past 8 years living in Europe (4 Kosovo,  4 Germany) and became quite familiar with Amazon for shipping items.   After reading a couple responses above about import tax don't think that is an option.  What are y'all's solutions to this.
2.  Bringing a family pet.   Has anyone brought their dog with them.   I have an Alaskan malamute that I would love to bring if I relocate.   Problem is size ( think 55kg with a double fur coat) and the heat.

Thank you for accepting me to the group

Hi, Terry,
Welcome!  See your other thread for the start of a response to your questions.

Good afternoon,
As you have read that the Taxs Imposed by Brasil Upon Any goods coming into Brasil from Any Country besides the Mercosur Pact countries makes it difficult to enjoy buying and sending self things from home so to speak. The taxes Always Equate to 100% of the Value of whatever is being imported, so a 100 dollar item will be taxed at 100 dollars Plus Cost of Freight.
Bring with you Items that you Relish using such as good cell phones, computers, earbuds etc..If you forsee the need in near future for any new purchases of these items due to age etc, i would buy now and bring with...maybe also bringing Two of everything...bring as Much of your own personal loves with you such as cooking spices, Nice Bedding and just simple day to day items that you may take for granted in the states but Wont find here, such as Alka Seltzer....
As far as the dog, with all the Proper Paperwork such as Vaccinations etc, I would have the paperwork also Transcribed into Portuguese you will have no issue getting the dog into Brasil.

I live on the Coast here in the state of Bahia, specifically Arrial d'Ajuda (a Barrio of Porto Seguro) Love it, And the Cost is Amazingly Cheap compared to The Lower US, and Especially Dirt Cheap compared to Alaska! Finding a place to rent is different than the US as they dont list places on the internet here like people do in the US, finding a place here takes legwork, going up and down the streets Taking Phone numbers down for properties that have a for Rent sign Hanging In Front of Buildings, also Talking with a Taxi Driver who Knows the Area and People is a Great Way of finding a nice Apartment or House...
It is Beautiful here, Safe and Historic, am sure your wife has heard of it, It is the Favorite and Saught after Destination for Brazilian people for a holiday, a kinda Quiet Secret to the rest of the world!
Bahia itself is a very lovely State in the Northern Section of Brasil and is Much cheaper, much nicer than that of Sao Paulo and Rio...To me anyhow

But on a personal note, I sent back my 225lb Anatolian Shepherd to the states as Life for Him Was Unbearable here. It was very selfish for me to bring him, he was quite miserable, I ended up taking him back to Northern Arizona where he was raised and loves the cooler climate that his body was bred for, similar to that of a Husky

I hope you have a great day,
Lawrence

Hi, my name is Victoria and am English. Several years ago I worked/lived in Sao Paulo and married a Brazillian thus have visited Brasil many many times since. We have been living back in London for quite a long time however after being made redundant from a global bank, we are looking at a year away in Brasil with our children so we can travel around this amazing country and immerse our children in their 'second home'. It should be an invaluable life expereice for them providing I can home school them

Bom Dia !! I'm Jon and my Wife is Maria from Uruacu, Goias Brazil. I'm from Florida, USA. Maria and I married on May 3rd in Campinorte, Brazil. Looking forward to meeting other expats that know the ropes on legal issues.

Welcome Jon and Maria. hope you find some expats in the area.
Knowing the ropes on legal issues is like "chasing rabbits", but Maria will help I'm sure.
there are many here that may have had issues you run into, but we are here to help. Best advice s make a friend in the PF for help if needed.
All the best.

Hi Tex. We are finding that legal issues are not what they seem to appear. Our legal marriage was somewhat a joke. We were initially denied due to more needed documents (More Money) and for an extra fee of 135 dollars, a little outside help and a different office in another city, we breezed through everything LOL. I never produced my Birth Certificate, legal document of Parents and Social Security Card. Maria imply stated "Thats Brazil". We never figured that Visas at the US Embassy were controlled by Brazilian Nationals, making decisions that Americans should do. My wife highly suspects payoffs at the Embassy.

No issue with marriage here in BR, but did take a lot of trips back and forth to PF and carteiro. Had issue with birth certificate. which was not "long form", but as you said speaking with another it went well.
Now the marriage in US being admitted in BR was expensive, but made sure all were apostilled in US before coming back. We found an approved translator which was cheaper and that helped on the cats..
Enjoy. Too much rain here last few weeks, but Inferno if around the corner. Hardest part is living without my pool........ 
Get a little tired of the answer "that's Brazil''. Learning to accept it on some things, but not of purchasing or fixing items.
Onley been in in your area once for a stop over to go fishing. Let me know how it goes there. Settled in a few years ago here in Foz. Normal complaints. but that is because I am spoiled with many wanting my business in the US, here it is "when I can and you need to buy the part while I wait here" stuff.

I'm enjoying my pool while I'm at home, LOL. God bless air conditioning !! It was hot during the day and cool at night in Uruacu in May. No rain at all. I love that small town. I'm the only Americano LOL. My wife goes to Goiania on Monday to an Agency that helps with Visas. Yes, "That's Brazil" !! Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money !!!!!!

I feel the same as being the only American here. Thanks to my Portuguese teacher who went to college in the US she's about the only one to have a long conversation. Many here do speak some English and I thank them to trying.
Today I put Portuguese to the test to buy new tires... Oh boy! Many carry Chinese tires because name brands are expensive, as most things are, dollar to real helps a lot.

Keep in touch. we are here to help.

I'm fortunate to know one of my Wife's friends that speaks English, along with our daughters English teacher. I really like the way I'm accepted in our small town. I also admire the culture and the way most people react to each other. Driving is a real experience. No stopping at stop signs (LOL). In Florida you would be flipped the bird or had a horn blown, not to mention a nice ticket from law enforcement. I hope that eventually I can post of my experiences to help others go through what we all are doing. It's a pleasure talking with you.

Closed