Absolutely Anything Else

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

You 2 dudes are some of the most interesting on this site.
I think it is wise to be a bit paranoid because in all reality the world is twisted and not on your side.
Dog eat dog, or is it human sacrifice?
Sad to say I now understand why and how that old lady down the street would scream at kids on her lawn and  yell whenever anyone rang their door bell...
I, too, love to stir it up, it is fun to see when and where you can cross the line and upset someone for the slightest infraction. call me bad...

This here is a really safe space to do that as is supposedly all the internet but and it's a big BUT unfortunately it's become a twisted issue recently as the reach has extended down in age. 

I'm really rather surprised that we have new issues like trolling, cyber-bullying and the like.   Who'd have thought about that being on anyone's radar 10 years ago?   

If someone was bullying you, you'd go and get your big brother/sister/Dad/Mum or whatever. 

But in the dark of a vulnerable kids bedroom, it's a pretty dodgy business. Probably time limited access is needed to ensure a life outside of virtuality (if that's a real word).   Takes age and experience to realise what's important.

I really fear my own kids being hassled and they believe a lot of nonsense from their peers and random people.  They tell me about what's going on but I begin to think I need access to their devices to make sure they are not being abused in some way.

First world problems.

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I think it is wise to be a bit paranoid because in all reality the world is twisted and not on your side.
Dog eat dog, or is it human sacrifice?
I used to live with rose colored glasses on but after getting kicked in the pants a few times, I've learned to be a bit wary of everything and everyone.
Sad really to live knowing most people are out to get you one way or the other, be it just passing you in traffic or ripping you off blind.

I live in the countryside. I have become recently extremely paranoid of local conditions. Of many things. This has gotten worse in the last year. And there seems to be a bit of growing Nativism about it.

I put a new super lock on one door recently due to "some local events" that I will not go into.

And I just found a bunch of garbage thrown onto one of my properties yesterday. And a neighbor angrily yelled at me and accused my dog of pooping on their property and me leaving it there (he did not, and even if he did, I pick up all his poop on our walks). This person completely ignored the other half dozen other locals what walk their dogs along this road, and all the weekend tourist with dogs. Oddly, I am the only "foreigner" in the mix. This is just one example, not to mention other issues that have occurred in the past few months. If one wants to be paranoid, one need only look at the toxic environment the current Hungarian Government is creating in Hungary.

So I am constantly now paranoid about what "next" will happen. And my paranoia is about all the local people here around me, because, I have no idea which  of my neighbors is dumping garbage on my properties, etc. Really annoying.

Will my paranoia go to the point I have to buy, at no little expense, brush cameras to record when some idiot dumps garbage on my property?  :/

Breathing into a paper bag now to reduce my hyperventilation.......... " **

** Anything over three dots (in this case 10 dots) means I am being self sardonic not sarcastic,  :)

I am sorry to hear of this BS by your neighbors..
I do not really follow the news here, get it second hand from my husband. I hardly know what is going on in the US either. In my "safety bubble" most times.
Our newest neighbor next door is a single 59 year old HU dentist.
I noticed the other day she has had a motion detector light and some sort of ADT style burgle thing put on top of her front door.
I have never heard of any break in's in our house but that was before our next door neighbor moved out.
It was well known he was in the HU mob and no one dared to do a thing wrong in our house because of him. Now that this women has bought his old flat maybe she knows something no one else knows yet?
As it is, we were given the keys to share the best under cellar storage unit with this old neighbor. Everyone else had a sort of open space with just some screen and lock but ours is behind a thick wooden door and inside it is large enough for someone to live down there.
We have one room there and he has 2. He still hasn't moved his things out of the cellar, not sure what is going on with that but obviously the new owner can't access the storage or doesn't care?
We have never stored anything down there because it is both damp and we do not want to lose our stuff if something goes wrong.
My husband tells me it is maybe time to leave HU sooner then later.
He says we are not paranoid but the gov. is making some uneducated people be anti- foreigner.
I don't know about that as no one really has bothered me about race, I look more HUngarain then some people born here so I blend in. Plus I'm getting old and not a threat to anyone's job ect.
Hubby says soon some jobs will go away and locals will start to blame all those foreigners for taking there jobs. Just like in the US where all those Mexicans have stolen all the jobs, like anyone wishes to pick grapes all day long...
My husband likes the vibe in the US more then in HU, he was gone too many years and sometimes thinks the HU way of doing things and acting is beyond mean and just dumb.
Like I said, I am in a bubble and really don't know for sure.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My husband tells me it is maybe time to leave HU sooner then later.
He says we are not paranoid but the gov. is making some uneducated people be anti- foreigner.
I don't know about that as no one really has bothered me about race, I look more HUngarain then some people born here so I blend in. Plus I'm getting old and not a threat to anyone's job ect.
Hubby says soon some jobs will go away and locals will start to blame all those foreigners for taking there jobs. Just like in the US where all those Mexicans have stolen all the jobs, like anyone wishes to pick grapes all day long...
My husband likes the vibe in the US more then in HU, he was gone too many years and sometimes thinks the HU way of doing things and acting is beyond mean and just dumb.
Like I said, I am in a bubble and really don't know for sure.

I tend to agree with your hubby.   

The problem with the HU immigration policy is that it's not an attractive place to come for foreigners.  Who are the cheap workers now?  If there is no welcome for immigrants as low paid workers, then the economy will suffer.  So HU govt nobbled by their own rhetoric.   

If they thought Romanians or Serbians want to come to HU to work, they are very much mistaken. They'd rather go further away for 3 x the money.

I'm not really bothered about HU people thinking I'm taking their jobs.  I'm thinking of retiring within 5 or 6 years anyway and then they can moan all they like about it.  If they think they can do a better job then go on then, do it.

On one hand HU is always going on about how great it is to have so many tourists here but it seems a case of come, dump your money and then get outta here.
Not sure why but I always in the back of my mind think the gov could force people to eave if their immigration policies ever change.
Not so much for us who are part of the HU family now but those with no family ties here.
I see a lot of people from Africa on U tube who now live in Budapest, think I'd move on if I were them but as I'm not I can't really say what keeps them here in HU as I honestly do believe it isn't the best place to be a minority.
Talking about neighbors, well I will talk about them anyways.
We have a HU single lady in the house who lives on our floot. She is in her early 60's and looks it too.
We heard the latest gossip awhile ago at lunch with another neighbor also in her mid 60's.
This women who lives on our floor has a wealthy ex-husband who often we were told was the guy who came to visit her often even though they are divorced.NOt so sure he was her ex now as this other neighbor mentioned she had seen this women looking drunk and picking up men at Keliti station! So crazy hard to believe with her little head of white hair and all.
Gossips,where would we be without them.
I am not sure I believe it because it just seems to not fit at all at least not her daytime image.
Another 60 some year old lady on our floor has her 20 something daughter living with her. This women is using a crutch to get around with now because her knees are shot. I feel for her. She used to be in the circus and her body was abused with that job. She and her girl often fight, once the women , the older one was so drunk she was literally crawling on the walkway trying to get home. Our old mob neighbor controlled them when they fought, he would scare them into being quiet and shutting their door. He kept this house in order, he didn't really want the attention of cops entering the house. This older women has a boyfriend who comes over, he is in his late 30's maybe? Not her son. Her father just passed on and left her a large flat on the next st. She wants to sell it and give the money to her son, never seen him around at all, makes us wonder who is her son? Maybe the mob has their hands on her flat already, maybe she owes them? One's imagination could run away if one wanted to really ponder these gossips.
I think it may be good that I mostly keep to myself in this house and don't understand too much of what is really going on.
Glass breaking, looks like some person from the drunk tank hospital didn't like their meal, they just threw their plate out the window....
Seems my building is a hub for 60 something old single ladies... very odd.
Almost forgot about the new B&B in the house. Flat belonged to a 61 year old widow who drank herself to death a few years back. Her son's fixed it up and sold it as aB&B. Well here and there I see some groups of tourists, it is a larger flat for our house. Side note, this women who drank herself to death with booze and pills had been dating our mob neighbors younger son for years. He was a good 30 years her jr.... I swear it is hard to avoid knowing this stuff after 13 years in the house.
Most everyday lately however, say for the past 6 months when I open my kitchen top windows for some air I always see one to three young women just sitting on the ground outside the flat smoking cig's. They do this all day long.
One looks a lot like our circus ladies daughter but from so far away I can't swear it is her or not.
I sort of put 2 and 2 together, think it may be a cat house more then a rooming house. Those women do not exactly look like they could afford a B&B on their own.
Dang I should just keep all my doors and windows closed at all times!!!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I agree with your husband.

I had not been to the USA for many years, but was there this spring to visit a friend.

Long story short, we were in a Home Depot parking lot, and were having some problems loading up and tying down some plywood. And a fellow just came up and said "Can I help you sir?" Yes, he actually called me sir! And really then helped us. I don't think anyone in Hungary has ever asked to help me do anything, much less just done it with me as a team, effectively. They seem to only want to "tell me" how "they" think it should be done. All talk and opinion here, no real helpful action. Totally different vibe indeed.  :|

fluffy2560 wrote:

[
Maybe you have missed the point in my reply about being paranoid.

I probably did miss it. No, in fact if you said I missed it, then I just will trust I missed it. I miss a lot this time of the year. Too much on my plate.  :|

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I agree with your husband.

I had not been to the USA for many years, but was there this spring to visit a friend.

Long story short, we were in a Home Depot parking lot, and were having some problems loading up and tying down some plywood. And a fellow just came up and said "Can I help you sir?" Yes, he actually called me sir! And really then helped us. I don't think anyone in Hungary has ever asked to help me do anything, much less just done it with me as a team, effectively. They seem to only want to "tell me" how "they" think it should be done. All talk and opinion here, no real helpful action. Totally different vibe indeed.  :|

I know, even my husband says Americans have a sort of laid back coolness about them.
My husband is that way here, not sure why but 2 or 3 times now he has noticed a young mom trying to either go up a flight of subway stairs or down them with a baby stroller. He always just runs over and helps them out. Then walks away like no big deal.
In our youth we often pulled over to help a stranger push their car out of traffic if they had broken down etc. We had people  go hundreds of miles out of their way to give us a ride home in CO. when our car broke down on a Sunday when all the shops were closed.
Americans can be the best at times.
We broke down once on some desert highway and those seniors who cruise around in those large RV's always carry spare parts for people they see in trouble on the road. They actually pack extra just in case anyone needs help.
Once in Conn. my parents Caddie broke down and a police officer drove us hundreds of miles in his squad car back to my aunts house, it was a Sunday too.
Not sure what to say, Vegas though is different, we broke down once on the freeway and it took 3 hours before the first car pulled over to ask if we needed help. Our fuel pump had gone out and we only needed a tow truck but we didn't have a phone on us. That pissed me off, 3 hours is a long time.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

[
Maybe you have missed the point in my reply about being paranoid.

I probably did miss it. No, in fact if you said I missed it, then I just will trust I missed it. I miss a lot this time of the year. Too much on my plate.  :|

Those grapes growing too fast again?

;)

Marilyn,

I was watching a TV show on Netflix called "The Spy" about the Israeli spy Eli Cohen.

A lot of it was filmed in Budapest.  If you get chance to see it, you'll so many places downtown dressed to look like Buenos Aires.

I wonder if this is the TV/movie they were making outside your apartment?

I recognised lots of places in Budapest, including the famous GoldTimeraircraft HA-LIX which must have been filmed at Budaors airport.

Sounds interesting, I have allowed my Netflix to expire.
Maybe it will air on U Tube sometime.
One film on our st. had people wearing WW11 1940's style clothing, maybe that was it?
Still have not heard a thing about my sisters new hip.
Sort of getting mad, I suppose it's time for me to try to ring her up myself.
I hate using the phone, one reason I have no need for a cell phone. We have a old cell phone with a pre-paid card for emergency use and a land line for whatever.
Grew up with our mom monitoring the time spent talking after school to friends. It was a strict 10 min. call. She meant it too. One second over the limit and she would hang up the phone on us, no matter who was on the line.
Wish I could do the same to some of these loud speaking cell phone users that our out in public. They just scream all of their business into the phone and then I really do thank God I can't understand most of it. My husband tells me it is a blessing not to understand the garbage most people go on about over the phone. I did this, he said that... Crazy people who are in the Matrix too deep to ever come out again.
I suppose my mother was so strict because she had 6 kids and only one phone.
She also had days when we were not allowed to speak for a few hours, had to read a book or just go outside to play or walk. I am not sure if it was a native cultural thing but she tried even as tiny children to teach us to keep some of the noise to ourselves in our own heads. Actually would place tape on our mouth to remind us that sometimes it is good to be still and quiet.
I have been known to talk my head off at times but in general I love the quiet and can be in a room with people who I know and not talk at all for hours.
In all reality most people myself included just really don't have that much to say that is all that interesting all the time.One reason I dislike all those cell phones out in public, people forget there is life right there in front of them while being pulled into the zone and not being aware of real life happening at the moment.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sounds interesting, I have allowed my Netflix to expire.
Maybe it will air on U Tube sometime.
One film on our st. had people wearing WW11 1940's style clothing, maybe that was it?
Still have not hear a thing about my sisters new hip.
Sort of getting mad, I suppose it's time for me to try to ring her up myself.
I hate using the phone, one reason I have no need for a cell phone. We have a old cell phone with a pre-paid card for emergency use and a land line for whatever.... I did this, he said that... Crazy people who are in the Matrix too deep to ever come out again.

Yes, that could be that movie - it's got Sacha Baron Cohen and a few others in it.   It's set in the 1960s so that might be right.

Why don't you add some credit to Skype and call your sis from there via your computer?  It's quite cheap to call the US and even Japan landlines from Skype although I don't like their pushy behaviour for "subscriptions".  Shouldn't cost more than 2-3 cts a minute. 

Skype isn't the only one - WhatsApp is also very popular.

Yes, thats exactly what we planned on doing, adding some time to skype. Our son calls us from Jpan that way unless he is using FB .Guess we are just a bit lazy, the time difference of 6 or more hours sort of gets me a bit put off with calling.When I am in the mood to talk it is too early over there.
Weather is getting nice for some long walks, the long summer of not walking so much in the heat has me having to get back into walking shape for the fall.

What an idiot.

John or Donald. You decide*

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/us/p … trump.html

* This is not a binary question, you can decide "both", with appropriate percentages, as an answer.

What a potentially dangerous idiot trying anything to hold on to local  power:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/worl … -bank.html

klsallee wrote:

What an idiot.

* This is not a binary question, you can decide "both", with appropriate percentages, as an answer.

I was very surprised at this one.  Bolton was a strange guy anyway but even so Trump is really very odd and potentially very dangerous. 

I wonder if Trump does it to try and keep people on their toes - no-one is protected.  Keep every one in fear.   From very far away, it seems to be quite random.  I wonder if DT has any idea on how to build a consensus in his team which would be the mark of a great politician.

I get the impression that he's running it like his business empire where he makes all the decisions at any level.  Mum and Dad (Congress and Senate) and the now the kindly uncle (no aunties) (SCOTUS) have to try and keep him in control instead of having him committed or under a psychiatrist's care.   

I wonder if there's any buyer's (voters') regret of their choice of POTUS.    If he's back again for a second term, then no obviously.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, thats exactly what we planned on doing, adding some time to skype. Our son calls us from Jpan that way unless he is using FB .Guess we are just a bit lazy, the time difference of 6 or more hours sort of gets me a bit put off with calling.When I am in the mood to talk it is too early over there.
Weather is getting nice for some long walks, the long summer of not walking so much in the heat has me having to get back into walking shape for the fall.

When the leaves fall that so reminds me of being a kid kicking the leaves in my wellington boots while playing in the woods.  We used to pile them all up like a pile of feathers and then fall into it for a soft landing.  What with the colours of the leaves, I used to think it was all magical.

Being far away and differing timezones needs extra effort.  I use timeanddate.com to plan my online meetings.  It becomes very weird with Asia-Pacific especially say, NZ to Washington.  Hard to get a slot that fits reasonably.

klsallee wrote:

What an idiot.

They are all mental power freaks in my humble opinion.
Can't stand politics, never have, never will.
I knew in the 5th grade that anyone trying to be school student president was a lair. They all promised to give us ice cream with every school lunch. never happened.
Took a lovely walk today in this wonderful weather.
Went to the US embassy to pick up my new passport.
Today must of been "orange alert" day because they went through everything today. A couple weeks back when there applying for my new passport they were rather lack with security, not today however.
Heard about my sister and her new hip. she is fine, just tired after all the blood she lost during surgery.
Moderate pain levels, she is tough though.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
klsallee wrote:

What an idiot.

They are all mental power freaks in my humble opinion.
Can't stand politics, never have, never will.
I knew in the 5th grade that anyone trying to be school student president was a lair. They all promised to give us ice cream with every school lunch. never happened.
Took a lovely walk today in this wonderful weather.
Went to the US embassy to pick up my new passport.
Today must of been "orange alert" day because they went through everything today. A couple weeks back when there applying for my new passport they were rather lack with security, not today however.
Heard about my sister and her new hip. she is fine, just tired after all the blood she lost during surgery.
Moderate pain levels, she is tough though.

You're lucky.  We can only get UK  passports "mail order" and it's a rip off.  No concept of service in a British Embassy where citizens are a burden interfering with an endless round of diplomatically hosted cocktail parties when not abusing visa applicants.

Glad to hear your sis is doing OK.  I am sure she's getting the best of care and soon she'll be doing the conga.

I agree with the ice cream - this is more important than a lot of other things.  DT has opportunity to change that with a federally mandated IC4ALL Act (Ice Cream for All Act).   I couldn't think of a better moniker.

Sir Roger Moore (ex-James Bond, RIP) would have been a supporter. It's little known he was responsible for the design of the choc ice or Magnum as it's known.

Both of my older sisters had major crushes on Roger Moore.
Knowing he invented the ice cream bar makes me have a bit of a flame for him now as well!
The weather is so nice these past few days, staying in today it looks like.
My son called today and after 2 hours of talking my husband is napping.
All good, will cut his hair when he wakes up, he is so lucky to have a private barber/hairdresser on call.
At times I miss cutting hair, not often but sometimes I do, mostly I miss cutting a nice clean bob or long layered haircut. My Japanese DIL had so much long thick hair that it took me well over one hour to cut her hair and I still felt I could of done more... Thank God for thinning shears.
Have to actually get an appointment and go out to get my own hair cut, life is just not fair at times....
I didn't realize yesterday at the US embassy that is was Sept. 11th. Guess that's why they were doing the once over to get in.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Maybe this world just hates Gingers?

My reply would be off topic at the source, so move here.

I was always VERY attracted to red headed women. *

Had a lovely red haired girlfriend for a while (yes, Irish). A real beauty she was. Her hair was really a lovely pale red.

And I often listen to OTR (old time radio) and often the "beauty" in the script is a red head with ivory skin.

Not sure why "tastes" have changed. But I think the sun tanned 70's and 80's may have been a factor.

Still to me, red hair, fair skin and green eyes are dreamy. :D

* Side note: FWIIW, I also dated a Sri Lankan, a Native American, a few blonds, and many brunettes. I am very cosmopolitan. :)

klsallee wrote:

* Side note: FWIIW, I also dated a Sri Lankan, a Native American, a few blonds, and many brunettes. I am very cosmopolitan. :)

It was always an odd thing to me that there used to be a Western idea (at least in the UK) that being tanned was healthy and wealthy looking.  Quite weird looking back now that people realise that a bit too much tanning leads to potential skin cancer.   Light people in Australia know all about that!

There are some people who want to date a look rather than a person.   I know someone like that. He has that somewhat strange belief and I am sure when eye'ing up someone he's mentally ticking off some list he's got.   Needless to say his success/hit rate is rather low!

As for red hair, the first person who came to my mind who was well known (to me anyway) was  the Scottish actress Rose Leslie. She was rather popular in Game of Thrones. 

Some people make fun of red haired people but I'm with you (since I've got red hair in my family and I used to have flecks or red/ginger in my hair before they went grey).

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Maybe this world just hates Gingers?

My reply would be off topic at the source, so move here.

I was always VERY attracted to red headed women. *

Had a lovely red haired girlfriend for a while (yes, Irish). A real beauty she was. Her hair was really a lovely pale red.

And I often listen to OTR (old time radio) and often the "beauty" in the script is a red head with ivory skin.

Not sure why "tastes" have changed. But I think the sun tanned 70's and 80's may have been a factor.

One of my grandmothers was a red head and my Hungarian MIL was a red head too.
Have 3 male red headed cousins, their mom was Irish.
My son was born with a full head of super bright red hair and green eyes.
The world is lucky he is male because as a women he would of been getting by on his looks alone I think, so pretty, red hair.
Sadly my red hair is from a tube...
I think red headed women have it easier then red headed men do.
The Asian women my son knew/knows love his red hair, guess you either love it or hate it.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

The world is lucky he is male because as a women he would of been getting by on his looks alone I think, so pretty, red hair.
The Asian women my son knew/knows love his red hair, guess you either love it or hate it.

I was in the Middle East and there are lots of people there with red hair.  I was told they are "Russians" as they come from some area up there which has lots of blonde/red haired people.  Not really a natural colouring you associate with the Middle East. I was not sure they were joking because they use henna to colour their hair and beards - something to do with their religion.

Red hair and green hair is a nice combination!

One of my Fluffyettes has green eyes and is very proud of them but she's not red headed. 

There's a green eyes theme through the paternal line and a more distant red hair line so it's 50-50 or similar which one you get.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I was in the Middle East and there are lots of people there with red hair.  I was told they are "Russians" as they come from some area up there which has lots of blonde/red haired people.  Not really a natural colouring you associate with the Middle East. I was not sure they were joking because they use henna to colour their hair and beards - something to do with their religion.

Red hair and green hair is a nice combination!

One of my Fluffyettes has green eyes and is very proud of them but she's not red headed. 

There's a green eyes theme through the paternal line and a more distant red hair line so it's 50-50 or similar which one you get.

Years ago on PBS a public tv network in the US, they ran a documentary on the Tarkarian's.a race of tall red headed people who lived in China ages ago.
They dug up their graves and found their red hair and bones.
I've heard there used to be a lot more blonde and red heads here in HU but with mixing of people over time it is not as common as it used to be here to see those shades of hair.
It's odd to think of the old photos of my HU MIL in her youth. She was rather what you would call a "beauty" in her day. Tall athletic looking with thick red hair and nice clear skin.
She was around 55 when I first met her and years of hard work had taken it's toll on her good looks by then.My FIL was a couple inches shorter then her and had a more "dark complextion, Turkish looking sort of to my eyes. He had come from a super wealthy HU family but when they married he didn't have any family money left. Sort of nice to know he blew it before they took it away after the war.
Our HU niece once dated some jerk who's grandparents used to be servants in my FIL home when he lived with his parents. This guy was still angry about it too and let my niece know how angry he was when they broke up. Hey, at least they had a job.
My son looked like he had blue eyes when he was first born then they changed to green. I think many babies are born with blue eyes and they change if that is possible?
I was born with thick long curly black hair, later it was fine, straight and on the very light golden brown side. Weird.
Maybe I was swapped at the hospital? No, not some stolen princess who later finds her real fmaily, stuck with the bunch I have!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Years ago on PBS a public tv network in the US, they ran a documentary on the Tarkarian's.a race of tall red headed people who lived in China ages ago.
They dug up their graves and found their red hair and bones.
I've heard there used to be a lot more blonde and red heads here in HU but with mixing of people over time it is not as common as it used to be here to see those shades of hair.
It's odd to think of the old photos of my HU MIL in her youth. She was rather what you would call a "beauty" in her day. Tall athletic looking with thick red hair and nice clear skin.
She was around 55 when I first met her and years of hard work had taken it's toll on her good looks by then.My FIL was a couple inches shorter then her and had a more "dark complextion, Turkish looking sort of to my eyes. He had come from a super wealthy HU family but when they married he didn't have any family money left. Sort of nice to know he blew it before they took it away after the war.
My son looked like he had blue eyes when he was first born then they changed to green. I think many babies are born with blue eyes and they change if that is possible?
I was born with thick long curly black hair, later it was fine, straight and on the very light golden brown side. Weird.
Maybe I was swapped at the hospital? No, not some stolen princess who later finds her real fmaily, stuck with the bunch I have!

I thought all babies are born with blue eyes and their eyes change colour later on.  Don't know why, maybe exposure to the light causes the change. Don't know if that applies to all races of humanoids in this particular matrix.

Mrs Fluffy did her family tree and is descended from an "aristocratic" line but her research shows they lost it all for some reason - maybe the communists or some other thing or other like wars or moving - some Schwab thingy also.  She did find a bunch of distant relatives in Slovakia who turned up to meet once but struggled in Hungarian - one of them was an actress on some well known soap but I have no idea of the name as Slovak soaps are not prioritised in FluffyTown.  But what with kids and wot not, it, Mrs Fluffy has no time to deal with that stuff. 

I was hoping there's a secret billionaire aunt who is willing to push us into a life of retired luxury.   If she's secret she's certainly good at hiding.

I have to admit when I was a kid I wondered if I was actually an alien. Not sure if it was youthful/teenage angst or too much Philip K Dick, Ursula K. Le Guin, Dr Who, Star Trek and Lost in Space....I hated that Dr Smith, what a hammy nitwit. Poisoned my mind forever against the actor who played him.

I totally believe your wife was from an aristocractic family.
Hate to say it though almost 40% of the Hungarians I've ever met claim the same.
Even the junkie, gay deporeted out of the USA Hungarian we knew here, well seemed to run into all the time.
He wanted us all to drive in our car to Romania where he claimed he still had a huge estate....Dang those drugs must of been good!
When my husband was growing up his parents divorced when he was only 18 months old.
His father only told them a tiny bit of their family history because in the 50's and later it wasn't a good idea to talk about such matters.
They even had a grandfather  that was an officer in the old HU Budapest police dept. They had to hide his dress photo in the back of another picture. Only took it out once in awhile in private to look at.
Not sure why no one wants to be related to a simple farmer but I know my family is not from royals, well maybe so after all I could be related to Pocahontas!
6 years ago on our family reunion to Poland my 2 US cousins were going n and on about how their family wealth must of started in Poland with the axle grease trade. That region of Poland made world class axle grease in the day.
Well, we went to the museum, I just went along with them for fun never expected to see my name all over the place.
They couldn't find any listing of their surname on the record in the museum but I found 5 or 6 people with my surname out of a list of about 13 who ran the trade.
I was a bit weird  in front of them because they looked a bit sad about not finding their names, I had to keep my self in check not to hurt their feelings. I made light of it but did take photos to show my sibblings.
My father also claimed he inherited the title of town mayor through his mother's side, whoppie a town/village of 150 people, big time!

Didn't wish to make a super long post all at once so here is part 2.

About a decade ago we went into the National Archives here in Budapest to look up my husband's family tree.
Wasn't easy as their system was hard to figure out online and mostly there were pro's using the internet inside for research.
We just played around for a short time but found a  lot of info.
Found the family had split into 2 fractions so they had 2 different crests, saw a photo of one of them, think we took a camera shot but they at the time didn't really allow photos at the archives.
Had to do it fast.
We also wrote down the family motto but it is written in Latin;
Did a semi-translate on it but not completed.
We sort of gave up on our reshearch after that one time, it was hard really.
Here is the motto if anyone knows Latin:

Cum deo et vectricibus armis Michael Aloysios de Tass ,inclitorum comitatuum Heves et Exteriorum Unitorum vicecomes (obiit) m.p. Inte domine speraui nec confundar in aeternum.
Maybe it translates into you have won the Puplishers Cleaning House Sweapstakes!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Here is the motto if anyone knows Latin:

Cum deo et vectricibus armis Michael Aloysios de Tass ,inclitorum comitatuum Heves et Exteriorum Unitorum vicecomes (obiit) m.p. Inte domine speraui nec confundar in aeternum.

Maybe it translates into you have won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes!

I shoved it through Google Translate:

"When God and bikers arms of Michael Aloysius Tass, the beauty and the exterior Unitorum Heves County Sheriff (dead) m.p. And not be put to shame, Lord, I have trusted in the inte ever".

Google translate needs work!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I totally believe your wife was from an aristocractic family.
Hate to say it though almost 40% of the Hungarians I've ever met claim the same.
Even the junkie, gay deporeted out of the USA Hungarian we knew here, well seemed to run into all the time.
He wanted us all to drive in our car to Romania where he claimed he still had a huge estate....Dang those drugs must of been good!
When my husband was growing up his parents divorced when he was only 18 months old.
His father only told them a tiny bit of their family history because in the 50's and later it wasn't a good idea to talk about such matters.
They even had a grandfather  that was an officer in the old HU Budapest police dept. They had to hide his dress photo in the back of another picture. Only took it out once in awhile in private to look at.
Not sure why no one wants to be related to a simple farmer but I know my family is not from royals, well maybe so after all I could be related to Pocahontas!
6 years ago on our family reunion to Poland my 2 US cousins were going n and on about how their family wealth must of started in Poland with the axle grease trade. That region of Poland made world class axle grease in the day.
Well, we went to the museum, I just went along with them for fun never expected to see my name all over the place.
They couldn't find any listing of their surname on the record in the museum but I found 5 or 6 people with my surname out of a list of about 13 who ran the trade.
I was a bit weird  in front of them because they looked a bit sad about not finding their names, I had to keep my self in check not to hurt their feelings. I made light of it but did take photos to show my siblings.
My father also claimed he inherited the title of town mayor through his mother's side, whoppie a town/village of 150 people, big time!

Pocahontas - that's mega romantic stuff (at least in the movies).  Royalty!   You could be the "real" one. 

I've always wondered why people who get hypnotised think they are Cleopatra or Napoleon - how many of them are there?   I think Pocahontas reincarnation would be much more desirable.  Cleopatra got bitten by an asp and Napoleon ended his days on Saint Helena.

Being big in axle grease does not sound very attractive but I am sure there was plenty of elbow grease involved.  I suppose being in grease could involve slippery business.

My ancestor was supposedly a knight over from France to be a knight at a castle south of London.  What he actually did there, no-one knows apart from providing the name.  We didn't get a castle out of it. I know where the castle is - it's in the middle of a town and is just a wall here and there!  A ruin!

Too cool, perhaps  all of us "left overs" on earth are the survivers  of those who had the extra  fortitude to keep the human race going.
if you want to hear a "romantic" story it would be my husband's much loved granny.
She was the off spring of a progressive minded cattle rancher and the most "beautiful" women in the town.
This guy was already married and had a couple of children with his 'average but well connectted' wife.
Let's see that would be great granny on my MIL's side.
Another red headed beauty who mesmerized this rancher here in Hungary.
They had a wild affair in the 19th century and great-granny found herself with child.
Normally a huge shame at that time but everyone respected this rancher and of course she was the village beauty.
A man in the village decided to marry her even though she was with child from this rancher.
No one ever dissed  her because they all loved this rancher.
His wife was aware of granny being born but she kept out of the issue.
Every year on name days, birthdays holidays this racher would send a huge overstuffed cart of goodies to his daugther.
Her step-dad took offense and would send every cart back after a whipping with dung.
It was a thing that both knew would happen.
When granny was still young her father the rancher was killed by one of his prize bulls, got stuck right in the heart with a horn.
All money and big future dreams for granny died with him. His wife never did what he had wanted to do, he plan was to secure her future when she was older. Days long ago before too many people actually made out wills.
Sort of bitter sweet, old granny later married her husband who was the officer in the Budapest police dept and had 9 children, sadly he died young and left her alone to raise the 8 living children on her own.
Wow, could make a movie about this story.

This Ruysn museum had a display of how they used to extract oil from the forest trees to make a world class axle grease back in the day when
they used carriages. I saw the trade route which included going down to Budapest from Kunkowa.
Super cool to see with my own eyes what was real and what was fantasy.
Guess the was, "gold" in them there trees back in the day.'
To think people make money off of energy drinks now, it is understandable that people used to make money off of tree sap turning into oil.
Interesting though to see someone in the family actually had the know how to figure this out and make  a living doing it.
Maybe not related to real royalty but people who knew how to use their brians.Was really nice to me at least to see the lake where my father learned to swim in. In his day it was a river which later was damed up. Story is he was only 3 years old and his father threw him in . sink or swim style. Knowing what little i know about grandpappy, it sounds true enough.
I do wonder though if his father would of pulled him out if he sank...
Trial by fire as it was.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Too cool, perhaps  all of us "left overs" on earth are the survivers  of those who had the extra  fortitude to keep the human race going.
if you want to hear a "romantic" story it would be my husband's much loved granny.
She was the off spring of a progressive minded cattle rancher and the most "beautiful" women in the town.
This guy was already married and had a couple of children with his 'average but well connectted' wife.
Let's see that would be great granny on my MIL's side.
Another red headed beauty who mesmerized this rancher here in Hungary.
They had a wild affair in the 19th century and great-granny found herself with child.
Normally a huge shame at that time but everyone respected this rancher and of course she was the village beauty.
A man in the village decided to marry her even though she was with child from this rancher.
No one ever dissed  her because they all loved this rancher.
His wife was aware of granny being born but she kept out of the issue.
Every year on name days, birthdays holidays this racher would send a huge overstuffed cart of goodies to his daugther.
Her step-dad took offense and would send every cart back after a whipping with dung.
It was a thing that both knew would happen.
When granny was still young her father the rancher was killed by one of his prize bulls, got stuck right in the heart with a horn.
All money and big future dreams for granny died with him. His wife never did what he had wanted to do, he plan was to secure her future when she was older. Days long ago before too many people actually made out wills.
Sort of bitter sweet, old granny later married her husband who was the officer in the Budapest police dept and had 9 children, sadly he died young and left her alone to raise the 8 living children on her own.
Wow, could make a movie about this story.

I'm convinced.

That actually sounds pretty depressing for a movie...all Susan Hayward* melodrama.....needs some upsides or humour to counterbalance the drama...spin forward to show all the kids being a massive success  or maybe a young granny being on a Titanic police equivalent and being reunited with her "Jack" on Budapest police patrol.....

Several of us have said you should write a book Marilyn!  We've been waiting for it!    Needs a ghost writer**

Someone was here recently who said she was a writer and posted here about apartments or something or other - might be a useful contact. 

Got to capture all of this stuff before the memories are lost forever. 

* I only mention her as I had a teenage crush on her and Natalie Wood.
** I've got pretty good imagination but I'm utterly useless at writing.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

This Ruysn museum had a display of how they used to extract oil from the forest trees to make a world class axle grease back in the day when
they used carriages. I saw the trade route which included going down to Budapest from Kunkowa.
Super cool to see with my own eyes what was real and what was fantasy.
Guess the was, "gold" in them there trees back in the day.'
To think people make money off of energy drinks now, it is understandable that people used to make money off of tree sap turning into oil.
Interesting though to see someone in the family actually had the know how to figure this out and make  a living doing it.
Maybe not related to real royalty but people who knew how to use their brians.Was really nice to me at least to see the lake where my father learned to swim in. In his day it was a river which later was damed up. Story is he was only 3 years old and his father threw him in . sink or swim style. Knowing what little i know about grandpappy, it sounds true enough.
I do wonder though if his father would of pulled him out if he sank...
Trial by fire as it was.

Throwing your kid in the drink sounds like child abuse.  Not pulling the child out - murder!

I always thought tree sap was used as glue - they often "bleed" the trees to get the sap out but I've never heard of tree grease.

I wonder if this was actually olive oil? I know the Romans used olive oil in many ways perhaps also for grease in some way.  Maybe tree produced grease is more eco-friendly than oil based versions.  Sustainable at least.   Maybe even from some kind of nuts or seeds?

The Ruysn museum in Losie Poland had a display on how they made this grease.
It went over my head at first when my cousins kept talking about a grease museum, just so odd.
Child abuse, well from what I know it was sort of common for parents to be so tough back in the 1920's, my grandfather was something else for sure.
He was the one who went on holiday from the US to visit family in eastern Europe and while there was drafted into the Czars Army.
My German grandfather was rather sweet.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Child abuse, well from what I know it was sort of common for parents to be so tough back in the 1920's, my grandfather was something else for sure.
He was the one who went on holiday from the US to visit family in eastern Europe and while there was drafted into the Czars Army.

I'm sure he didn't mean it really!

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I'm sure he didn't mean it really!

My male cousin I met in Vegas told me that he got to know our Ruysn grandfather very well when he was a teenager.
For some reason my grandfather wanted to get to know his male grandsons( forget us girls!)
One summer it was cousin Jack, one summer Frank  ect.
Frank told me our grandfather was a nice guy underneath all his weirdness. He was hooked on playing some sort of card game and would make Frank play with him for hours on end.In the end Frank learned a few card tricks which made him a profit when playing against his friends later on.
I've seen some posts on ex-pat on FB.
Some poor newbies here had a cleaning staff in their flat and when they left their room they found their laptop and other items long gone.
I know these people are probably young but still.. way to naive to be on their own in a strange country I think.
I had my first paying job at age 9.
A retired couple hired me to go into their home while they were in Mexico for a week.
I had to water their yard and come over twice a day to feed their cats.
I never snooped around upstairs in their room or looked into any drawers , only in the kitchen to find the can opener.
Was rehired the next summer as well.
I just don't get it stealing for people, sorry not my thing.
I admit as a 17 year old run away my freind and I would lift lunch meat from the stores. We got enough together to buy bread but lunch meat was out of our price range.
These were big stores and probably had a tax right off for theft. No proud of that but being actually hungry will make you crazy.
6 months of that and I was done being a crimmie.

Decided to put off running errands until another day, this cold wind is not conducive to being outside for long.
Hate those cold air headaches.
I hardly see anyone wearing hats these days, baseball caps do not count as a hat.
I must be turning into an old lady because I am one of the first to put on a hat and gloves, guess those years in S. Ca. have made me weak when it comes to cold air.
Suppose it will be time soon to decide whether or not we will run away for the winter months or not.
I sort of want to stick around and experience the winter again.
I love being indoors and seeing the snow fall outside.
It seems like this past summer was extra short for some reason.
I can see the shades on the buildings changing, not as much sunshine as last month.
Who else is looking forward to winter, probably not many people.
My sister wants us to move to Minn. that is even colder then Hungary is, might as well move to the N. Pole as to move there!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Decided to put off running errands until another day, this cold wind is not conducive to being outside for long.
I hardly see anyone wearing hats these days, baseball caps do not count as a hat.
I must be turning into an old lady because I am one of the first to put on a hat and gloves, guess those years in S. Ca. have made me weak when it comes to cold air.
Suppose it will be time soon to decide whether or not we will run away for the winter months or not.
I can see the shades on the buildings changing, not as much sunshine as last month.
My sister wants us to move to Minn. that is even colder then Hungary is, might as well move to the N. Pole as to move there!

I'm not at home and here it's sunny and warm, but Mrs Fluffy was reporting the weather was excellent - at least during the day.  I've been noting that the temperature has fallen in HU now we're into September.    But hat and gloves? Really?  I suppose it's not that Spring freshness but that damp'ish autumn (US: fall).

I am not looking forward to the snow at all and the bit in between, the rain. Our garden is a mudbath after a shower and then it's all the aroma of wet dog - it's not allowed in the house then.  We've done no landscaping due to the boundary dispute.  It's just dragging on and on.

If you look at the timeanddate.com web site you can see the days shortening by a few minutes each day.  Very sad to say goodbye to summer.  And a few months to the shortest day, so downhill all the way.

After that, it's all positive towards 2020....time flies... !!

BTW, I had visions of you and your hubby getting a winter job as Mr and Mrs Claus in the depths of winter in Minnesota or the North Pole.  Ho-Ho....err...Ho....

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I'm not at home and here it's sunny and warm, but Mrs Fluffy was reporting the weather was excellent - at least during the day.  I've been noting that the temperature has fallen in HU now we're into September.    But hat and gloves? Really?  I suppose it's not that Spring freshness but that damp'ish autumn (US: fall).

I am not looking forward to the snow at all and the bit in between, the rain. Our garden is a mudbath after a shower and then it's all the aroma of wet dog - it's not allowed in the house then.  We've done no landscaping due to the boundary dispute.  It's just dragging on and on.

If you look at the timeanddate.com web site you can see the days shortening by a few minutes each day.  Very sad to say goodbye to summer.  And a few months to the shortest day, so downhill all the way.

After that, it's all positive towards 2020....time flies... !!

BTW, I had visions of you and your hubby getting a winter job as Mr and Mrs Claus in the depths of winter in Minnesota or the North Pole.  Ho-Ho....err...Ho....

Was really nice outside today as we finally ran some errands.
No, not wearing gloves just yet, just looking into buying more of them.
I am done if my head, hands or feet get chilled.
One year we had far too much fun using our sled in the city park and my feet actually hurt when we got home, They had frozen a bit even with my thick socks and heavy boots on.
I was almost crying and i never really cry in pain.
Santa Claus, it would be something to see my husband take part in that! We really no longer ,"do" holidays. Never felt they were real or honest but went along with the program to please family.
We are now free, free at last from what society  thinks and we no longer care.
We do the day our way, could be buying presents one year and having a feast and the next year not even looking at the day and just eating simple foods and not caring what day it is.
We both know it is more of a shop keepers holiday then a real holiday.
In fact although we are not Jewish I think their dates for holidays are more "Biblical" then what Madison Ave. tells us is a holiday.
If we ever did any holiday it should be Passover etc.
As I was sometimes raised as a JW the holidays never seem real to me, it is more of a day to spend over eating over drinking and getting stuff.
Not really very spiritual at all.
I wonder how our son will like Xmas in Japan, I know their way of enjoy the day is to go out to KFC and pig out on fried chicken, nothing says Christmas more then a bucket of KFC!
Enjoy your time away from HU and don't forget to bring back a packet of Ding-Dongs...No, not really a waste of good suitcase space!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Santa Claus, it would be something to see my husband take part in that! We really no longer ,"do" holidays. Never felt they were real or honest but went along with the program to please family.
We are now free, free at last from what society  thinks and we no longer care.
We do the day our way, could be buying presents one year and having a feast and the next year not even looking at the day and just eating simple foods and not caring what day it is.
We both know it is more of a shop keepers holiday then a real holiday.
In fact although we are not Jewish I think their dates for holidays are more "Biblical" then what Madison Ave. tells us is a holiday.
I wonder how our son will like Xmas in Japan, I know their way of enjoy the day is to go out to KFC and pig out on fried chicken, nothing says Christmas more then a bucket of KFC!
Enjoy your time away from HU and don't forget to bring back a packet of Ding-Dongs...No, not really a waste of good suitcase space!

KFC is best avoided. I've heard of that being popular in Japan but don't know why.  Odd it's the Christmas dish.

Never heard of Ding Dongs but having looked it up, it looks a little similar to what we called Wagon Wheels.   Apparently they are a technical challenge to make.

I haven't seen Ding Dongs hereabouts but good to know to look out for them as I'm sure the kids would like them.   To be less polite, the only Ding Dongs I've known are some of the people I've worked with.

You could always take Mr and Mrs Claus on as a winter job for fun. It flashed through my mind the movie Bad Santa.  Great movie btw and the little guy in it is excellent.

I personally think bah, humbug to holidays - I'd rather we would just do our own thing without those sorts of things being shoved in our faces.   Christmas isn't really my thing any more - in my world, everything shuts down for 2 or more weeks and one cannot get anything done but sometimes I like that it's all quiet for a period. Forces one to take it easy but it's a bit of a nuisance for timing if you've got a lot to do - particularly on the house.  The weather's usually terrible then,  it's all about excess and spending money - often on tat.

We no longer give presents even to each other or if we do give presents to someone, it's usually only for kids and for adults wine or something like that. Kids want more sophisticated things these days so best to just give them some money and they can buy what they want.