Is It worth bringing my car to malta from uk

Is It worth bringing my car to Malta from UK

How much will it cost, I can get a container but does it cost to release it .

Hope some one can help me.

Thanks.

have you owned car for two years?
if no then probably not

if yes then  you can get shipping but your looking between 650 - 1000 euro to ship it over - then you would need to register it  in malta within 30 days and apply for the exemption for import tax

robpw2 wrote:

have you owned car for two years?

would need to register it  in malta within 30 days and apply for the exemption for import tax

I think this was changed to 20 days last summer

Good Afternoon..... thank you for your message.

I have only owned my car about a year.

Could I get it over if i Have a Traders Licence

Thank you

I doubt that would make any difference whatsoever. A licence for almost anything in the UK would have no standing here. As far as I know even Maltese motor traders have to pay the registration fee if they import a vehicle.

Ray

As long as you do not register residence in Malta, you can use the car with foreign plates (especially when you are self employed and the car is registered to your foreign company), even with the temporary plastic plates. Advantage is, that most wardens and even police does not know the applicable law and you might even benefit from not receiving tickets due to the foreign plates  :)
Though this procedure is not the correct way, it's not illegal ... and a lot of foreigners use this loophole to save the registration tax.

If you are employed or self employed here you are considered resident. If you are a resident you can not drive a foreign registered car!

matm911 wrote:

As long as you do not register residence in Malta, you can use the car with foreign plates (especially when you are self employed and the car is registered to your foreign company), even with the temporary plastic plates. Advantage is, that most wardens and even police does not know the applicable law and you might even benefit from not receiving tickets due to the foreign plates  :)
Though this procedure is not the correct way, it's not illegal ... and a lot of foreigners use this loophole to save the registration tax.

What you are suggesting is illegal, you are required by law to apply for residency if you stay longer than 3 months and if you work in Malta you cannot be a tourist and as a resident you cannot drive a foreign registered car.

You are doing no one any favours by inciting them to break the law in their host country.

Terry

Not illegal when your company is registered in any other EU country (where it is taxable). The car must be registered to and therfore is property of this company - and then it does not even matter if the individual driver is resident in Malta or only a temporary worker. Corporate laws, even as registered freelancer, are much more flexible here than in any other EU contry.

Terry, do you really think the Maltese authorities are that stupid and have no control over all foreign plated cars (UK or Libyan or whatever ...) and cannot do anything against it ?

btw, the above (simplified explained) procedure was suggested from Maltaenterprise as part of the relocation package of a company to Malta - and this is possible due to the efforts to attract foreign investment/capital to Malta.
As archipelagic state Malta has negotiated quite many exceptions to common EU rules/laws and bilateral agreements before joining the union ... and afterwards.
e.g. when I get another job working abroad, as freelancer I only have to pay less than 5% income tax (in this case IRD administration fee for expat tax scheme) - this is legal and a very very big advantage of having a residence in Malta.

However, if you are living in Malta working employed, or student, or pensioner etc. the best is to either pay the registration tax for your imported car or sell your car and buy another one in Malta - there are plenty of them available here  :)

Hi everybody,

As a note : Please make sure that we are suggesting genuine solutions on the forum that will really help members.

Thank you for your contribution :)

Priscilla

TBH no its not....far too much hassle unless its a car you are really attached too I would sell it in the UK and buy over here......we brought our Lexus over and ended up shipping it back to the UK for 350 euros and selling it there where we got the right price for it....mind you we did have an awesome journey over with it all through Europe on a ten day jolly lol