Absolutely Anything Else

zif wrote:

"My sister hooked me up with Netflix from the US."

Is Netflix US now working again from overseas? I subscribed a few years ago, but then they started blocking access if you were overseas, even if you used a VPN, so I cancelled my subscription. (There's local Netflix in Hungary and many other countries, but it offers nothing like the choice of Netflix US.)

Would start up again, at least for the next couple of months, if they've decided to unblock overseas access again. (Supposedly overseas access was blocked for copyright reasons: films on Netflix US are only licensed for viewing in the US.)

I use UK Netflix here.  No VPN required. 

Possibly they detect via geolocation and block some movies but I've not noticed that as I don't see any messages telling me it's blocked.  Maybe we only see what is available to us at that moment.   Obviously we are able to see all their own produced content without restrictions.

I do see blocking restrictions on say, the BBC Iplayer.  Then I have to use a VPN to download within their application and watch from within that Iplayer application.

Possibly in the future, the BBC will become available on a subscription basis.  I'd probably pay for it, maybe £100 a year but maybe not.  The quality there is becoming dire one has to wonder if it's worth it.  Netflix/Amazon etc are producing some of the best content these days but it's a shame there isn't a crossover between them.   

One can download I suppose if one was inclined to do that.

zif wrote:

"My sister hooked me up with Netflix from the US."

Is Netflix US now working again from overseas? I subscribed a few years ago, but then they started blocking access if you were overseas, even if you used a VPN, so I cancelled my subscription. (There's local Netflix in Hungary and many other countries, but it offers nothing like the choice of Netflix US.)

Would start up again, at least for the next couple of months, if they've decided to unblock overseas access again. (Supposedly overseas access was blocked for copyright reasons: films on Netflix US are only licensed for viewing in the US.)

Depends on the VPN some out you but others don't.

SimCityAT wrote:

...Depends on the VPN some out you but others don't.

Yes, my experience of BBC Iplayer is that they know the IP addresses of the major VPN providers and they are engaged in a cat and mouse game with the BBC to overcome their restrictions.   

The most useful thing is if one knows someone in the UK - then with some minor IT work one can set up one's own VPN.  I've abandoned VPN providers and I now VPN into multiple relatives' houses.   

BBC premise is ridiculous now as it's so easy to get around.  They should allow say, British people (at least), to legitimately purchase a TV license or equivalent/subscription, for viewing anywhere in the world  they can get a connection.  It's inevitable in the end they'll have to do something. Netflix/Amazon has sowed the seeds of the demise of that kind of national TV delivery.  People will just download otherwise and that means zero income.

There is Britbox now, but you can't use it in Europe, unless you use a VPN but you can in Canada and the USA.

SimCityAT wrote:

There is Britbox now, but you can't use it in Europe, unless you use a VPN but you can in Canada and the USA.

Oh yes, I heard about it but again, it's another bodge over the domestic delivery.  You'd think the BBC would make sure it can broadcast any programming it shows domestically on a subscription basis.

VPNs are a problem.  Specifically I've found the BBC can detect PPTP but L2TP they find more difficult to detect or they are ignoring it.   The performance for streaming is terrible from here over VPN.  Impossible to stream in real time and I have a pretty good connection (120Mbps/8Mbps).  Downloading works fine of course on IPlayer but it can take hours or days and possibly weeks to get some programmes.

If one looks at the data streaming rates for different media types:  SD movies - 2-3 Mbps.  HD is more like 5 Mbps.  4K is mid-20s Mbps.

Quite hard to achieve consistently over a VPN with encryption on a typical domestic router with a typical DSL connection without a lot of buffering.   UK networks are pretty bad.

We used a VPN for ages but cancelled when we took a long holiday and cancelled our cable too.
I am good with just U tube, it was nice though, last night i watched some Netflix on our new laptop, the one I use daily is on it's last legs...
Wish I had bought a new one my last trip to the US,but got sidetracked.
We don't need a high end computer, we only use the interenet to check e-mail , skype or Fb with some entertainment.
Don't want to buy a smart tv either.
have no smart phone and OK with that too.
We have landline phone and a old style pre paid cell phone.
No one calls us so it's no biggie.
Only time I wished I had a modern cell phone was 6 years ago, could of used the GPS to drive to Poland.
Instead we used a old map and got turned around. SK was doing a ton of road work and we ran into so many closed roads and detours it wasn't funny.
A 6 hour ride took us 11 hours...If I didn't want to visit my family so badly we probably would of just gone home and forgotten the whole thing.
Saw the latest news in Hungary. Guess OV has full control of the gov.
Not sure what  that means, was expecting something like this to happen world wide, seems to be happening.
Not much we can do about it now.
I wonder how my parents generation felt when right after living through a major war they were put in lockdown for over 50 years.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Don't want to buy a smart tv either.
have no smart phone and OK with that too.
Saw the latest news in Hungary. Guess OV has full control of the gov.
Not sure what  that means, was expecting something like this to happen world wide, seems to be happening.
Not much we can do about it now.
I wonder how my parents generation felt when right after living through a major war they were put in lockdown for over 50 years.

TV is not the same as it was even 10 years ago.  Everyone is picking and choosing the time to watch.  There's no need to wait for the broadcast.  I wonder if anyone is watching some of the TV channels we have here on cable.  There must be 100s of them and 95% of them look like a waste of time.  Better to read a book!  I worry about my kids ability to read a book.  Attention spans seem to be shorter.

We're in the process here of replacing electrical stuff we've had for 10 or 15+ years or more.  As these things break down and become uneconomic to repair, we've ended up replacing these items with WiFi connected models.  Now our tumble dryer tells us by app when the cycle has finished and the fridge also tells us by smartphone how happy it is with current conditions and that it's operating within limits.   The next step will be for the washing machine to inform us of it's aspirations and comfort.   It's on it's last legs and is about 15 years old. It will need to be replaced in the next year or so as it's started to have dementia.    No doubt it'll go the same way and be WiFi connected.

Mrs Fluffy and I were depressed to hear OV is now ruling by decree indefinitely.  I did say some weeks ago that human rights would be affected. 

Here's my scaremongering prediction for the next 2-5 years: end of Hungary in the EU and NATO and  Russia is back here to "protect Hungary".  In the next 10 years:  OV decides he should be executive President for life and becomes the permanent puppet of Putin.     

The upside might be Trump is blamed for the poor response to the pandemic, loses the election to someone more reasonable and the world turns away from nationalism leaving insignificant countries like Hungary isolated or as satellites of Russia along with Turkey and Syria.

I read an interview with a HU politician who was commenting on the post-Communist legacy  -  Communist control gone but replaced with another colour of the same thing.  "Same sh*t" was the final statement.

I must say your future predictions are a lot more positive then mine are.
I have no fear but I wouldn't count my chickens right now.
Waiting for the next shoe to drop.
This is a "perfect" time for a huge change by all world gov. out of "concern" for us.. right.
I really have no huge stake in the game at this point but those who still have  faith in the system are in for a huge wake up call and sooner then they want to know about.
I told my husband I would hate to lose all of our savings but he is good with it if it means a change for everyone for the better, like that ever happened!
There have been huge changes all over the world in the past but nothing like it all going down at one time.
Honestly I do not want to pormote fear , nothing has really ever been in our control, now we are seeing it clearly.
In any case we must hope for the best but I wouldn't hold my breath right now.
This is "out there" but I wouldn't doubt that this 6 feet away thing will go on forever, they may decide to limit people as to what days they are allowed outside, maybe by number or district?
Yes, perhaps I've been watching too many si-fi shows but who could of thought this crap would happen just a month ago?
On the ligher side, yesterdsay I bought a "cheap" hairclipper as the one I brought from the states has gone kaput. In line on senior only hours, some guy tried to jump the line in front of me because I was keeping the 6 ft. rule. I told him what was up and motioned for him to get to the end of the line already. He was wearing is "official" mask but still not going along with the "program".

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I must say your future predictions are a lot more positive then mine are.
I have no fear but I wouldn't count my chickens right now.
Yes, perhaps I've been watching too many sci-fi shows but who could of thought this crap would happen just a month ago?
On the ligher side, yesterdsay I bought a "cheap" hairclipper as the one I brought from the states has gone kaput. In line on senior only hours, some guy tried to jump the line in front of me because I was keeping the 6 ft. rule. I told him what was up and motioned for him to get to the end of the line already. He was wearing is "official" mask but still not going along with the "program".

I thought I was being very negative and pessimistic in my predictions.  The EU said they didn't like it but in true EU style they didn't actually cite Hungary.  Typical. I suppose they are keeping their powder dry for later on.   I would have said, suspend the budget pending outcome of a challenge in the constitutional court.  Might just be going through the motions.

IMHO you can never watch enough SciFi shows - so many good shows on now of all genres.   There are multiple online self-hairclipping uploads where people are doing their own haircuts due to lockdowns.  They can all just leave it to grow and take a cool hippy dude stance on it with pony tails or the Santa look.

We ARE counting our pet chickens here. Unfortunately one of them died today :(  We had 5, then lost one about six or seven months ago and then another one today.  They were getting a bit old. About 4 years old is old for a hen bred as a layer although some last for 12 years.  She just stopped eating and drinking and was motionless a lot of the time and looked half-asleep.  Unfortunately the cost of the vet would be far more than the chicken. 

We think it was just age, not disease - we look after them very well.  The last one just keeled over dead and was buried in a small ceremony with the kids officiating.  Another chicken funeral tomorrow and not even coronavirus. Anyway, they have a luxury life here at Fluffyland.

Mrs Fluffy says no more but I've got quite used to them and will miss them when they are gone. If we end up with one, it'll probably be the end of the era of the pet chickens.  One chicken alone will die of loneliness.   I would have more but I think we'll have to have a gap to allow relocating, rebuilding and reorganising of the Fluffy Chicken Hotel and Gardens.

Odd that folks are getting through to non-Hungary Netflix without a VPN, but maybe there's some sort of EU rule that requires that. Elsewhere it seems there are still problems using a VPN to access Netflix US from overseas. Like before, you may get it working for a while then it'll stop till you find a new work-around.

Too frustrating for me.

zif wrote:

Odd that folks are getting through to non-Hungary Netflix without a VPN, but maybe there's some sort of EU rule that requires that. Elsewhere it seems there are still problems using a VPN to access Netflix US from overseas. Like before, you may get it working for a while then it'll stop till you find a new work-around.

Too frustrating for me.

Cannot say about Netflix USA.   Don't know of any rule that would mean Netflix HAS to operate EU wide. 

One thing which might be different is that Netflix own content here is available in multiple languages and subtitling. I don't know if that's the same in the USA version.  One of my kids watch often shows in say English or Spanish or German usually using English (sometimes Hungarian) subtitles.

As far as I know Netflix UK gets the same releases as the USA at the same time.

Have you just tried it?  Or do you get that it's blocked or something?

zif wrote:

Too frustrating for me.

My sister in the US has added me to her account that's how I receive it. She can add a friend.
She gave me her code and password.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
zif wrote:

Too frustrating for me.

My sister in the US has added me to her account that's how I receive it. She can add a friend.

Same with my daughter - gave me the username and password.  Works without VPN.  In the one we use, you can have up to 5 profiles stored.  Don't know if everyone can watch simultaneously from different countries or different streams on different PCs.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:
zif wrote:

Too frustrating for me.

Same with my daughter - gave me the username and password.  Works without VPN.  In the one we use, you can have up to 5 profiles stored.  Don't know if everyone can watch simultaneously from different countries or different streams on different PCs.

I'm not totlaly sure if we can watch at the same time or not but she is 6 or so hours behind me and not a huge tv person. I only watch in the evenings.
Catching up on Highlander. After over a year of no Netflix it's a bit hard to get back into the storyline though.

Our 86or 87 year old neighbor went into the hospital on Sunday.
Her daughter called us yesterday to tell us.
She had been passing out and falling for a few weeks.
One time they had to get the next door neighbor to help get her up.
She fell a few days before going into hospital and was crying hard.,She broke a bone in her back.
We are afraid this is it for her.
Not a great time to be in the hospital. Her girl can not even visit her. She is going to drop off a bag for her and that's it, so sad.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I'm not totlaly sure if we can watch at the same time or not but she is 6 or so hours behind me and not a huge tv person. I only watch in the evenings.
Catching up on Highlander. After over a year of no Netflix it's a bit hard to get back into the storyline though.

Our 86or 87 year old neighbor went into the hospital on Sunday.
Her daughter called us yesterday to tell us.
She had been passing out and falling for a few weeks.
One time they had to get the next door neighbor to help get her up.
She fell a few days before going into hospital and was crying hard.,She broke a bone in her back.
We are afraid this is it for her.
Not a great time to be in the hospital. Her girl can not even visit her. She is going to drop off a bag for her and that's it, so sad.

Doesn't sound like COVID19 for your neighbour.  Could be dehydration or blood pressure or a UTI.  Strange that dehydration - I don't know why it seems to mess up people. All they have to do is drink 2 litres of water a day.

We've got some HU relatives with definite and possible dementia.   This means going to visit them to stop them getting into trouble and exposing them to the virus.  They forget to eat and drink which gives other issues of course.  The main issue seems to be putting themselves in danger - forgetting there's a lockdown and leaving the gas on or leaving stuff to burn in the oven.

We've heard directly from the Docs it's almost impossible to get people assessed for anything these days.  One of these relatives possibly has cancer but if over 70, the message is that the government will not do anything to fix them.  That seems to be in general not just because of coronavirus.   

If these dementia relatives go into homes or hospital, these days it seems no-one will come back out.  Blocked from leaving or become institutionalised or the grim reaper.

"Have you just tried it?  Or do you get that it's blocked or something?"

No, as I mentioned, I was signed up for Netflix US until three years or so ago, until accessing it with a VPN from overseas became too frustrating; not impossible, just too much work each time to contact the VPN and get instructions for the newest work-around, which might or might not work. So I cancelled.

Now, with a lot of time on my hands like everybody, I'm thinking of signing up again. But I don't want to sign up for Netflix and for a VPN only to find the same frustration as before. And just from browsing comments elsewhere on the web, I suspect I would.

I also signed up for Amazon Prime US around that time.  VPN  access was easier, but Amazon Prime then had nowhere near the movie choices Netflix had. Maybe that's changed: I'll check.

zif wrote:

"Have you just tried it?  Or do you get that it's blocked or something?"

No, as I mentioned, I was signed up for Netflix US until three years or so ago, until accessing it with a VPN from overseas became too frustrating; not impossible, just too much work each time to contact the VPN and get instructions for the newest work-around, which might or might not work. So I cancelled.

Now, with a lot of time on my hands like everybody, I'm thinking of signing up again. But I don't want to sign up for Netflix and for a VPN only to find the same frustration as before. And just from browsing comments elsewhere on the web, I suspect I would.

I also signed up for Amazon Prime US around that time.  VPN  access was easier, but Amazon Prime then had nowhere near the movie choices Netflix had. Maybe that's changed: I'll check.

Maybe sign up for a trial if possible, see if it works and if it does, go from there?  If it doesn't then just cancel. 

The quality on Netflix has theoretically been scaled back due to the EU thinking the network capacity is insufficient for HD. However, I think there are no capacity problems anywhere in Europe, regardless of anything else going on.  We only really watch in SD anyway.   We might up our capacity but just because a 2 x speed package has dropped in price to the price we pay now.  Our local provider office is however not open these days due to COVID19 so I don't know how we can upgrade.  A job for the fantabulous Mrs Fluffy.

We're getting into trying to do other stuff.  Learn to play a musical instrument. Take up a solo sport.   Write a novel or a play or memoirs (yes, you Marilyn).  Do research on some obscure subject.  Do some DIY.  I'm often doing car repairs these days and I've started thinking about rewiring my shed and making a bike rack.  I have a list as long as my arm for jobs around the house.  At least 4 months of full time jobs.

Our old neighbor is going to be sent to another hospital just down the st. from us for tests after that her daughter may see about getting her into a care home.
She has been a shut-in for a couple of years because she got fat and can't get up and down the stairs.
We visited in the flat a few times, ordered in food and chatted but lately we haven't seen her much.
Wearing adult diapers and not feeling too good about herself.
Too much for her daughter to handle, the women weights 90 kilos.
Our son seems just fine in Japan, they even went to a nice restaurant with his FIL a couple days ago.
Cherry blossom time there, events are closed but many people are still going out to enjoy the blossoms.
Not as strict as in the EU but then again, people in Japan keep a distance naturally , at least emotionally.
Heard someone was shot in Dumaguete for breaking the quarantine rules...Wow that's a bit scary.
Also heard they have now closed the beaches in Hawaii and everywhere in the states, all public parks are closed.
Well, my husband is about to attempt to bake some bread...

zif wrote:

Now, with a lot of time on my hands like everybody,

Well not quite everybody. I have little time actually. Now that it is spring. I am going into high gear. Gardening (food security), property care taking of my vineyards and orchards, etc etc etc. I may be the exception., but if there is an exception then there is no such thing as "everybody".  :D:cool:

Also consider, rather than simply laying around like a carrot, watching media, why not instead take this time to read more? Maybe some classics? Some that are relevant to our times. Or just new, interesting or just fun? Such as:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/ … galsworthyhttp://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/ … anuel+Kanthttp://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/ … +delusionshttp://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=mobi+dickhttp://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/ … on+Quixote

or whatever at http://www.gutenberg.org

Also plenty of books, old peridodicals (I am rereading Galaxy Magazine -- and interesting how Scifi from the 1950's are relevant today), OTR and Old classic films (if you must watch media) at:

http://www.archive.org

Maybe now is the prefect time to expand your world, your, options and look into alternatives.

Just saying....

Sighs... Merica....

About 2 Million Guns Were Sold in the U.S. as Virus Fears Spread

Would you really kill someone if they tried to steal your horde of toilet paper? I honestly fear some Americans might....   :o

klsallee wrote:

Also consider, rather than simply laying around like a carrot, watching media, why not instead take this time to read more? Maybe some classics? Some that are relevant to our times. Or just new, interesting or just fun? Such as:

or whatever at http://www.gutenberg.org.....

Just saying....

Interesting choices of books.   

Meanwhile, there's a lot to explore elsewhere.  I've started reading a trilogy by Octavia E Butler - an African-American Sci-Fi writer I've come across recently.   I thought it might be a bit of a twist to the usual fare. 

The only thing is that it's available just in electronic form and I find it hard to read on a tablet.  Paper is so much nicer.

Watching media works OK if one picks one's genre.  Some good late afternoon couch potato Westerns around, particularly these "big" movie star vehicles of the 60s with John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and the like.   Great scenery in many of those old movies.  British thrillers and comedies of the 40s to 70s are good fun too.

klsallee wrote:

Sighs... Merica....

About 2 Million Guns Were Sold in the U.S. as Virus Fears Spread

Would you really kill someone if they tried to steal your hoard of toilet paper? I honestly fear some Americans might....   :o

I think it's inevitable someone is going to be gunned down over TP. It happens everyday over many other seemingly trivial things so why not TP too?

fluffy2560 wrote:

Back from working outside.

The book list was a very, very short list. I tried to keep it somewhat international.  But authors that make one think.

I could easily go on: Thomas Hardy, Henry James, Edgar Allan Poe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Emily Dickinson, Henry David Thoreau, John Locke, Mark Twain, John Steward Mill, O' Henry, Ambrose Bierce, Mika Waltari, Zsigmond Móricz, Georges-Louis Leclerc Comte de Buffon, Machiavelli, Dante, Sun Tzu*, etc etc etc.

There is so much to read. Watching media may be a waste of one's finite life time.....

*not just a silly list, I have read works from all I listed.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Back from working outside.

The book list was a very, very short list. I tried to keep it somewhat international.  But authors that make one think.

I could easily go on: Thomas Hardy, Henry James, Edgar Allan Poe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Emily Dickinson, Henry David Thoreau, John Locke, Mark Twain, John Steward Mill, O' Henry, Ambrose Bierce, Mika Waltari, Zsigmond Móricz, Georges-Louis Leclerc Comte de Buffon, Machiavelli, Dante, Sun Tzu*, etc etc etc.

There is so much to read. Watching media may be a waste of one's finite life time.....

*not just a silly list, I have read works from all I listed.

I noticed that most of them are the older classics.  All good of course. 

Thoreau I've read (mainly Civil Disobedience) and Sun Tzu as well - required reading back in the day for courses I was taking.   In school we had set books - Twain's output figured in that.

Reading is such an important skill but as I do it professionally all the time, it's lost some interest in it for pleasure recently as there's too much to do.   Used to read a couple of books a month - chapter a night generally.   Has to be something really interesting to be worth picking up.  Lockdown might change that.

Over the years and in school, it seemed easier to just go for the quick hit and watch the movie versions. Especially Shakespearean plays - needed to pass the exam. Those are such hard going to read and one has to have notes to get the context.    The movies bring some of those particular stories to life and give a wider audience. 

When I was about 12 in the early 70s, I was truly gobsmacked at Burton and Taylor's performance in a cut-down version of the Taming of the Shrew.  Never came across in the book/play to me.  It's about the only Shakespearean play I enjoyed.   

Thomas Hardy I enjoyed - Far from The Madding Crowd.  Good 1967 movie and great actors.

Actually I'm wondering if lockdown will cause a permanent change in working patterns and perhaps people will have more time and it doesn't need to be a rat race. People possibly will realise they can work from home for many things now.  Quite interesting to see if this changes society.

Yes, someone will get shot over some TP sooner or later. I saw online a 4 pack was going for over $25.... Grand larceny. My sister in IN said they were selling one roll for over $2.50 in the stores.
Went out today to run a few errands, what a nice day outside.
Got out of one shop and noticed a man about 12 feet away from the shop pull down his face mask to spit and cough, not sure if that is all that social of him.
Went into a "Chinese store" which is actually run by Vietnamese people, the clerk was in full gear, gloves, maks, some huge plastic face mask like a welder would wear plus the partition that covered his work area.
I am not sure what to say about a post I read this morning saying that within the next few days the HU gov.,will be giving virus tests to every HU citizen. Can we refuse? I heard that some of those tests were faulty and actually gave people the virus.
I am not willing to just hand over my DNA with the chance I could get sick from some contaminated test pack.There would be no need to go door to door to round up rebels, just give everyone a test kit and let them do the dirty work themselves without one shot being fired.
Conspiracy, maybe, maybe not.
Just realized how much trust of our health we place in the hands of strangers.
Saw a post on FB where some young guy wanted to help out old shut in's by doing the shopping for them.
On the surface that sounds really generous and sweet but if you know human nature it could also be something not so nice.
What better way to get access to the inside of an old helpless persons apt.?
I think if older people call up the local city hall they will have someone come around to help them out if needed. Not that they can be fully trusted but at least there will be a record of their home visit on file.
Getting a bit paranoid , maybe but not really.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I listed mostly what is free online or can be easily purchased in Hungary.

But... Yes classics. Because: Nil dictum quod non dictum prius.

Just as a side note.....

I think Galsworthy is the greatest English author of the early 20th century. Yes, I am not really that impressed with James Joyce's extreme esoteric allusions, despite understanding his goal....  Galsworthy was an expert on the common use of sardonic and sarcastic verses, yet with a real human touch of empathy which so many missed...  Including IMHO Joyce. (again, just IMHO).

I gave my wife a copy of the Forsyte Saga in Hungarian. And we had an interesting many hour discussion one day about that cultural translation of one page where Swithin, (the name is also a sardonic allusion) gave a party, in Chapter 3 and included such as:

And thus sitting, a watch in his hand, fat, and smooth, and golden, like a flattened globe of butter, he thought of nothing.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Maybe just skip to the summary and then you've read all novels that have ever been:

Plotto by William Wallace Cook

Cook pretty much nailed the Nil dictum sentiment.

Enjoy while you can!

I've been a hardcore book reader all my life, but with ageing and worse eyesight, I find book reading has pretty sadly become a chore: 15 or 20 minutes at a stretch, then it's time to let the eyes rest.  Makes reading those War-and-Peace sized classic novels a weeks-long effort.

Not to say we aren't going to have weeks stuck inside now to read them.

klsallee wrote:

Just as a side note.....

I think Galsworthy is the greatest English author of the early 20th century. Yes, I am not really that impressed with James Joyce's extreme esoteric allusions, despite understanding his goal....  Galsworthy was an expert on the common use of sardonic and sarcastic verses, yet with a real human touch of empathy which so many missed...  Including IMHO Joyce. (again, just IMHO).

I gave my wife a copy of the Forsyte Saga in Hungarian. And we had an interesting many hour discussion one day about that cultural translation of one page where Swithin, (the name is also a sardonic allusion) gave a party, in Chapter 3 and included such as:

And thus sitting, a watch in his hand, fat, and smooth, and golden, like a flattened globe of butter, he thought of nothing.

Not very familiar with Galsworthy but nearly everyone in the UK will know of James Joyce,  Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw ( (who were actually all of Irish origins).   Maybe not through the actual books but movie and TV adaptations.

I remember the Forsyte Saga on the TV in the mid-70s and running a mile from it back then but your quote was rather good. Obviously I was a kid back then and clearly my opinion has mellowed with age.

zif wrote:

Enjoy while you can!

I've been a hardcore book reader all my life, but with ageing and worse eyesight, I find book reading has pretty sadly become a chore: 15 or 20 minutes at a stretch, then it's time to let the eyes rest.  Makes reading those War-and-Peace sized classic novels a weeks-long effort.

Not to say we aren't going to have weeks stuck inside now to read them.

You could always move into audio books - no eyeball usage required.  Some of them are pretty good although I tend to last about 5 minutes before I fall asleep.  Some famous and well readers are so soporific, they are perfect cures for insomnia!  I used to listen to them in the car - not ideal if they make you nod off!

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Maybe just skip to the summary and then you've read all novels that have ever been:

If you meant this in humor... Haha.. Good one.  :top:

My further comment is not relevant. :D

But... hard to tell if meant in humor. And these days, lacking an emoji in your post, I can not tell what you meant exactly. Consider using emojis....  To clarify intent and not annoy others....  :cool:

If not joking, then missing my point. With a silly reference post from a cynic.....

Classics are classics because they represent a potential architype. As in "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."  ~~George Santayana

I did not say later works could not "refine" earlier workd for a modern audience consumption. But I would indeed argue that the basic message from earlier works still is basically unchanged fundamentally.....  As in we all stand on shoulders of those that came before us.

No matter what web site or MEME you want to reference. Which are just a 21st century attempt at nilling out a few thousand years of history and philosophy and few hundred years of science based methodology. with one link.... Wow. One link. Slam dunk!.... Not.....  :rolleyes:  ignoring the copious amounts of counter data available in books at the sites I already recommended. Or at your local University Library  :cool:  if you ever go there. Again... if you did not mean that .....Fail. Next time, use an emoji....   :dumbom::whistle:

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I am not sure what to say about a post I read this morning saying that within the next few days the HU gov.,will be giving virus tests to every HU citizen. Can we refuse? I heard that some of those tests were faulty and actually gave people the virus.
I am not willing to just hand over my DNA with the chance I could get sick from some contaminated test pack.There would be no need to go door to door to round up rebels, just give everyone a test kit and let them do the dirty work themselves without one shot being fired.
Conspiracy, maybe, maybe not.
Just realized how much trust of our health we place in the hands of strangers.
Saw a post on FB where some young guy wanted to help out old shut in's by doing the shopping for them.
On the surface that sounds really generous and sweet but if you know human nature it could also be something not so nice.
What better way to get access to the inside of an old helpless persons apt.?
I think if older people call up the local city hall they will have someone come around to help them out if needed. Not that they can be fully trusted but at least there will be a record of their home visit on file.
Getting a bit paranoid , maybe but not really.

Mrs Fluffy was saying the testing is not for DNA but for sure there might be some ulterior motive.  Maybe to prove Muslims, refugees and foreigners and the Soros family are  the reservoir for  the disease.

In any case, I don't see how Hungary is going to have the capability for testing. Larger countries can hardly do it so Hungary is hardly likely to have a chance of doing it in quick time.  There's no way it would give you the virus. It's not the Hungarian equivalent of smallpox blankets.

BTW, there's a scam going on in some countries where tricksters are trying to get access to people's places to sterilise and spray disinfectant.  I am sure the official advice is not to let anyone in!  I dunno what some people want to behave like that.  It's like leeching off of other people's vulnerabilities.

We're off to the MIL's late this afternoon.  I will do some minor outside work at a distance and Mrs Fluffy will deal with her Mum.  I wish it was warmer though.  Bit of exercise will soon warm us all up!

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

If you meant this in humor... Haha.. Good one.  :top:

My further comment is not relevant. :D

But... hard to tell if meant in humor. And these days, lacking an emoji in your post, I can not tell what you meant exactly. Consider using emojis....  To clarify intent and not annoy others....  :cool:

If not joking, then missing my point. With a silly reference post from a cynic.....

Ah well, good one but you've uncovered my clear duplicitous and nefarious purpose there...

I could indeed have used an emoji but where would the mystery and intrigue be in that!?  I guess the plot might be that one's audience should be  left with questions and discussion and wanting more.

Anyways, the story of Plotto is good.  Plotto was a bit of a maniacal work but the guy was a cheap book writer who turned out a novel a week so needed to automate his output. 

I rather like the idea of his analysis.  It's like chess is not a game worth playing because it's ultimately always solvable.  What would be the point if the outcome was always known? 

If anyone feel engaged enough one look into it a bit more, there was another guy who produced a plot robot after reading Plotto!  How cool is that?!   

It's like a form of Ouroboros and art eating itself. 

Maybe we're back to living in a simulation. Oh damn, mentioning that is reality eating itself again!

The hole is getting deeper. I should stop digging.

Weather outside is getting very nice.
Hope this "thing" goes away as soon as possible.
Got some more sad news today.
Our neighbor who was actually 89 years old passed this morning.
I awoke at 5 am today for some reason.
Went back to sleep after saying a few prayer, yes I am praying these days.
Seems our neighbor passed at 5 am this morning. Sort of creepy and sort of cool because she woke me up.
Had this happen in 86 when my father passed in Indiana and I was in Erd.
Too bad I do not know how to connect to this strange energy that tells me something isn't normal.
These days all my surviving friends the one in Hawaii are not sleeping well.
I understand how it goes, same thing with me.I usually sleep like a stone all night long but this past week or so it has been iffy.
Some sort of shift going on.
I am now cooking up a storm and it hit me to send a meal upstairs to our friend who just lost her mother.
I asked my husband to think it over for a few.
He said not to send anything because of this stupid virus. If she got an upset stomach over my food or anything we would feel terrible right now.
This BS is really putting a cramp in my style.The least I can do is send her girl a hot meal today and the next few days.
Her daughter told us over the past few days in the hospital she was not really allowed to even see her mother but she pushed herself into the room and told the resident doctor to shove it.
The women was being rude and said ,"your mother is 89, what do you expect" well that was game on, she went into the room and dared them to toss her out. Later they gave her a form to visit, suppose to only be good for 30 mins but she said F it and stayed as long as she could with her dying mother.
This is so inhumane it isn't funny.
So it seems she will be cremated and when this BS is over with if ever, we will have a funeral.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Weather outside is getting very nice.
Hope this "thing" goes away as soon as possible.
Got some more sad news today.
Our neighbor who was actually 89 years old passed this morning.
I awoke at 5 am today for some reason.
Went back to sleep after saying a few prayer, yes I am praying these days.
Seems our neighbor passed at 5 am this morning. Sort of creepy and sort of cool because she woke me up.
Had this happen in 86 when my father passed in Indiana and I was in Erd.
Too bad I do not know how to connect to this strange energy that tells me something isn't normal.
These days all my surviving friends the one in Hawaii are not sleeping well.
I understand how it goes, same thing with me.I usually sleep like a stone all night long but this past week or so it has been iffy.
Some sort of shift going on.
I am now cooking up a storm and it hit me to send a meal upstairs to our friend who just lost her mother.
So it seems she will be cremated and when this BS is over with if ever, we will have a funeral.

Sorry to hear at the passing of your neighbour.  If she was 89 then she was in the worse category for COVID19.  I looked at the models and the majority of fatal cases are around that age.

This COVID19 thing is now starting to impinge on life.  Personally I'm not allowed to meet anyone although I can wave at people from the garden.  This is beginning to look quite strange in the vulnerable category.  I have my work meetings via Skype but I've only got important stuff to do until the end of April maybe.   After that, I'm fizzled out.  Just have to wait to be called. 

Now I've enjoyed a break laying in bed and messing about I've started getting up early to get on with everything.  I'm beginning to looking at what I would call "secondary DIY" less urgent jobs or even "tertiary" jobs.  Some of these jobs have been around for 2-3 years!

Our builders have said they will be here on schedule but they think they cannot get all the materials delivered to finish the job.  They say they still have plenty of work to do but they are getting slowed down.  Lucky we're not in a particular hurry.

Strangely the vulnerable category and not going anywhere is  looking like it has potential to improve relations within the family - we've all got a bit more time for each other and less pressure with work things.

Our neighbor didn't have CV at all.
She had been sicky for ages with her weight, passing out for ever here and there with her BP.
The last couple of weeks she was falling alot.
Her last fall cracked her spine, that's the only reason her daughter brought her into the hospital.
Her daughter is a super and I mean super clean freak. so I am 100% positive( no a pun)  that not a germ or virus or bacteria molecule was involved in her passing, until she got to the hospital at least.
The really disturbing thing is her girl told my husband that when she busted into the room on the second day of her hospital stay her mother's entire face was black and blue and one of her eyes was so swollen that it was shit.
She was shocked and asked if they had beat her up or dropped her.
They said it was fluid but after being in a HU hospital myself, I can believe she was bounced around a bit.
Well RIp, she is alright now.
At least with this so called US bail out, my older sister who only cleaned homes 4 hours a week for a senior couple is going is now collecting $600. extra a week for losing her job plus the $1,200 we all should be getting soon plus her state unemployment. In her case she is better off then ever.
Too bad it took a nightmare to lighten her load.
My hairdresser friend in Vegas as already booked a trip to Europe for mid June.
I hope it doesn't backfire on her.
I am more then ready to purchase a little get away home here now. My husband is dragging his feet saying one can not be in 2 places at once but then again , sad to say he is a Hungarian and they can be so much of a downer if now happy.

comment moved from:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 44#4844403

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Have a friend in Vegas who already bought a ticket to come to Europe in mid June.
Hopeful thinking on her part.

It may take a year or more for a vaccine.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2 … us-vaccine

Till then, the virus may be a problem. And that is assuming it does not mutate and evolve to avoid any vaccine created a year from now.

In short.... it is complicated. Even if people want now a "magic pill", the political rhetoric will not produce one. That will take science and scientists. Not politicians. Not religion. Not ideology (cough.... nationalism.....).....

Welcome to Biology 101.... For all those that put down professional science and scientists on many topics over the years, and voted accordingly.... well.... one makes their own bed..... Just saying. hopefully everyone might learn from this, and behave differently in the future.... I hope.... I can but only hope..... ***

*** As in a pandemic was predicted by many scientists, and the earth is not flat, com trail conspiracy is BS, you need to get vaccinated, Global warming is real, etc, etc. etc.

klsallee wrote:

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Have a friend in Vegas who already bought a ticket to come to Europe in mid June.
Hopeful thinking on her part.

It may take a year or more for a vaccine.

I agree.  We're looking at 2 years to get to massive vaccinations.  So end of 2021 approximately.  They need to get that antibody test working.  Then, those that are immune can get back to doing stuff.   I can see some social unrest increasing across the world as people get more desperate.

DT is such a nitwit with limited mental capacity.  Looks like he hasn't so far thought it's a bit odd there are mass graves being used in NYC.   He also said US pharma companies with offices in London could help Boris get over COVID19.   As if the UK doesn't have it's own expertise. Yeah Donny, that'll help, thanks for that.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Now is a great time to cull the herd, useless people who are no longer of value to the gov. Those who are collecting pensions , welfare or on any sort of public assistance.

Are you not on Social Security payments now....? a pension....?

Are you saying you will take a bullet today? Gladly? After all, what is your value to government?

Well wait... maybe first read "Oration on the Dignity of Man" before condemning yourself to death. Seriously... you made an extraordinary silly comment. Seriously. Mega stupid.

That is, you, and others, in you age group, may have a lot to contribute to society, simply from experience -- no matter even if you are on a pension, and even if not useful to the 'current" "gov" (who would maybe love to see you die off so they can divert your pension payments to their oligarch buddies). Indeed, maybe your ideas are a threat to the current government, even if your ideas may help millions of people... Such is the struggle of people versus governments through history.

And what is the current government, but collection of misinformed, and the truly useless, politicians and ideologues only trying to keep some over paid job and political contacts every 2 to 4 years, so they can funnel money to their interest groups (and to themselves).

That is, is not the current government more the real parasites than pensioners? Who exactly should be culled then? Think about that.....

In short,, you and other pensioners et al., may be far, far more useful to society DESPITE.... than the government itself....

For example... When are you going to write your autobiography??????  :D