Internet Provider in MQ

Hi! I recently moved to Muscat but still staying at a hotel until my accommodation is ready. What is the fastest internet provider around MQ area? And how long do I have to wait from date of application? Thanks!

Hi Medway,

In Oman, until last week, there were only 2 main internet service providers - 'Omantel', the quasi government entity, and 'Ooredoo' (the erstwhile 'Nawras'), a private, international partnership operator. They both provide home broadband services.

Since last week, a fast emerging MVNO 'renna mobile' has launched their 4G services for its users across the Sultanate. Obviously this would be only for handheld devices.

Also now there is a brand new player 'Awasr' who is launching their most advanced 'fibre optic' internet services in a phased manner. MQ area is one of their high priority set-up zones. But for this new service provider to become the preferred internet service provider of choice, it could take awhile.

Amongst the readily available ones, Omantel is the best by far. Their tariff and package options are good. For R.O. 20/- users are provided 'unlimited' internet. Speeds are good.

Ooredoo is reasonably good. But only In bits and bobs, though. Their home broadband service is not very robust, or reliable. I can vouch for that. Even after months of going back and forth the issue could not be resolved. Finally, congestion in my neighbourhood was stated as the possible reason and cause.

Once you decide where you are going to stay, check with your neighbours which service provider / connection is better around there. That would be the safest bet.