Best place in Brasil for an European to buy a new home

Hi, I just wonder what is the best place in Brasil for an European to buy a new home in. If one is interested in a quiet place on the hill with nice view, natural scenary but not too far from a city which would be confortable for a newcomer, which city/place it could be? I would be gratefull for an advice from anybody who settled down in Brasil already or who is from Brasil and know it well. My address is : [email protected]       Thank you so much. Denise

Hi Denise,

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread in the Brazil forum for better visibility.

I wish you good luck and i hope someone can advice you on the places.

Merry Christmas! :)
Christine

The only places suitable for an European to live in Brazil are the states of Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. These three states were more recently colonized and about 80% of the population is of european origins. Where from europe are you from exactly?

Curitiba is the capital of Paraná, and you can easily find "a quiet place on the hill with nice view, natural scenary but not too far from a city which would be confortable for a newcomer" at a miminum distance of 50km of Curitiba. Here's some information on the city: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curitiba
and some pictures of Curitiba: google.com.br/images?hl=pt-BR&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=472&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Curitiba+PR&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

It's also not far from the beach, you could go every know and then to "ilha do mel" (honey island) a beautiful place 100km far from Curitiba. Some picturs of "ilha do mel": google.com.br/images?hl=pt-BR&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=472&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=ilha+do+mel+PR&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

If you don't need a big city nearby, but only a good, well structured city, do check the cities of Gramado and Canela and all the region of the "serra gaucha" on the state of Rio Grande do Sul. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serra_Ga%C3%BAcha

Bento Gonçalves is a lovely place to live, it's considered by many to be the wine capital of Brasil: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento_Gon%C3%A7alves,_Rio_Grande_do_Sul
Pictures: google.com.br/images?hl=pt-BR&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=472&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=bento+gon%C3%A7alves+RS&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Gramado is well known by it's chocolate production: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramado
Here are some pictures of the city: google.com.br/images?hl=pt-BR&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=472&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=gramado+RS&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Canela is famous for it's hills, waterfalls and beautifull view:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canela
Some more pictures: google.com.br/images?hl=pt-BR&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=472&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=canela+RS&aq=f&aqi=g6&aql=&oq=

Nova Petropolis is also a lovely place to live, and it's only 100km distant form the capital od the state, Porto Alegre: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Petr%C3%B3polis
Pictures: google.com.br/images?hl=pt-BR&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=472&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=nova+petr%C3%B3polis+RS&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

If you would like any more information on some of these places, I would be happy to help.

Denise,

There are lots of great places in Brazil I will suggest some I know the best in the State of Rio de Janeiro.

Mountain Towns.

Petrópolis, also known as The Imperial City of Brazil, is a town in the state of Rio de Janeiro, about 65 km from the city of Rio de Janeiro. It's population is mostly comprised of German and Portuguese immigrants.

Nova Friburgo is located in the northern mountainous region of the state, 136 km from its capital Rio de Janeiro. It was settled by Swiss emigrants from the canton of Fribourg Switzerland. It is know for its Chocolate and Cheese artisan shops.

Beach Towns.

Búzios often referred to as Armação de Búzios as well. It is located 169 km northeast of Rio de Janeiro, has become a  French tourist destination since it was popularized by legendary movie star Brigitte Bardot in the 1960s.  The town is a bit expensive to buy but is a beautiful and safe place to live.

Paraty (or Parati) is a world heritage preserved historical city. It was founded by Portuguese immigrants located on the Costa Verde (Green Coast), a lush, green corridor that runs along the coastline of the state of Rio de Janeiro. Paraty has become a popular tourist area in recent years, renowned for the historic buildings the coast and mountains in the region.