Dealing with homesickness in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Dominican Republic can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Dominican Republic? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Yep every time I leave the DR I get homesick :D:D:D:D

Bob K

The answer to that is simple Bob.
Don't leave.
Skype & using Catalina's land line which has free
calling to Canada.
Tom.

I leave as infrequently as possible.  IN fact up to this year (dealing with very ill moms so more trips) in 10 years I have slept 22 nights back in the USA

Bob K

That's right Bob. your mom is #1.
Tom.

Not a thread I can help with! I have never felt homesick, this has been home from the time I arrived!!!

Like I said I get homesick when I leave here :D

Bob K

i dont really get homesick, this is my home, i do miss my kids but we talk often so its not so bad, i would like to say that the dominican is not for everyone, i had a friend come for the winter last year and he went back to canada after only 2 months. personally i love it here, i am never bored and consider myself fortunate to be able to live the dream, this is my paradise.

You are so right. The DR is not for everyone but when it is "right" it is sooooo "right"

10+ years and still living the dream

Bob K

I love my new country!
Tom.

I still come only for vacation. We have piece of land on Playa Limon near Miches and we will build a House to retire in DR.....Every time I visit I fill like I'm home......I'm Bosnian American and I love USA and Chicago,love my Old Country but I can't wait to  move to DR.....

Hello my dear Bob, I have a question: Do you think is a good idea to transport a car from USA, o is better to buy one in DR ?

That is a tough one.  If you are bringing a car that meets the requirements for import and you are doing it with your new residency (free from taxes more or less) then bringing one may be a viable option.  If you are not using your one time exoneration than it is very expensive to do so I probably would not bring it.  We did bring one in with our tax exoneration.

Remember cars here new or used are about 30%-35% more than they would be back in the US. Also many used cars you would buy here have the odometers rolled back (a lot) or have bad titles (junk, flood, etc) back in the US.  So be very careful on a used care here and use CarFax before you buy.

Bob K

AND  be aware that many American cars are not common here.  Thus finding parts can be both frustrating and expensive!   In many ways you are better to purchase a more common type vehicle here! 

Bob gives good advice about  CarFax - use it.  Dealers here cannot be trusted!   Have a mechanic YOU know check the vehicle,  use CarFax and even then  be very cautious!

Thank you Bob :)

You are welcome and good luck

Bob K

Hi good posts as always.

Re; Loneliness. to be honest we love it here and going back and forth is a killer! When back with the family I want to be here, when here there are times that I really, really want to pick up the phone and call a friend. I do not have that option here and that is very difficult at times. We have have been adopted by a Dominican family which is great and we are very grateful but sometimes I wish I had a girlfriend or two from the states to chat with about old times. Granted we have only been here off and on for a year. This is home now, we have our house here, we shipped all our remaining personal items here....Perhaps in time we will make more friends here and that will compensate for not having my others of many, many years....

PS Must say too that perhaps looking in the wrong places but to date finding it hard to locate other expats with similar interests and values in my area that is. Can't speak for other areas. Starting some volunteer work to try and change that!