Anything to share about Zihua?

HI......not sure if this is the correct thread ....but new to expat. Moving to Zihuatanejo in August. I see lots about the usual suspect destinations but nothing on Zihua....anyone have any comments or suggestions about Z?

Thanks

Allen

Hi Allen and welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Mexico forum so as to help you to get more responses to your query.

What would you like to know exactly about Zihua? Maybe if you ask more precise questions, members will be able to guide you in a better way. ;)

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Search for the Zihua Ixtapa message board for lots of locals

Thanks for the responses. As I said, new to this not sure how to navigate.....a suggestion was made as the "message board" for Zihua.....how do I get there......thanks!

I should have said Google rather than search

http://www.zihuatanejo.net/tablero/

Great! Thanks

There are lots of search engines. Google is not the only one.

Allen, I hope you're fond of sweating and bugs. Most Mexicans do not live on coastal areas with reason.

Yep.....like them both!!!! Thanks for getting back w me

I have only visited - tourist beach scene, not my cuppah - but I should warn you about Guerrero. None of this might affect you but 1) it is very earthquake prone and 2) it s a VERY troubled zone in terms of organized crime, drugs, etc. So maybe dont commit too deeply at first. Go to the little anthropological museum near the beach, they can direct you to a fascinating recently excavated archaeological site outside of town with a nice museum, and a nice guy eager to talk to you - for free. It is a good adventure.

Hi and thanks.....I spent a week there about 3 months ago and loved the bay front area...I did go to the museum but not the site you mentioned...will check that out. I have a 3-4 month rental of a condo overlooking the bay.....looking right down on the beach with a great breeze off the bay. Can't wait! Thanks mucho for your suggestions!

Allen

Ok, that is fine - if it is just for a few months you can see how it is. You said "moving" - so that concerned me. Be careful. I went to the site by public transportation - I think there is a bus then you pay a guy  - But on the way back I got back to the bus in truck full of archeology students, and we stopped at another site. It was cool but the weather was hot! Have a good time but watch your back....

Hi, Allen,
I live in Zihua and have been here for over 20 years and in Mexico in general for over 40. If you like the beach and enjoy tropical hot weather most of the year, Zihua is beautiful and has a lot to offer. It's not a large, bustling tourist area like Puerto Vallarta or Cancun, though, nor does it attract much of the spring break type crowd, but that's not what we're looking for at this point of our life! We do have a fairly large community of retired expats, surfers come through for the good surf breaks close to Zihuatanejo, and the place also attracts a lot of destination wedding groups and Mexican tourism. By the way, the Ixtapa portion of Ixtapa Zihuatanejo, which is the planned tourist resort area with high-rise hotels and golf courses, lies several kilometers to the north of Zihuatanejo, so if you don't like the high-end tourist scene, it's easy to ignore. We tend to stick to Zihutanejo itself and go to Ixtapa only when necessary.

The natural settings of the bay and the beaches to the north and south of us are spectacular. If you get tired of the heat and humidity, Patzcuaro and Morelia are only a 3 to 3-1/2 hour drive up into the hills of Michoacan, so spending an occasional weekend in the mountains isn't at all difficult. We love to go up there and wander around the villages looking at the crafts, but we're always happy to get back home, too.

Zihua is low-key, and even though there are lots of touristy things to do if you're a visitor, those who live here permanently enjoy the company of their friends, hanging out with a good book, or indulging in some favorite water sport or hobby more than going out and "being entertained" on the town.  There are fundraisers to support the local indigenous children, art exhibits and book readings down at the small archaeological museum, and a growing community of locals who support ecological endeavors and our small Saturday farmer's market. We have an annual Zihua Sailfest fundraiser as well as the International Zihuatanejo Guitar Festival every spring. If you like fishing, you'll love it here.

As for security, yes, this state has some heavy problems and there have been occasions when it's been advisable to stay off the streets at night. We don't frequent doubtful parts of town. We travel the highways only by day (anywhere in Mexico), keep our eyes open, and use common sense. Any violent activities in the area have not been random, and it's not the expats who are targeted in the turf disputes. We feel safer here than when we travel to our places of origin. As for petty thievery that might happen anywhere... realize that you're in a country that is not your own and that there is much poverty... be respectful to those who don't have what you have, and don't be ostentatious with your belongings. Leave your jewelry and extra cash at home; don't take it to the beach.

This, of course, is just my view of Zihuatanejo... I live here, I love it, and I feel extremely fortunate to be part of the community.

Carol

By the way, Allen, be aware that by arriving in August you'll hit the absolute height of the rainy season... September and the beginning of October bring the most frequent and torrential tropical rain storms, often with dramatic thunderstorms and a somewhat sopping atmosphere.  It can rain for a few days at a time if there's a storm offshore, so be patient during your first month or so here. Once we're over the worst of the rains, it becomes glorious...

Nice posts. Yep, that is rain time....Is it really that close to Patzcuaro? I arrived on very funky buses and not directly from there, so it seemed very far away! A car is certainly helpful but that advice is good: no driving at night in Mexico! Except maybe on the big toll roads. Patzcuaro is wonderful, I love it and would live there except for the cold and damp. But better to visit when the rains are coming to an edn. I spent October there once, not a lot of rain but a lot of cloudy days. If you have a car you can more easily explore other areas and have a great time. But inform yourself first concerning back roads, in any area where there is a lot of cartel activity. Locals and long timers should know. Hope it goes well! Looks like you have a great connection in Mexzihcan!

I've lived in Pátzcuaro a long time. Best to avoid. Cold and dank most of the year. Brrrrrr!

it is a wonderful place to visit - beautiful, lots of culture - but that climate is just not suited to my body, unfortunately!

Carol, your info on Zihua was outstanding.  But I have to query you on cartel shakedowns on the businesses there.  Is it common?  I would think you would hear about it if you've spent so much time there. 
Do you own property there? 
If so, has it appreciated much in the last few years when crime has increased? 
And if one were to now sell the types of properties that have been popular with expats would the buyer most likely be another expat or a local?

Hi Norman, after reading your various posts, here are my comments.

Places to live:
1- all known coastal cities will be flowing with foreigners (snowbirds, vacations) during winter months, central areas could also have many foreigners (SMA, Ajijic)
2- small remote areas exist but someone has to speak Spanish ad blend in the community

Security:
1- all places have risks just like in Canada and the USA
2- Zihuatanejo has change overtime but cartels were there in the 90s, I have a friend who was living and disliked the increasing number of shooting so he is moving to Huatulco but still touristy in winters

How to decide:
1- anyone should travel and visit Mexico numerous times and different periods of the year
2- my wife and I travelled Mexico since 1993 every year, RVing 2003 to 2013 6 months a year, renting 2014 to 2016 6 months a year before making the move to reside permanently in Mexico as of August 2017 (we are Canadians and considered as non residents of Canada for Revenue Canada and no canadian healthcare coverage anymore).
3- after visiting the majority of Mexico, we decided to move in La Penita de Jaltemba (Nayarit coast), Mexican neighborhood but accepted that during 4 to 5 months, we would ear quite a bit of English.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.