Scooters 50cc-125cc Italian license B in Malta

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to understand how to drive a scooter up to 125cc in Malta. I'm italian and I have a B driving License which allows me to drive scooters up to 125cc.
In Malta is not possible to drive 50cc neither 125cc with my license. I'm talking to italian expats which had the same problem as me.
I don't want to convert my italian license to a maltese one because I want to keep it with me in case I move to another country whenever I decide.
How people did to get a 125cc ?
After how much time since they arrived in Malta ? Why if it is an European permit, we have to convert it ? Did you wait 185 days before getting a maltese license?

Many thanks
Giulia

The rules regarding driving a scooter under 125cc on a car licence are different in Individual countries and here you would have to do 10 hours of theory lessons before being able to use the scooter on a car (B) licence.
As regarding exchanging your licence it is a legal requirement to exchange your licence after 6 months but in practice Transport Malta don't worry too much and in fact they told me not to bother till it was due to expire anyway. The problem with that is that no two officials think the same here so you could risk prosecution, although a warning would be more likely.

Thank you. I also tried to imagine what would happen if I say that I've lost my italian driving license B and Transport Malta replied to me this:

''If the foreign EU licence is lost, this can still be exchanged to a Maltese driving licence. The applicant must provide Declaration Form – VEH39 (provided from Transport Malta);

Upon confirmation from the foreign country to grant the Maltese licence, Transport Malta will then notify the applicant to proceed to Paola or Lija accordingly and finalize the process and settle the payment''

Now, I've recently renewed my italian license because it is going to expire in April. I'm afraid that if I apply for a Maltese License, Transport Malta would notify it to the Italian Offices and they will invalidate my Italian license. So what would happen is that if I go to Italy in the future they would not recognize my italian license anymore, just the maltese one.
I know that it is quite impossible, but I'd like to keep my italian license in case I move in one year (for example) and wont come back to exchange it again (which I think it would take ages).

I will talk with a motorcycle shop.

What about a moped ? Is there any rules to follow ? ^^

What did you do then? You didn't exchange your  license but you drive scooters ?

I have full 'A' category on my licence anyway.
Your licence is valid in any EU country but whatever country you are living in that is where it has to be registered as it must show you current address.

@F0xgl0ve
No, there is no requirement to show the current address on your license. That field (No 8) is not mandatory. Only some EU countries use this field (Malta seems to do, though). You can continue to use your previous EU/EEC-license until it expires, if it doesn't have an address printed on it. Not sure if Italian licenses do use the address field. Google image search isn't conclusive.

@Jiulie91
Unless you did the full A1 license back in Italy, there is no way for you to legally drive a 125cc scooter in Malta without exchanging your license. But I don't see the problem of exchanging it: you won't lose anything. You can still ride 125cc scooters when you visit Italy. And when you move elsewhere, you just take your Maltese license with you and use it wherever you move to.
If you exchange your license, your Italian license will be send back to Italy. But as I said, there is not need to change back to the Italian license when you leave Malta. You just keep your Maltese license. And if you move back to Italy and want an Italian license, you can just exchange it in Italy. No need to go to Malta first.

In the UK you do need your address on your licence, also the post is several months old.

But Jiulie91 has an Italian licence.

TJGermany wrote:

I was just answering the post about having your address on the licence I am quite aware that Julie had an Italian licence but as she posted at the beginning of the year there's not much point going on
about it.

TJGermany wrote:

But you stated that you do not have to have your current address on your licence, that may be the case in Germany but it is not true of all EU countries, including the UK and Malta.
The purpose of this forum is to try and assist other members, not to try and pick holes in other answers!

GozoMo wrote:
TJGermany wrote:

but as she posted at the beginning of the year there's not much point going on
about it.

Well, maybe she's still in the process of deciding. I mean, a lot was going on after end of February, so maybe it's still relevant for her.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
TJGermany wrote:

But you stated that you do not have to have your current address on your licence, that may be the case in Germany but it is not true of all EU countries, including the UK and Malta.

Right so. But only because you're living in Malta doesn't mean your license suddenly has to show the address as well. So it doesn't mean that you have to change your license for a Maltese (or UK, if moving to the UK) one if yours doesn't show the address.  Your EU license stays valid until it expires. Of course, unless your old license shows an address, which - as stated before by you - would become incorrect, thus 'invalidating' the license. Regardless of what Maltese authorities do in reality (e.g. 'keep yours without changing').

The purpose of this forum is to try and assist other members, not to try and pick holes in other answers!

Sorry, this wasn't my intention. I just wanted to clear something up.

However, back to the original topic, it probably wasn't even legal to extend the license back in Italy if the residence was already in Malta (this is different for EU/EEC-issued licenses and non-EU/EEC licenses). It should have been exchanged to a Maltese one when extending it. With the Italian license there is now no chance of legally riding a 125cc scooter in Malta, not even if Jiulie would decide to get the A1 (or directly A2/A) class license back in Italy, which would be illegal due to current residency in Malta.

Only options now:
1) Change for a Maltese license and do the simplified course for 125cc bikes
2) Change for a Maltese license and get a full A1/A2/A license with training and exams