Absolutely Anything Else

SimCityAT wrote:

I go out and do gardening at 6am, no other way. Like hell will I do any work outside in the day. I potter about around the house and do little jobs I have to do. :D

Yeah me much the same. It is much nicer to do things in the evenings and at night. But I must respect my neighbours although they don't seem to respect me with their radio blasting and dog barking all night, but the missus tells me off if I make any noise - and I do not have an amplifier that goes up to 11- if I make any noise at night. I tend to use hand tools over power tools but a handsaw going through some wood makes some noise, that is not acceptable according to the missus. Yet other people are allowed to have their radios on blasting their crappy music and that is just fine by her. There is a word for that, it is called "hypocrisy". I thought the British were supposed to be best at it but Hungarians come a close second.

The missus is working in Salzburg, Austria for three weeks. You will know when she is going past Vienna, SimCityAT, as you will hear the sound of continual nagging.

SimonTrew wrote:

One of my slight amusements is that "paszternák" is the Hungarian for "Parsnip" and is a loanword from Russian. Somehow, "Boris Pasternak", the Russian author of Dr Zhivago etc, would not have the same gravura were he known as "Boris Parsnip".

In  my circles we were always amused by the name of the former President of Zimbabwe Mr Canaan Banana.  Some guy I met who said he was involved with that country referred to negotiations with Mr Banana as "fruitful".

There's a guy down in Balaton known as Sanyi (sounds like Sani, aka Sandor) but I accidentally called him Süni (Hedgehog).

Kids liked it - a lot.

I decided as a attempt to give up smoking to go on to these smoking substitutes so I got a big red packet that you can light up, it is a Hungarian brand called "Vape". So I lit it up but it is not the same at all, although I must admit I have added to my insect collection.

SimonTrew wrote:

Now. "mozi" is a lovely word, for cinema. it is a much better word than "cinema" which should be "kinema" anyway from the Greek 'to move' as in kinematics, but "mozi" the Hungarian, that is just a lovely word, perfect word.

Krumpli as the slang for potato is also an extremly good word, that scores about 100 on my potatometer, it is just an extremely good word. "spud" is not bad, but "krumpli" is even better. "borgonya" on the other hand is an awful word,  I go to the market the missus says get ten borgonyas and I come back with a bunch of begonias, it is just awful. Krumpli is perfect though.

I prefer the German word, Kino, which at least gives the impression of movement (as does cinema or even movie house).   Mozi just makes me think of mosquitoes.

My favourite Hungarian word is "Délibáb" ("mirage").  I think it just sounds a made up silly word used by small children.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

One of my slight amusements is that "paszternák" is the Hungarian for "Parsnip" and is a loanword from Russian. Somehow, "Boris Pasternak", the Russian author of Dr Zhivago etc, would not have the same gravura were he known as "Boris Parsnip".

In  my circles we were always amused by the name of the former President of Zimbabwe Mr Canaan Banana.  Some guy I met who said he was involved with that country referred to negotiations with Mr Banana as "fruitful".

There's a guy down in Balaton known as Sáni (Sandor) but I accidentally called him Süni (Hedgehog).

Kids liked it - a lot.

Well a couple of years ago I tried to write a sequel to "Dr Zhivago" and it was rather loquacious in the Russian style, but I just got a rejection note back from the publisher saying "fine words can not better Parsnip's".

SimonTrew wrote:

The missus is working in Salzburg, Austria for three weeks. You will know when she is going past Vienna, SimCityAT, as you will hear the sound of continual nagging.

I'm 30km south of Vienna, which is just fine for us. Close enough to attend concerts etc... But have the enjoyment of the countryside and having a garden. With what we have in land and about of rooms where we are. If it was Vienna it would quite easily be €700,000.

I love Salzburg, but the property prices are even more than Vienna. On a whole, the prices in Austria have been rising quite a bit in the past years.

Anyway, less of Austria  :lol: As this is the Hungarian Forum :D

Edit: So given the choice would you ever move back to Blighty or home country? There is a topic of the day.......

SimCityAT wrote:

So given the choice would you ever move back to Blighty? There is a topic of the day.......

Not me. Wages are a lot lower in Hungary I get about a quarter of what I would get in the UK. But beer is cheap, cigarettes are cheap, and those are my two vices, anything that is kinda international is at international prices, world market prices, but local goods are cheap, local fruit and veg fresh and local and seasonal not strawberries in December.

Summer is hot and winter is cold, not the perennial drizzle of the UK where half the days of the year are overcast. (This year is an exception but I remember the summer of '76 when they turned off all the water and you had to get it from a standpipe in the street).

And in the Summer  you can go to a pump at a street corner and pull water from the pump when you are thirsty with the heat, you don't have to pay for some crappy bottled water just because you are thirsty.

No, I will never go back. If this stupid Brexit business forces me, I will have to, as my permanent resident card I can apply five days after the UK leaves the European Union, but I have a much better quality of life here -- not if I were counting the pounds and pennies or forints, on the books I am much worse off financially, but the books balance each month and my quality of life is just much better here in Hungary that it would ever be in the UK.

SimonTrew wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

So given the choice would you ever move back to Blighty? There is a topic of the day.......

No, I will never go back. If this stupid Brexit business forces me,

Nah

SimonTrew wrote:

I will have to,

Nah, you won't!

But if you have an English bank account, I would trickle some money into the account as I am doing. It's for when I visit, and I holiday money when there.

1 GBP = 1.11 Euro
1 GBP = 356.154 HUF

As for me, nope. I could not move back. (Half English, Half Welsh.) Although I love Wales its not something I could live permanently. Far better than England where the country has changed so much I don't recognize it.
Being here 10 years now, I can honestly say I wished I moved a lot sooner.

Its another way of life here, (Central Europe) so much laid back than back home. From a young age, we visited France. Going to Cafes, etc....

You are right Simon, beer, wine, smokes are cheaper here. What is not to like?

SimCityAT wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I'm 30km south of Vienna, which is just fine for us. Close enough to attend concerts etc... But have the enjoyment of the countryside and having a garden. With what we have in land and about of rooms where we are. If it was Vienna it would quite easily be €700,000.

I love Salzburg, but the property prices are even more than Vienna. On a whole, the prices in Austria have been rising quite a bit in the past years.

Anyway, less of Austria  :lol: As this is the Hungarian Forum :D

Edit: So given the choice would you ever move back to Blighty or home country? There is a topic of the day.......

Think a lot of us have burnt our bridges back in Blighty and elsewhere.   If you're not on the property ladder there, you've almost no chance of getting back in and the rental market is not something you probably want either.  Property prices in the UK are criminal. 

People often say they want to sell up and move abroad but I'd always suggest maintaining a place back there, if only as an investment and as a lifeboat in case things go belly up over Brexit and OV.  I would like a place in the UK, just so there's somewhere to stay for a visit but I'm quite OK to continue to have a place here as well since I'm a long term person here and now have HU kids who might stay here, might not.  I might really struggle if Mrs Fluffy is taken away by aliens.

We probably have a worse financial situation but we're not in a dog-eat-dog type rat race either. If there are 4 cars at the traffic lights, it's a major jam.  People in the South of England really complain about traffic and that's a major negative.

I would not want the UK weather - cloudy all the time and just dull.  It's a lot better here, even in the winter it's so cold and crispy, it could be sunny which changes ones outlook and in a  way, it's shorter from say, November until mid-February.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Think a lot of us have burnt our bridges back in Blighty and elsewhere.   If you're not on the property ladder there, you've almost no chance of getting back in and the rental market is not something you probably want either.  Property prices in the UK are criminal.

Quite frankly, if I leave here I will have to seriously consider upgrading to a nice Ketch. Park it in international waters.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Quite frankly, if I leave here I will have to seriously consider upgrading to a nice Ketch. Park it in international waters.

Good idea. 

I'm thinking super yacht myself  as I need somewhere for my helicopter.   

Mooring it on Balaton is probably not advisable but maybe somewhere like the Caribbean.

SimCityAT wrote:

As for me, nope. I could not move back. (Half English, Half Welsh.)

Oh, I did suggest to the missus once to move to North Wales. We had a look around Machynlleth. I did this on purpose because I struggle with Hungarian vowels, and she cannot pronounce Machynlleth. It has become kinda  a family joke if I pronounce a Hungarian word wrong we call it "Machynlleth".

But yes property prices in the UK are ridiculous and that is what used to be called mickey-mouse money... your money is just nominal a bird in the hand is worth what it will bring so there is this nominal huge value on it, but what can you do with it? Get another equally ridiculously expensive house, where your nominal money is tied up again, or go somewhere else that is more rationally priced.

One thing in Hungary is that houses are never finished in the UK you would not do plasterwork, faience whatever on the outside of your walls and concrete it and not paint it or whatever, it is the norm in Hungary for nothing ever to be finished. You see a beautiful fine building built in 1920 or something, just a residential building, and it always has some cement and not plastered over or painted. In the UK you would never get that, I don't know if that is some kind of pride that inside it might be a hovel but we have to make it look nice to the neighbours, or what.

My missus is a bit annoyed at me, I live at number 50 (the street signs say there are 48 and 52 but there are not as they are on the corners and different streets) so just to make it a bit clearer to Szébastien our postman I painted the gate letters in Hammerite the '5' and the '0;. But I went a bit overboard, since the gate is sheet metal which I have already done in hammerite and is two metres high  I painted on one side a big '5' (signwriting is one of my latent talents) and ''0# on the other side, so you definitely now cannot miss number 50 as the numerals are each about 1.5 metres high, I quite like it.

SimonTrew wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

As for me, nope. I could not move back. (Half English, Half Welsh.)

Oh, I did suggest to the missus once to move to North Wales. We had a look around Machynlleth. I did this on purpose because I struggle with Hungarian vowels, and she cannot pronounce Machynlleth. It has become kinda  a family joke if I pronounce a Hungarian word wrong we call it "Machynlleth".

But yes property prices in the UK are ridiculous and that is what used to be called mickey-mouse money... your money is just nominal a bird in the hand is worth what it will bring so there is this nominal huge value on it, but what can you do with it? Get another equally ridiculously expensive house, where your nominal money is tied up again, or go somewhere else that is more rationally priced.

One thing in Hungary is that houses are never finished in the UK you would not do plasterwork, faience whatever on the outside of your walls and concrete it and not paint it or whatever, it is the norm in Hungary for nothing ever to be finished. You see a beautiful fine building built in 1920 or something, just a residential building, and it always has some cement and not plastered over or painted. In the UK you would never get that, I don't know if that is some kind of pride that inside it might be a hovel but we have to make it look nice to the neighbours, or what.

My missus is a bit annoyed at me, I live at number 50 (the street signs say there are 48 and 52 but there are not as they are on the corners and different streets) so just to make it a bit clearer to Szébastien our postman I painted the gate letters in Hammerite the '5' and the '0;. But I went a bit overboard, since the gate is sheet metal which I have already done in hammerite and is two metres high  I painted on one side a big '5' about a metre high (signwriting is one of my latent talents) and ''0' on the other side, so you definitely now cannot miss number 50 as the numerals are each about 1.5 metres high, I quite like it.

The only exception to "not finished" is public buildings, government owned buildings are always spik and span, no plaster falling off etc, without even seeing the hungarian flag in front of them if you have any eye for architecture, that is a government owned building, it is freshly painted. Usually on the inside they are rubbish, but someone from the Painting and Decorating Department of the National Assembly makes sure the outsides look nice.

One of the nice things in Hungary is that street signs actually tell you the street numbers and even point in which direction you are supposed to go. Street signage is superb. In the UK you have to just toss a coin, we can have a cul-de-sac with numbers going round or you can miss out numbers if you are superstitious or have six places all with the same number, if you are a commercial property you can choose not to say what number you are at.

On the other hand Hungarian street names tend to be named after people, and each district can have the same name, so Kinizsi Pál utca which is right next to my street is also in about twenty other places in Budapest. I have solved this burden by, I think, living in the only street in Budapest that is Swedish. Even Hungarians strugggle with it.

Hello Everyone!
In my research I am collecting attributes of expats about motivation of moving, why were you choosing Hungary, based on job, family, and home-country background stories. If you have a story and willing to share it, please send me a priv message
Cheers, Peter

szabop wrote:

Hello Everyone!
In my research I am collecting attributes of expats about motivation of moving, why were you choosing Hungary, based on job, family, and home-country background stories. If you have a story and willing to share it, please send me a priv message
Cheers, Peter

Do we get paid for your research? Or did you not bother to read this. Many of us, long-term residents do not regard ourselves as expatriates as we have lived in Hungary a long time. I do not see why we should be part of your experiment or research when you can do your homework just by looking at what people say here. Most of us are reasonably intelligent and we have different views and reasons. If you want to make some kind of statisical distribution for your oklevel, this is not the place to come, as we are a very small sample and well under the chi distribution you need.

szabop wrote:

Hello Everyone!
Cheers, Peter

I'm not quite so negative as Simon even though I can see where he's coming from.

Why don't you (Szabop) tell us a HU story of your own?  Or join in with the conversation?  Try out your journalistic interviewing techniques and maybe we'll get something back as well.

This thread as turned into a bunch of people having a wide and hopefully sometimes weird and potentially, fingers crossed,  even humorous even remotely tenuously HU conversation around a virtual table.

Hmmm...I thought about that a bit and wondered if it should be a pub table or as our German friends might say, a (welcoming), Stammtisch.  It's only 16.30 and I'm wonder if I should have a glass of wine with my comment but I think I'll have to have some tea as it's a bit early.

SimonTrew wrote:

My missus is a bit annoyed at me, I live at number 50 (the street signs say there are 48 and 52 but there are not as they are on the corners and different streets) so just to make it a bit clearer to Szébastien our postman I painted the gate letters in Hammerite the '5' and the '0;. But I went a bit overboard, since the gate is sheet metal which I have already done in hammerite and is two metres high  I painted on one side a big '5' (signwriting is one of my latent talents) and ''0# on the other side, so you definitely now cannot miss number 50 as the numerals are each about 1.5 metres high, I quite like it.

If I get you right on your gates, you might have trouble with delivery drivers if you leave one of the gates open....hmmm...it's not 50, it's 5 ...oh, this week it's not 5, it's house 0.   Jeez, make your mind up!

Maybe it's Hashtag #50, House 50.   There you go Simon, there's a name for your Twitter feed or Blog!

fluffy2560 wrote:
szabop wrote:

Hello Everyone!
Cheers, Peter

(Fluffy's response...).

The "priv message" was my flashpoint. You can conduct research with just collecting what we all say in public. You do not, and will not get us all sending you private messages about our experiences, because they are all different and that will not make a statistical sample. We are all here on expat.com, writing publicly about our experiences,   you only have to read them, it is public knowledge that Marilyn Tassy left Las Vegas after a string of bad luck on the blackjack, that Fluffy left the UK as he was being hunted down by the homophobic wing of the IRA,  that SimCityAT escaped to Austria on a motorbike impersonating Steve McQueen, and that I left the UK to put all my gold into safekeeping in switzerland, if you bothered to actually do some back checking it is all on public open record. Why should we bother to tell you, for your research, what we feel? Which anyway would skew your research, because what people say in public and private are different things. I happen to know that Fluffy's children are called Amateuse Rosé, the elder Fluffyette, and Ignoramus Bolux, the younger Fluffster, but how does that help you?

SimonTrew wrote:

..... that Fluffy left the UK as he was being hunted down by the homophobic wing of the IRA,  .... I happen to know that Fluffy's children are called Amateuse Rosé, the elder Fluffyette, and Ignoramus Bolux, the younger Fluffster, but how does that help you?

I happen to take exception to that,  I wear a dress for one day and everyone labels you.  And besides, it wasn't the IRA, it was their culinary wing, the KFC. 

Now they will know my location and there's no way I'm providing the bearded one, Gerry "Fuzzyface" Adams and that bloke off Star Trek TNG, Martin "I'll have a Stout" Guinness with afternoon tea.

And the Fluffyettes real names are  Child A and Child B. 

At least that's what it said on the court documents.... ;)

Well I would have got away with it, smuggling all that gold to Switzerland, if it wasn't for your pesky kids....

SimonTrew wrote:

Well I would have got away with it, smuggling all that gold to Switzerland, if it wasn't for your pesky kids....

That's what being in an episode of Scooby-Doo does for you.

Today I am wondering why my misssus is an auditor. Patently that is masculine, Why is she not an auditrix? Sex equality can go too far in my opinion.

I can't argue with this because someone has to pay for it, and I don't but the adverts on expat.com aare very directed to what you are talking about. I just sent a private message to a friend who is coming to Hungary and needs a car, and lo and behold I get ads about car rental.

I had a good one tonight for "the most unique watch ever". Superlative upon superlative. "Unique" does 'not admit of degrees' as the Oxford English Dictionary has it, something is either unique or it isn't and patently that is not going to be unique as you are not selling it just to me as  one-off (or if you are, you are on a sticky wicket as I am not buying it)/ Then to add "ever" ...  sheesh. "The least original advertisment ever".

I am aware that the adman writes the prose and cons, but I just want to slap them over the head with a copy of Fowler's Modern English Usage (second edition, thank you... Birchfield in third edition trashed it).

SimonTrew wrote:

I can't argue with this because someone has to pay for it, and I don't but the adverts on expat.com aare very directed to what you are talking about. I just sent a private message to a friend who is coming to Hungary and needs a car, and lo and behold I get ads about car rental.

Apparently Google will now scan e-mails via gmail.com and  craft a reply for you to finalise and edit.

Earlier on in this thread I was wondering if our mobile phones were being listened to covertly.   We did a test by by saying "dinosaur" randomly in the hope we'd see adverts for dinos for sale but so far, nothing.  Very disappointing.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Sheesh landlubber you don't "park" a boat.. but anyway there are some nice spots on the canal that runs past the cemetary, very shady and so on, so I suggest  you moor it there, and you will be one temető ketch up,

SimonTrew wrote:
klsallee wrote:

......Ketch. Park it in international waters.

Sheesh landlubber you don't "park" a boat..

Well, you don't moor a plane and that's got lots of nautical type terminology. 

Although as far as I know they use left and right while navigating ("Turn right, heading XYZ") and not port/starboard but they do say Port engine, Starboard engine, wing etc. 

But they also wear nautical type uniforms and say Captain. 

On the other hand, the Co-pilot is not the First Mate unless they are really really good friends.

Really the best place to put  your ketch is just somewhere near Casablanca, then you have the wind from the Med, although it is not in international waters I think if you drop anchor there, you will find it quite moorish.

SimonTrew wrote:

Really the best place to put  your ketch is just somewhere near Casablanca, then you have the wind from the Med, although it is not in international waters I think if you drop anchor there, you will find it quite moorish.

Saddleworth is quite moorish as well.

Further north towards Salgótarján, there's an area which is very moor like as well (at least I remember it to be like that, 20 years or so ago).

fluffy2560 wrote:

Although as far as I know they use left and right while navigating ("Turn right, heading XYZ") and not port/starboard but they do say Port engine, Starboard engine, wing etc.

Actually it depends. Port and starboard wings have red and green lamps, port for left, starboard for right, and yes it is the port and starboard wing etc.  But it depends, you also will say "Left Left" or "Right Right" like runways are "twenty seven left" for example, that is 270 degrees from North i.e due west, or "twenty seven right" same heading but on the other runway. "left" and "right" there refer to the two different runways, 27 left is also 09 right  (i.e. due east) it depends which direction you take off and land in and these are marked on the runways in great big letters in case the pilots are too busy chatting up the pretty cabin crew or something, they can't miss.

So really, your port/starboard are used as relative direction, if you have your pitch yaw and roll, your port is always going to be on YOUR left in your frame of reference (i,e in your aircraft) but to the ground you wil call "left" because they are in a different frame of reference, a different co-ordinate system, so  your own personal port and starboard makes little sense to Air Traffic Control. It just depends on the frame of reference, really.

On aircraft carriers you say ""left" and "right" from boat to plane instead of "port" and "starboard" because they are in different frames of reference, that if it lands starting at the bow end and finishing at the stern end (if it does't fall off the back, which occasionally happens) then the aircraft's "port" and "startboard" are completely the opposite to the ship's "port" and "starboard" so it is directed simply as "left" or "right".

"Turn left" or "Turn right" just is a clipped convenient way of saying "go anticlockwise" or "go clockwise", e.g. for clockwise left wing up right wing down to yaw towards the right, clockwise. You actually mostly do this by banking that is that like on a motorcycle your centre of gravity goes out from where you are spinning around, like a motorcyclist does on a roundabout/traffic circle, that you shift your centre of gravity  outside of the object itself i.e. you and spin around, the centre of gravity.  Generally all t he time for an aircraft the guidance systems are assuming that gravity is zero, it is just easier to assume in the guidance equations that except for the up-diddly-up-dup and the down-diddly-down-down gravity is zero,  it just makes the equations a bit simpler to assume the thing is in steady flight and work from there, rather than swamp all the equations with gravity.

Oh I forgot, I was actually a rocket scientist :)

Speaking of co-otdinate systems as I was, if you go to the bottom of St Gellert Hill by the British Chain Bridge (Láncshíd) designed by Adam Clark an Englishman and  built by James Clark a Scotsman, but for some reason Hungarians seem to have as a national symbol that is very kind of them thank the British for their bridge, but just there you will find the zero kilometre post where all distances in Hnungary are measured from.

SimonTrew wrote:

Speaking of co-otdinate systems as I was, if you go to the bottom of St Gellert Hill by the British Chain Bridge (Láncshíd) designed by Adam Clark an Englishman and  built by James Clark a Scotsman, but for some reason Hungarians seem to have as a national symbol that is very kind of them thank the British for their bridge, but just there you will find the zero kilometre post where all distances in Hnungary are measured from.

What you possibly don't know is that the Castle Tunnel is where they store the bridge when it rains (this is a kids story here).

Actually on the bridge construction sign, I am sure it says Clark Adam, not Adam Clark so that's a case of mixing up names the local way disproving my previous theory of name order.

For some reason, I have an idea that at one point, there was a very large stone 0 there as the start point. I think it was in the middle of the roundabout.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Actually on the bridge construction sign, I am sure it says Clark Adam, not Adam Clark.

It does indeed, he is kinda honorary Hungarian. On the other hand James Watt, inventor of the kettle and Robert Stephenson, inventor of the moving kettle, are on the front of Kéleti Pályaúdvar in Western Name Order. Much nicer station than Nyugati, but then what can you expect from a Frenchman, Georges Eiffel was busy doing  a Statue of Liberty and a tower which if memory serves is falling apart somewhere in Paris, but he just fobbed it off to his apprentices who presumably did not know the word "grandeur".

SimonTrew wrote:

Actually it depends. Port and starboard wings have red and green lamps, port for left, starboard for right, and yes it is the port and starboard wing etc.  But it depends, you also will say "Left Left" or "Right Right" like runways are "twenty seven left" for example, that is 270 degrees from North i.e due west, or "twenty seven right" same heading but on the other runway. "left" and "right" there refer to the two different runways, 27 left is also 09 right  (i.e. due east) it depends which direction you take off and land in and these are marked on the runways in great big letters in case the pilots are too busy chatting up the pretty cabin crew or something, they can't miss......

On aircraft carriers you say ""left" and "right" from boat to plane instead of "port" and "starboard" because they are in different frames of reference, that if it lands starting at the bow end and finishing at the stern end (if it does't fall off the back, which occasionally happens) then the aircraft's "port" and "startboard" are completely the opposite to the ship's "port" and "starboard" so it is directed simply as "left" or "right".

"Turn left" or "Turn right" just is a clipped convenient way of saying "go anticlockwise" or "go clockwise", e.g. for clockwise left wing up right wing down to yaw towards the right, clockwise. You actually mostly do this by banking that is that like on a motorcycle your centre of gravity goes out from where you are spinning around, like a motorcyclist does on a roundabout/traffic circle, that you shift your centre of gravity  outside of the object itself i.e. you and spin around, the centre of gravity.  Generally all t he time for an aircraft the guidance systems are assuming that gravity is zero, it is just easier to assume in the guidance equations that except for the up-diddly-up-dup and the down-diddly-down-down gravity is zero,  it just makes the equations a bit simpler to assume the thing is in steady flight and work from there, rather than swamp all the equations with gravity.

Oh I forgot, I was actually a rocket scientist :)

Hmmmm....well, we know about the big labels on  the end of the runway.

But anyways, if you are under radar control, then you'll get told left and right as they know which direction you are going and even then, ATC know your heading, speed and altitude.  By saying, turn left 270, it's obvious which direction you are going.

I always thought aircraft carriers turned into wind when recovering and launching aircraft in order to provide as slow a flying speed as possible relatively.  Moreover the arresting system is at the stern end so a bow recovery would surely be impossible to do safely, especially if there's a ramp, Harrier style.

I'm not convinced about the centre of gravity moving with banking.  That's just centripetal force applied.   When you're banking and look at out  the window, you can see the point at which you rotate but the force of the centre of gravity of the plane as far as gravity goes must still be the same, e.g vertically straight down.

And as for the lights, that's nautical so null event re parking your ketch vs mooring your plane.  On the other hand, Zepplins have mooring lines.  Don't know about balloons.  People hanging on the lines too long might be known as morons?

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

gravity goes must still be the same, e.g vertically straight down

No, in the guidance equations usually gravity goes UP, it is just a question of swittching your sign really, you are trying to compensate for gravity, so you are trying to put a force to make the thnig compensate gravity which is down, so in th equations it is usually up, but that is just a matter of convention, if you are in Cartesian space on your Z axis positive Z will be UP.

Obviously gravity doesn't change on whether you put a plus or minus sign. For anything below outer space you can assume gravity is a straight line  vector to the centre of the earth, it doesn't really matter for short to medium range or even long range missiles, the earth's rotation etc is not very important for those kinds of equations.

But most radar, missile etc it is easier to do it in polar coordinates because as a missile rifles, a plane banks or yaws etc it is much simpler to do it in three dimensional polar coordinates, phi chi and theta, and then your other three to give you six degrees of freedom, than it is to do it in Cartesian coordrinates. If a missile or bullet is rifling, it does so at so many revs a second, and that is a lot easier to do in the equations for its rotational speed, than to somehow say this is its position, anyway you tend to differentiate from accelerometers to get position, your mobile phone does it.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I always thought aircraft carriers turned into wind...

An aircraft has a much shorter and faster turning circle than an an aircraft carrier.

Ideally an aircraft should land into the wind and take off with the wind behind it, land or sea,

That is why every runway has two directions e.g 09/27 so ATC can choose from the met charts on that day's traffic whether to go THAT way or THAT way. But turning around an aircraft carrier is only slightly less difficult than turning around an airport, so it is a lot easier to turn the aircraft around.

Word of the Day

AUGUST 10, 2018

rash
marked by undue haste or lack of caution