Absolutely Anything Else

fluffy2560 wrote:

Bet he loves it down in the vineyard and following you about!  Ideal life for a dog really.

Actually, he loves walks the forest, and today insisted on a walk to the village.

All new smells and places to mark.

Then he took a wade in the local stream. So I had wet dog smell for a few hours afterwords..... But I love him. So it is all good.

klsallee wrote:

..... So I had wet dog smell for a few hours afterwords..... But I love him. So it is all good.

"I love the smell of wet dog in the morning"....or was it napalm....It sounds pretty good for a dog's life out there in the sticks.

In other more pressing news, I'm concerned North Korea will combine technologies - a new type of weaponwith the latest zombie pig research.  It could lead to bacon that fries itself.  What next? Self-toasting bread?

I could go for bacon sandwiches by drone.

From.....Unionised symbiotic chickens and Ben Franklin....

Came over here as we were  wildly off topic, unionised chickens included.

Hmmm....when I was writing that I was thinking onionised chicken and now I'm hungry.  Chicken chasseur anyone? 

Chickens, dogs, cats and even unwelcome mice are living in symbiosis with us.  We benefit as do they.  I cannot say the same of bed bugs, fleas or ticks or even pigeons.  What do we receive from them?

But I found the Ben Franklin article extremely interesting.  Thanks for that.

The whole swarthy thing is a historical and social peculiarity.  Working outside tends to make white folks more swarthy which meant historically all those with a tan were lower (social) level farm workers. And those inside were not hard labour workers and therefore pasty faced (cf. lead based white makeup - another subject).   Yet now, we have tanning salons to make people more swarthy looking and therefore seen to be more "healthy" by increasing their chances of skin cancer.   People are weird.

My own time in the tropics is still intermittently ongoing. I always keep covered up and wear a hat.  Even swimming in Balaton I use a UV protection shirt.  I used to go around without protection but I was told by a doctor I had skin damage from over exposure and couple of my direct and close relatives have a touch of skin cancer from years in the Pacific.  Message from the medics was - basically don't do it.

Can relate to having too much sun exposure over my lifetime.
Had a tiny piece cut out of my thigh, my arm and the tip on my nose once had to be las.ered because of "pre" cancer spots .
We used to "oil up" with baby oil in the 1960's and lay under the summer sun all day long in S. Ca.
Went through a "dark period" as a teenager and refused to get a tan for several years, "pre goth" look.
Now we just take it easy in the sun, sit in the shade , wear straw hats and use an umbrella even on semi- overcast days at the lake.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Now we just take it easy in the sun, sit in the shade , wear straw hats and use an umbrella even on semi- overcast days at the lake.

Too right. Keep out of the way of sun.  It'll get you every time.

In fact I am sure it's following me around.  I woke up this morning and there it was again. 

And don't talk to me about the moon.  Seems to turn up once in a while.

...continued from elsewhere....Bongs and Hooklah....

I think cannabis should be legalised for medicinal use in HU.   

I think this is the way it's going all over so there's a lot of wasted resources punishing those using it recreationally and a lot of people collecting money from illegal trade.

That said I'd rather my kids didn't imbibe....Just say No etc.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I think cannabis should be legalised for medicinal use in HU.  .

Phfft... Why just for medical use? Just legalize it. Outright. For all use. Pálinka is worse for human health than a joint, and still (pun intended) the government legalized Pálinka personal distilleries and consumption, but still (pun intended) to continue to demonize a dried plant.... And drying a plant is more "green" than distilling. Oh... So many things weird with the "right" political world.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Phfft... Why just for medical use? Just legalize it. Outright. For all use. Pálinka is worse for human health than a joint, and still (pun intended) the government legalized Pálinka personal distilleries and consumption, but still (pun intended) to continue to demonize a dried plant.... And drying a plant is more "green" than distilling. Oh... So many things weird with the "right" political world.

Ok, I take it back, yes just legalise it.   I do have some sympathy with the notion it might be a gateway drug on to other stuff.  I'll come clean here and in my youth I did try it but I wasn't that impressed. 

They say that pot is good for joints (pun intended), i.e. arthritis and similar muscle ailments or even Parkinsons (my BIL uses the oil for that but it's legal where he is). 

I do agree on the HU booze thing, that personal distilling, aye caramba, what goes on out in the sticks is bordering on physically dangerous uncontrolled moonshine.  That could easily make you blind unlike a little 'ol roll in the hay.   

I quite like the idea of owning a cannabis farm for "medical use".   Wouldn't use it myself but others might find it useful.  Simply spliffing idea.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Ok, I take it back, yes just legalise it.   I do have some sympathy with the notion it might be a gateway drug on to other stuff.  I'll come clean here and in my youth I did try it but I wasn't that impressed. 

They say that pot is good for joints (pun intended), i.e. arthritis and similar muscle ailments or even Parkinsons (my BIL uses the oil for that but it's legal where he is). 

I do agree on the HU booze thing, that personal distilling, aye caramba, what goes on out in the sticks is bordering on physically dangerous uncontrolled moonshine.  That could easily make you blind unlike a little 'ol roll in the hay.   

I quite like the idea of owning a cannabis farm for "medical use".   Wouldn't use it myself but others might find it useful.  Simply spliffing idea.

Many people may think that being a grower is easy breezy business.
Far from it, even if it is now legal in many US states to use to grow is still regulated.
My friend in Hawaii said people are allowed a certain limit on plants for personal use but you need to pay some sort of tax or some fee for each plant, like $250. per year.
They tag each plant and pop over to have a look/see at random to make sure every plant is tagged.
To grow out in the wild is dangerous, people roam around ready to rip off crops before harvest time and people defend their crops with dogs and guns.
Many tales of those who happened to take a hike in the wrong section of a forest, never to be seen again.
My old boss in HI was well known, had lived on the Island for over 25 years, had tons of friends.
Nice old ex-fashion model/Hippie earth mama type.
I got hired at her salon when she was off to Bali for 6 weeks with her younger boyfriend. she was pushing 60 at that time.
She was able to start her own beauty salon with funds she got by growing grass! I liked her because she was so up front and honest.
One tale she told was about a friend of hers who just went missing.
He didn't mention to anyone that he was going away.
A local HI guy was seen around the Island driving her missing friend's car and wearing his clothing.Hmm...
They went to the police but to no avail.
Every weekend for many months groups of people went all over the Island looking for the guys bones.
In the end they were found off a cliff.
He probably stumbled into something larger then he could handle.
One time we were looking for the hot sring lava thing near Puna, well known area to have many growers living there.
We got lost and found ourselves in a tiny sort of village in nowhere land.
Everyone got out of thier homes to look at us, it was more then creepy. We made a quick U turn and got outta there ASAP.
Another time  we woke up to a SWAT team all wearing black coming down from a helicopter on ropes near the house we leased.
There was a large forest area on one side of the property.
I can only guess what they were looking for.
People are ready to rob steal and lie to make easy money, very dangerous as many of these types are desperate to make money any way they can and no one will get in their way.
One reason I left Hilo after our lease was up, either everyone was a trust fund baby or a crimmie.
If you wanted to just work hard you were in the wrong place.
My friend who just had her entire spine redone was eating those gummy bear "treats" to keep her pain at bay but they were not enough to kill the pain overall.
My wheelchair ex-friend was always higher then a kite and her personality got mean, just like the "greeny Meanies " she ate!
I've known a lot of pot heads and they really are lazy, no question about it.
I was going to open a beauty salon in HI with a half HI lady I worked with but she smoked far too much and I knew it just wasn't going to work out with her.
I'm a bit hyper and didn't realize for the longest time that my boos and 2 co-workers in HI were high everyday all the time. They laughed at me in a sweet way when I suddenly figured it out. No one offered me any smokes...Guess I was funny on my own without it? Perhaps that's why I go on with them all so well, I'm naturally stoned or something?
Knew/know many Hungarains living in HI and believe me, not exactly the cream of the crop people, they steal from each other all the time, Many were arrested several times but they still went to the dark side. Not a lot of good jobs over there and everyone wants to get rich quick, some get dead and a few made money but mostly people just survived. Nice weather tends to make people too lazy to work too, it's a fact.
Many days I was almost in tears driving the 90 mins each way to work on a beautiful sunny day. Had to give myself the talk to get to work and not call in sick.
Everyone in HI smokes, we once went to a young couples home and the guys granny was smoking a joint! If you can't beat them then join them? No, not for me either.

I think with all the environmental interest at the moment and the loss of so many species, I thought I'd share this message from the Kimmel (show?):

Save Homo Sapiens?

(BTW, we've never heard of Kimmel over here  but it sounds like he's doing the right thing bringing it to the attention of the public).

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Many people may think that being a grower is easy breezy business.
Far from it, even if it is now legal in many US states to use to grow is still regulated.
My friend in Hawaii said people are allowed a certain limit on plants for personal use but you need to pay some sort of tax or some fee for each plant, like $250. per year.
They tag each plant and pop over to have a look/see at random to make sure every plant is tagged.
Everyone in HI smokes, we once went to a young couples home and the guys granny was smoking a joint! If you can't beat them then join them? No, not for me either.

I did look into growing here and as far as I can tell, it's illegal.  I think that'll have to change. If the Govt thinks it can make a quick buck off it, it won't be able to resist. 

I used to live in The Netherlands and while it was still illegal there, it was tolerated by the cops.  We used to get all these German dudes coming over to buy the stuff and drive back.  I got my car searched (in the days before Schengen) by the German police.  I must have looked spaced out but really I was just really tired and bored and of course, back then I didn't understand them so I just tuned out.

Rant on.....Actually I recently got my bags searched by Canadian Customs because I didn't know what day it was - I'd been travelling for ages, probably had a bit too much wine on the plane and I've started to have a few small memory problems here and there over the past few years (I've had to start writing things down in lists).  Not used to being asked questions by random people. US CBP are also a bunch of time wasters asking repeatedly the same questions at random points  - obviously a tactic to see if you are consistent.  And I really object to that fingerprinting nonsense. Hey guys I'm in transit, I don't want to be here anyway and I'm trying to leave.      I'd blame Trump (for everything).  Rant off.

But I digress....

$250 is outrageous for a pot plant in Hawaii.  I would have thought you could have 100 plants out in the forest and one plant in your house with a tag on it. Or just don't bother.  Wild growing - people do that even in the UK.  I expect the law is so ignored in those kinds of places, it might as well not exist.  As for that tension between State and Feds/DEA etc, what a silly situation.   

If I was 35 years younger I'd probably would have a couple of puffs on a spliff but I'd probably get more satisfaction these days out of a cup of Assam tea, my feet resting and warming on the dog and watching Game of Thrones.

Loads of people have plants growing in the forest in HI but if you don't sleep on site someone will pull out your plants just before harvest time.
Happens to everyone who relies on land that isn't theirs.
I could go on and on about the HU system over there, some went to the pokey and a few were deported and a few actually cashed out.
Bunch of wild men who I personally couldn't tolerate to be around.
I bet people here in Hu also do a bit of "personal gardening" in the forests here in HU.
Not worth it though, if caught it is jail time and not a white collar prison either.
I know airports security are so rude.
In Vegas my husband and I decided since we had extra time to get a body search instead of going through the machine.
Tried to set an example for other with our little protest.
I swear everyone just let themselves get rads rather then wait for a body search.
In London my husband got pissed with me because I gave up waiting for my body search and just went through the machine, I copped out.
They set it up for you to give up by forcing you to stand in a corner and wait over 30 mins for someone to show up to search you, mean while all your carry on goods are on the other side of the screen and who knows what is being rifled through.
We had some cash with us and we couldn't see our carry on so I got panicked and just went through the rad machine.
Was mad at myself later but couldn't take a chance some thief wouldn't touch our money.
I also was pulled over in Vegas to get a photo for true ID or something, guess I was whacked out tired and was acting weird, I couldn't find my passport fast so I just sat on the tarmack and dug through my bag. Looked far too relaxed I guess.
I had no cookies coming into Vegas so suppose I was just exhausted, wine doesn't do it on a long haul for me, makes me drained out.
I admit I had a few" Cookies" to help me relax on board, were legal in Vegas so whatever...Only time I'm interested in cookies is if I have to fly long haul, makes the time more interesting and helps one to sleep on the flight.
It might of been dumb for me to opt for a body search considering I ate my cookies... I just really didn't care what happened though, didn't even think I was doing anything to get attention.
Nice to get old, no one thinks anything about you... Laughes on them!
I wonder though why they needed to take my photo at passport control? I mean I'm getting a bit old to be on anyone's radar...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Not worth it though, if caught it is jail time and not a white collar prison either.
I know airports security are so rude.
In Vegas my husband and I decided since we had extra time to get a body search instead of going through the machine......
Tried to set an example for other with our little protest.
I swear everyone just let themselves get rads rather then wait for a body search.
In London my husband got pissed with me because I gave up waiting for my body search and just went through the machine, I copped out.
It might of been dumb for me to opt for a body search considering I ate my cookies... I just really didn't care what happened though, didn't even think I was doing anything to get attention.
Nice to get old, no one thinks anything about you... Laughs on them!
I wonder though why they needed to take my photo at passport control? I mean I'm getting a bit old to be on anyone's radar...

I was asked at one security check how old I was.  Odd question?  Apparently if you're over something like 75, you don't need to take your shoes off to have them scanned, i.e. no bending  I was surprised.  There's no way I look over 75 and if I did, I'd be going for plastic surgery the same day to put that right straight away.   

I've got other issues as well -  I look like a bedraggled hippy and the chip in my passport doesn't work. It means I'm already marked as visually and electronically at least undesirable or bad influence.   I have no issues in Europe or anywhere else as they don't care mostly and I'm so unappealing as a target.

Only the USA and Canada do they want to mess around - jeez, they so annoy me.  It's a perfect storm for me, laid back with a strong sense of entitlement, showing a lack of interest in McJob authority, no respect for most civil servants/political types and a strong aversion to timewasting behaviour. 

In fact, possibly I've graduated to grumpy older person now.  I should go in that priority queue.

Growing a few plants in many countries in Europe is a slap on the wrist and not even that, it's a finger  wagging if you're older and it's just a couple of plants.  If it's a major production place, with the lights and the air filtration, then it's likely to be jail time as that's being a dealer.   They find out who you are by helicopters flying overhead with thermal cameras and analysing unusual electricity bills.

Those machines ain't going to irradiate you any more than what you get from a light bulb.  Some of them are not even  X-ray machines. I'm afraid airport security is really mostly security theatre.  A determined  bad 'un/n'er do well will always find a way in to do their evil deeds.

I've always loved to buck the system so we opted for body scans.
I was a bit put off seeing everyone just go through the machines without even asking about what it was they were getting.
I have heard a lot of negative reviews about walking through those things.
I've also decided to skip mammograms and my "free" yearly chest X-ray.
Once at the airport, guess 15 years ago my son was in one line and I in the other waiting for security checks.
We both wore black jeans and black leather jackets,We both were pulled from line and given a body check.
Guess we looked, "dangerous". Could of been that we were "gingers" so they were afraid of red hair.
I've crossed the HU boarder in and out 4 times in old commie days, what a weird experience. I felt a bit entitled too with my US passport b ut my husband didn't have one the first visit over and it was a bit scary to think that maybe they would double cross him and not let him out again.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I've always loved to buck the system so we opted for body scans.
I was a bit put off seeing everyone just go through the machines without even asking about what it was they were getting.
I have heard a lot of negative reviews about walking through those things.
I've also decided to skip mammograms and my "free" yearly chest X-ray.
Once at the airport, guess 15 years ago my son was in one line and I in the other waiting for security checks.
We both wore black jeans and black leather jackets,We both were pulled from line and given a body check.
Guess we looked, "dangerous". Could of been that we were "gingers" so they were afraid of red hair.
I've crossed the HU boarder in and out 4 times in old commie days, what a weird experience. I felt a bit entitled too with my US passport b ut my husband didn't have one the first visit over and it was a bit scary to think that maybe they would double cross him and not let him out again.

I used to go through the old T1 border controls.  Pretty bad back then but I never experienced the commie border except when I drove to Berlin in about 1988.  This was on the transit route.  It was pretty intimidating what with those patriotic reds standing at attention next to the hammer and sickle and brandishing AK47s.  Pathetic really to think the East had any chance against the sophistication of the West. All smoke and mirrors and all for nothing in the end.  Waste of time, life and money for political nonsense. 

It'll be the same in Iran or Venezuela.  Under true military threat, their regimes will collapse in very short time - days or months never mind years.  That being said, Iran is a lot closer to here than Venezuela than one would like.  I was musing today on why Trump didn't send an aircraft carrier to Venezuela.  I thought possibly he'll support the Saudis acting as proxies to attack Iran. 

You shouldn't skip on your health monitoring needs.  The amount of radiation is tiny, you get more if you fly a lot like I do.  I am at the airport sometimes 2-3 times a month both long and short haul and up there in the clouds, one is far more exposed.  Next week I'll be on the plane 4 times in 2 weeks but luckily only short haul.   

People put all sorts of stories on the Internet about how dangerous this or that is and most of it is ridiculously untrue - like Hillary had a child abuse ring under a pizzeria in NYC.  Utter insanity.  Or like anti-vaccine people.  It's been known for many years that it works and is very effective at saving people's lives.  Anyone saying it doesn't work is a dangerous loon and I'd say public health  sure beats free speech concerns.

Hm.

I flew in and out of LAX lat month.  Direct flight from Vienna. On Austria Airlines.

No body scanners at VIE or LAX.

Check in at VIE was all automatic using a small terminal that scanned my passport and issued my boarding card. At LAX, Immigration was easy (also all automated now with a machine which, scanned my passport and gave me a printout). And only one Immigration person stamping the printout from the immigration system that scanned my passport. Was actually faster than when I got back in Vienna on my return -- still humans reading and checking the passport.

And at LAX, since I was e-ticketed, I just passed my tablet over the scanner and I was in (no need to wait in line for a paper boarding pass)

I guess dealing with immigration in the UK or elsewhere is what one gets for a cheap ticket.... Oh... no wait... my ticket was only about $350 from Vienna. Round trip. And, as said above --- non-stop. :)

One reason I almost never fly long haul out of BUD. So many better options from VIE.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hm.... It is your body. Not his. Your dear, loving hubby needs to take a pill. And reduce his controlling behavior pattern... Just saying....  :D

klsallee wrote:

Check in at VIE was all automatic using a small terminal that scanned my passport and issued my boarding card. At LAX, Immigration was easy (also all automated now with a machine which, scanned my passport and gave me a printout). And only one Immigration person stamping the printout from the immigration system that scanned my passport. ....

I guess dealing with immigration in the UK or elsewhere is what one gets for a cheap ticket.... Oh... no wait... my ticket was only about $350 from Vienna. Round trip. And, as said above --- non-stop. :)

One reason I almost never fly long haul out of BUD. So many better options from VIE.

It's true, it's  bit hopeless out of BUD. I think it's because VIE is the historical last city before the evil East plus of course, UN City on their fancy island there.

From BUD it's easy to go East but much harder to go West.  But I usually prefer going East.   It's impossible to get on Air Canada Rouge to the West and there are really three options to the East - Emirates (via Dubai), Qatar Airways (Doha) and Aeroflot (Moscow).   It is possible to go West on some other airlines like Lufthansa but zero sensible flights direct.

I had a sudden desire to go to Gran Canaria when the kids break up for the summer holidays.  This was a day or so ago and I tried to see my options from BUD and the only option is Ryanair.  Wizzair want to force me to go to Tenerife (been there, done that twice).

I tried VIE and BTS even looked at Graz and Linz or Zagreb and it was just becoming useless as it was so expensive.  I toyed with the idea of MUn(iCh) but it wasn't working out on price.  So I gave up rather than travel on Ryanair and decided to look elsewhere. 

My spontaneous idea was doomed to failure.

In my last foray into the paranoid USA, my auto scanning attempt returned my bit of paper with a big cross on it (that's because the chip in my passport doesn't work, meh, so what not actually required) and therefore I needed manual inspection.  I wasn't the only one. There was a family with little kids - maybe from Spain - in front of me and they were also  given the McJob CBP interrogation by the most miserable person I'd seen in a long time.

UK's rationalisation and I guess the USA-major (the USA) and USA-minor (Canada, eh?) too is that there's a terrorist threat possible and immigration is a front line service intended to protect those poor incapable and weak citizens from evil disruptive influences like foreign food, culture with art and literature, unusual clothing, free living and funny accents/languages.

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hm.... It is your body. Not his. Your dear, loving hubby needs to take a pill. And reduce his controlling behavior pattern... Just saying....  :D

Typical HU husband I think... All good.
I forced him to go through the rad machine with me, that's my bad.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Typical HU husband I think... All good.
I forced him to go through the rad machine with me, that's my bad.

Better check you aren't both glowing in the dark. 

If you get bitten by a spider thereafter, then who knows what might happen.

You could both end up crime busting in Budapest wearing lycra costumes.

Can't think of the title of the Camp movie from the 1950's or 1960's "The 50 Foot Women"I think?
All those mindless hours on Sat. afternoon watching the ,"Million Dollar Movie" Guess a million bucks back then was really a "blockbuster" film.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Can't think of the title of the Camp movie from the 1950's or 1960's "The 50 Foot Women"I think?
All those mindless hours on Sat. afternoon watching the ,"Million Dollar Movie" Guess a million bucks back then was really a "blockbuster" film.

Yes, there was a movie - "Attack of the 50-ft Woman".  Made in 1958.  Not as classy as "The Blob" or "Day of the Triffids".  Liked the Triffids as it was a British but with Howard Keel as the leading man and no singing.  Before his days cavorting with Miss Ellie.

I wouldn't say it's mindless as it forms part of one's education.   Those Saturday afternoon pictures fostered a love of cinema and art in me. 

These days, Bruce Willis wouldn't get out of bed for less than probably $5M. He might license his image for a $1M for say, a year.  Presumably that's what he's doing for that fizzy drink he advertises around here.  Never tried the drink and haven't seen him in a decent movie for years.

From....continuing.....Religion = Social Media

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Stupidity = Religion = Intolerance = Social Media

How much social commentary, or hidden results, can one extract from this?

Stupidity = Religion = Intolerance = Social Media

Religion = Social Media

Hm.  Millennials?   :unsure

Yes, that's an interesting take but I think it works as well.   Social Media could be a belief system in itself.  I've never looked into it but I wonder if established religions have presence on FB.  Be rather silly to believe they don't!

Millennials must think differently -  Social Media means everyone is a publisher and even how to be famous has changed.  Ever heard of James Charles?  No, me neither!  But an Internet phenomena with gadzillions of followers of style and fashion. 

I know about James Charles from my kids and some news reports.  James Charles is famous for being famous.   Perhaps for us "older" folks (i.e. > 25 !!!)  it's just "Meh"....

James Charles is going to get older and then what happens?  He needs to develop his presence in other channels - movies, music, mainstream TV appearances and so on.  I am sure he's well aware.

I could really push this...James Charles....JC ....Jesus Christ....arrghhh....

Woefully off topic in the other thread!!!

fluffy2560 wrote:

James Charles is going to get older and then what happens?

Don't know.

Maybe he simply will show people how to apply even more makeup to hide age.

Or become the POTUS....

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Don't know.

Or become the POTUS....

POTUS ...carrot juice and dyed hair.....

JC....famous for 10 minutes....after that, who cares!

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Don't know.

Or become the POTUS....

Speaking of "Carrot Top" I used to get my hair done in Vegas by a nice lady who cuts his hair.
He still has a show on the Vegas strip...
I'm laughing to myself while looking at homes for sale on FB marketplace Hungary.
Who on earth would,"stage" their home for sale by accenting the mop and pail  near the WC with the extra roll of TP on top of the toilet tank?
Don't even want to know what issues would require a mop and pail next to the toilet, let alone what all the extra TP is for!
People take photos with every scrap of junk they own in the photos.
No. One rule of staging your property, clean it the heck up first!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

[
I'm laughing to myself while looking at homes for sale on FB marketplace Hungary.
Who on earth would,"stage" their home for sale by accenting the mop and pail  near the WC with the extra roll of TP on top of the toilet tank?
Don't even want to know what issues would require a mop and pail next to the toilet, let alone what all the extra TP is for!

Oh... Tell me about it.

I am not really in the real estate market at this time, but do keep my eye on things still. One never knows when I may see something worth looking into more. (But most things around here are currently over priced).

And, I admit, I sometimes go to sites like https://ingatlan.com just out of pure humor. Saw one today with photos of the kitchen with dirty dishes all over the place. LOL!!! Seriously, what is up with that? Complete lack of basic salesmanship, or showmanship.... But... surprising how many people probably and actually don't care about such things. I guess I am just in a different class.  :cool:

From another topic:

Ruin Bars -- Are they still around? I mean the real ones (illegal, transitory and somewhat seedy)? Or are the current ones just gentrified, decorated versions of the original idea?

klsallee wrote:

From another topic:

Ruin Bars -- Are they still around? I mean the real ones (illegal, transitory and somewhat seedy)? Or are the current ones just gentrified, decorated versions of the original idea?

Not illegal ones, these are legit ones dressed for the atmosphere.   

I'm not into that but I've seen them while I've been walking about and the tourists seem to like them.

They've become something of a thing on their own.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Don't know.

Or become the POTUS....

Speaking of "Carrot Top" I used to get my hair done in Vegas by a nice lady who cuts his hair.
He still has a show on the Vegas strip...

Carrot Top - I happen to know who that is but I had to think a bit as I was thinking Trump  - an inverse Carrot Top.  Never seen CT do anything - never made it to this side of the pond and few would know him. 

Hungarian house marketing is ridiculous.   We've seen pictures of people in the house watching TV, their shopping on the table,  piles of rubbish etc.  Dogs scratching themselves. We also sometimes have a cruise through on the real estate agent web sites and amuse ourselves laughing at the odd nature of it all.  Strangely enough (or not), in many of these country places the gardens or land is very neatly trimmed and presented.   Priorities!

Some people used to think inside toilets or even washing were unhygienic practices and if you had multiple bathrooms, well, you were just insane.  I always remember being told about Versailles near Paris. Fantastic palace but they didn't build any bathrooms (bit like Ferihegy Airport!).   They would just mess/stink up one room and move on to one of the 100s of others.  Bonkers.

Real estate searching in crazy.
In the mid 80's in S.Ca. when we were looking for a house we had a few criteria that we needed.
A good hood,built in swimming pool with yard, in the SF valley and neat and clean looking for sure.
The agent took us one fine Sat. late morning around 11 am to see a property.
The house from the st. was alright, not bad, not great but dang the back yard was Perfect. The grass was neat, no bald spots beautiful clean swimming pool, water was sparkly and pure.
Went inside, sort of a odd 70's look but not horrible, the agent opened up the master bedroom doors and the couple was still in bed under the covers!
They invited us into the room but I refused their offer, was way too weird for me.
I mean they weren't exactly John and Yoko...
Needless to say we didn't buy that house.
Saw a few nice homes but in the end we found our home ourselves through a newspaper add, just like we did here in Hungary, found it ourselves.
Carrot Top, I've really never been a fan of his, not very funny to me. needs that gimmick of that insane hairstyle to get attention.
My BFF gets more laughs with just her bottle of Budweiser beer in her hand.Has a female sort of way of speaking a bit like George Carlin. Smart and dry humor.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Went inside, sort of a odd 70's look but not horrible, the agent opened up the master bedroom doors and the couple was still in bed under the covers!
They invited us into the room but I refused their offer, was way too weird for me.
I mean they weren't exactly John and Yoko...
Needless to say we didn't buy that house.....

Haha, that's great.   

You know they say put fresh flowers on the table, put the coffee on to make an enticing aroma but showing how comfy the bed is just about takes the biscuit.  Maybe next is illustrating the power shower!  Mega weird is being invited to try it!

We got our house  from the real estate agent who knew it was available. It hadn't been advertised as far as we knew but had been empty for a few years.  We did know the former owner had died.  I think we paid over the odds for it but it's appreciated in value more than the premium we paid.  We paid to be near the bus stop, schools and shops.   We also thought it would be close to the final section of the M0.  But it's got the blue buses (now we have two - 188 to Kelenfold Metro 4 - 40 mins ride -  and 222 to Moscow Square - 25 minutes). 

It was a bit creepy to hear that the former owner - Horvath Ur - had died in the house and was found dead there by someone.  I am not sure how creepy it was but I suppose if you go to any older house, someone is bound to have expired there and people don't really get overly concerned.   

We haven't told the kids though! Might find it too much weird!

We often say that if something strange has happened - like we've lost something and we cannot find it - it must be Horvath moving stuff around.

Creepy sort of to know someone passed in the house.
My step-dad wanted to move on at home but last min. my mom called the amublance to pass on in hospital, was only in there for less then 2 hours before he passed away.
My little bro and sis were only 10 and 12 years old and my mom thought it wouldn't be so cool after all to have him die at home while they still had to live in the home.
In the 12 years since we have lived in this flat 5 people that I know of have died in the house. 2 took their own lives.
One was a 60 years old widow who drank herself to death, ( now her flat is a B&B) and the other was a doctor who dipped into his meds too much and OD.
Many doctors do dip into their own "stash". My deceased sister knew a dentist who also made side money by selling medical grain cocaine! You can guess why she knew that!
Totally a L.A. 1980's thing.
I often wonder who lived in the flat we own, my next door neighbor who is 74 was born in this house.
She told us who lived here in the past 74 years but before that, who knows...
Best to not let your kids know about Mr. Horvath, no need for nightmares.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Creepy sort of to know someone passed in the house.
....and the other was a doctor who dipped into his meds too much and OD.
Many doctors do dip into their own "stash". My deceased sister knew a dentist who also made side money by selling medical grain cocaine! You can guess why she knew that!
Totally a L.A. 1980's thing.
I often wonder who lived in the flat we own, my next door neighbor who is 74 was born in this house.
She told us who lived here in the past 74 years but before that, who knows...
Best to not let your kids know about Mr. Horvath, no need for nightmares.

Interesting you say that. Mrs Fluffy has a doctor relative who had a son who was also a medic.  He accidentally fatally OD'd on his own stash too.   His thing was nitrous oxide.   That's laughing gas to you and me.  He ain't laughing now.

It's also got a load of other uses including rocket fuel and booster in souped up cars.  Not really illegal to possess as it has legit uses that doesn't make it less fatal.

I couldn't imagine living in the same house for 74 years but I know people do that!  I would think it'd get  a bit old and boring not to have a change. 

As far as Horvath goes  I'm not sure how creepy it really is. If I think it's a bit unsettling, I think back to the old saying, "Don't fear the dead, fear the living".   Or if you are into zombies - Fear the Walking Dead (starts again 2nd June 2019!!!)

I wouldn't be afraid of Mr. Horvath either, he is long gone.
Any so called, "ghost" is not real.
74 years but they are moving next month out into the boonies, bought a house, made a profit on their flat so they also plan on buying their daughter a apt. in Budapest.
Poor old lady though... Too many memories to make a big change now.
The guy about coughes up a lung every morning from smoking, I'm thinking he will move his family out to no where land and then kick it, leaving them out their alone.
Not my business though.
Went to that free music event yesterday afternoon.
Was really nice outside except for whatever gave me an allergy attack.
Too much fresh air for me...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I wouldn't be afraid of Mr. Horvath either, he is long gone.
Any so called, "ghost" is not real.
74 years but they are moving next month out into the boonies, bought a house, made a profit on their flat so they also plan on buying their daughter a apt. in Budapest.
Poor old lady though... Too many memories to make a big change now.
The guy about coughes up a lung every morning from smoking, I'm thinking he will move his family out to no where land and then kick it, leaving them out their alone.
Not my business though.
Went to that free music event yesterday afternoon.
Was really nice outside except for whatever gave me an allergy attack.
Too much fresh air for me...

Jeez, tell me about it!  I came back on the plane very very late yesterday from LGW (London Gatwick) with my very very old Dad (he's 95) and as soon as the sun came up here, I was already sneezing and reaching for the Claritin (aka Clarityn aka Loratadin).   My nose is on fire, my throat hurting and so on.

As for Horvath, it's a bit meh.  I mean if you walk anywhere, someone is going to have died within 20ft of any spot probably.  What with 10s of 1000s of years,  it's unlikely to be free of human remains.   

Moving out the boonies eh?  Great but as you say,  being stuck out there, not cool.  I think probably the best option is living in the burbs but having a nice country fully modernised villa next to the Balaton would be a comfy way to rough it in the summer.   

I say summer because, yes, it looks  like it has finally arrived!  However, Tuesday is forecast for rain and quite a bit of it!

I think as it's sunny a quick trip down to Balaton is in order.

Can't wait for the waters to get warm enough to swim in.
Too late for us to buy a Balaton vacation home, getting too old to invest now in something that pricey, maybe a shack with a pool in the back is about it now days.
Wish my in-laws had bought in the day near Balaton. They bought 3 lots of land but in Erd. Balaton was cheap as what they bought in the day but they didn't swim so they just didn't think of buying near the lake.

Enjoy your holiday time with your father.
That's sweet to go and pick him up and bring him over, sorry your mom missed this trip over.
95, I was thinking my dad would be 99 now! Mom would of been 97!
Not sure what was in the air on Saturday but those white pollen "fluffy" things were floating in the air, not sure what bush or tree those come off of but they should stop planting them.
My mom swore she saw the ghost of a native American in our back yard one night.
Later we heard many homes were built over the old burial grounds...
I don't believe in ghosts, only demons.
Same thing maybe?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Can't wait for the waters to get warm enough to swim in.
Too late for us to buy a Balaton vacation home, getting too old to invest now in something that pricey, maybe a shack with a pool in the back is about it now days.
Wish my in-laws had bought in the day near Balaton. They bought 3 lots of land but in Erd. Balaton was cheap as what they bought in the day but they didn't swim so they just didn't think of buying near the lake.

Enjoy your holiday time with your father.
That's sweet to go and pick him up and bring him over, sorry your mom missed this trip over.
95, I was thinking my dad would be 99 now! Mom would of been 97!
Not sure what was in the air on Saturday but those white pollen "fluffy" things were floating in the air, not sure what bush or tree those come off of but they should stop planting them.
My mom swore she saw the ghost of a native American in our back yard one night.
Later we heard many homes were built over the old burial grounds...
I don't believe in ghosts, only demons.
Same thing maybe?

Yes, I know what you mean. I don't know if I would take on another building project. I am not really getting on with this one, never mind another one down at the lake.   Mrs Fluffy's family house down there is so decrepit I think I'd rather knock it down and build it new again so we'd just get it done by building contractors.  Not worth renovating.   But getting builders is impossible. We're still searching for builders just to do our fences - needs digging machines etc.   

But we did get to Balaton and we had lunch and wander around Tihany.

We sat next to a guy on the plane who said his aunt in SA (South Africa) was 98.  Pretty good.  But poor old Mum (US: Mom) is no longer with us - I don't think she could have coped with the journey in the last 3 years of her life. It was very tiring even for me never mind my Dad.  My Mum wouldn't have been able to do it and would have needed a minder. I had to  be my Dad's minder.  Budapest airport is not really set up for people who need Special Assistance.  All the equipment is old and the helpers aren't really that interested.

Ghosts in the garden and if maybe in the pool it'd be like the movie Poltergeist.

fluffy2560 wrote:

We're still searching for builders just to do our fences - needs digging machines etc.

Excavator? For tear down of existing fence?

What kind of fence are you wishing to put up?

I ask, as for tear down it is very helpful to have an excavator to remove old fence post concrete piles (almost needed unless you have a lot of time and a strong back). But not really needed to put up new fence posts; only makes less back work. A soil auger will do the trick. There are one person and two person power augers, rentable in most normal places, but I have not been able to rent one in Hungary -- so I bought a manual auger. A good one -- made in Germany -- not made in China like the ones they offer here. Put in many post with that auger.

When visiting the USA last month, I went to Home Depot on a few occasions and remember how much I love that place. Because sitting outside are excavators on flatbeds to rent. Just drive up, hook up and go home and enjoy the thrill and fun of hydraulics (you become a 10 year old child again, playing in the dirt).  :D

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

We're still searching for builders just to do our fences - needs digging machines etc.

Excavator? For tear down of existing fence?

What kind of fence are you wishing to put up?

I ask, as for tear down it is very helpful to have an excavator to remove old fence post concrete piles (almost needed unless you have a lot of time and a strong back). But not really needed to put up new fence posts; only makes less back work. A soil auger will do the trick. There are one person and two person power augers, rentable in most normal places, but I have not been able to rent one in Hungary -- so I bought a manual auger. A good one -- made in Germany -- not made in China like the ones they offer here. Put in many post with that auger.

When visiting the USA last month, I went to Home Depot on a few occasions and remember how much I love that place. Because sitting outside are excavators on flatbeds to rent. Just drive up, hook up and go home and enjoy the thrill and fun of hydraulics (you become a 10 year old child again, playing in the dirt).  :D

Yes, excavators or what might be called a back hoe (?) in US of A.  I know what you mean with the auger but this is more and I ain't so young nowadays - more to do than I implied with my "just to do our fences" - basically remove the old fences,  dig trenches for fence foundations (not just holes in the ground), fix up the drains, retaining walls, replace the drain covers to sufficient strength, dig out and level the ground ready for paving and drainage, removal of old concrete cess pit and expand hole for underground water storage tank...supports for decking and on and on... it'll need machines to get it done quickly.  It's construction work.    As we're suffering finding someone I might just start doing it myself bit by bit.   I wanted someone else to do it as I have my ordinary work to do.

I really want a digging machine!  Even Mrs Fluffy wants one!  In fact we had a fanciful idea to buy one and send Mrs Fluffy on a course so she could go out on digging jobs.

Not doing anything today as it's bloody raining again!