In retrospect, would you move again to the Dominican Republic?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Dominican Republic, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Dominican Republic so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

The question creates another question...How I got here was pretty much a fluke, a much needed vacation, a conversation with a friend who's son was a diplomat here for 2 years, an invitation from her to visit.  I never took her up on her offer.   All these things had an influence on where I was going to vacation a few years later.  That is how the idea was planted in my mind and came to pass.  I came (as the story goes) met a Dominican man and after several additional visits that year, I made arrangements for him to come to the United States on a fiance visa..(marriage in 3 months or return he must).
Why did I remain here is the second part of the question?
Through 7 or 8 of the "married years",  We returned several times and decided to buy a home here to retire to or just spend some of the winter months here in the DR.  Year 7 in the States was a disaster for the real estate business that I had been in for almost 30 years. So it seemed that the way to go was start all over again in a new place, with new faces and without the husband. 
Life began at 67 and it has been a never ending experience of new things, new customs, new friends and the implementing of some of the "old skills".  It always keeps you on your toes...and I'm a dance addict...so this is where I can shine on most days..The country has so many things to offer, not only the sunshine, beaches and scenic views but most of the people are pleasant and fun to be around.  I find that the Haitian woman who sells me vegetables and fruits from her wheel barrel or from a basket perched on her head, to the handyman who can fix a leak, cut the grass, explain all the different flora, and all for a small price.. It is always a learning experience.  I try not to compare how it was back where I came from, to what and how it is here because it will not ever happen...at least not in my lifetime.  So I accept things as they are and go with the flow.  As much as I think that there is no system or if there is it's antiquated and outdated, there really is a system and getting through it is sometimes frustrating but it's there so I accept that.  Makes life easier. 
This is my home and the only time I leave is to visit my family in the States.  The country keeps be focused on how I spend my days..I can sit on my patio and there is always someone passing by to share a cup of coffee and some conversation...A walk on the Costambar Playa...there are beach dogs who need attention and help to having better lives...There is a good friend who is putting together a "business cafe" from all her knowledge she acquired  while living in this country for 12 years...and I hope to help her and promote some of my sales skills in selling,buying and managing real estate... there are people who come and reserve my Studio's for a few days, weeks or months...so I get to know people from all over the world..there are lessons I take in Spanish to learn the language and practicing is always fun...gesturing, pulling out the book or the cell phone translation app, is only one of the many challenges you'll face daily.  Answering your question...Would I move here again..the answer is...I'm here,  it is so good,  I wouldn't move away... Where would I go?  I live in Paradise...

I first came here with a woman who made the claim that she had a pension and owned her own home.  I had had an ad on Craigslist looking for a lady to share life with. I stated that I have a pension and the approximate amount and was looking for a mature lady who also had a pension because I had found it very tight living in Panama alone on my USA Social Security.  A lady answered my ad saying she was a retired MD from the Dominican Republic and as such had a pension and owned her own home in the DR.  We met in Boston MA.  We moved to La Vega and I soon discovered that both were lies. She had no pension and the house was not hers. It belonged to her brother, she had been living in it free, but he said if I were to live there I would have to pay $300 a month.  So I moved on and out.  I found a small restaurant that needed someone to manage it.  I put a Haitian lady on cooking for me. She also cleaned my apartment and washed my clothes.  She asked for 8000 pesos a month so that is what I paid her.  After paying her and eating the restaurant produced about $10.00 USD per day on average. Open from 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM 7 days a week.  Selling only drinks after 8:00 PM.  I returned to Boston for the summer and when I got back in September the restaurant was no longer available (of course.)  SO I started doing a bit of airport pick up etc.  Every month I think of going back to living with my family in Tennessee. Two brothers and I built a house for our mother there 29 years ago. It has grown over the years and there is now a small apartment outback waiting for me should I choose to live there.  Two brothers and the wife of one of them live with our mother who is now 91 years old.  But i wold miss the warm weather and the beaches and the little brown girls on the beach and everywhere else in the DR.  So for now I am still here.
Those are the ramblings of one 70 year old retired goat.

This is the first time I have posted on this site but I want you to know just how much your words have meant to me.    I, too, have the same friend as you, who I love very much, and I have definitely been giving serious thought to starting a new chapter in my book of life in the DOminican Republic.     I was very fortunate to spend three months this year in the DR and there is no doubt in my mind that I healed both emotionally and physically while I experienced life in that beautiful country.   If I do make this enormous life-changing decision to move to the DR, I fully realize that there will be so many challenges and adaptations to a different way of living.      Perhaps more challenges than I can imagine but then I have never backed away from a challenge in life.    I knew after my three months in the DR that my life had changed and that the DR felt more like home to me than my home in Canada.     We shall see what the coming year brings to my world.   Thank you so much for your insight on living in the Dominican Republic.

elizab484 welcome to the forum and it sounds like the DR may "fit" for you.

Bob k

Thank you Bob. Much thinking and many decisions to be made

And in fact might be worth it!!!   At some point, after all the thinking and planning, you have to take a leap of faith.......   :)

Yes indeed it very well might be worth taking that huge leap of faith😋

Hey all

My husband and I just took that leap of faith. After living and working 27 years in NYC, both in jobs that pretty much required 24/7 attention, we "moved" to DR this past Saturday. We believe this is where we want to be, but are keeping all options open. So far, day 4 in and we are very happy. Our 3 cats may even be happier than we are! But we have a friend in town until tomorrow so we are probably still in the "we are on vacation" mentality. But I hope we can post in this conversation sometime down the road with some real time experience from living here. Thanks to all who contribute for their great information.

Planner I will reach out re: insurance
Bob K- Had a dentist appointment with Monica Garcia yesterday and loved her!

Thanks again

Welcome to paradise.......

Hi everyone,

We had been researching and learning about the DR for the past 3 to 4 years.   Everything seemed a perfect fit for my wife and I to one day retire in this beautiful country. Last summer we came and spent a month in Cabarete/Sosua region and absolutely loved it.  That is all it took, along with meeting with Bob K, his lovely wife and some other new friends to solidify our decision that this was it for us. We then forged full speed ahead with our plan that one day we would come and live in this beautiful paradise. We secured a beautiful lot in a nice gated community, built the villa of our dreams and as I write this sitting on my terrace by the pool, enjoying the view of Mount Isabel de Torres, I still have to pinch myself that this is ours.  Although we are only here for 3 weeks and will need to return to Canada as retirement is only two years away, I know that time flies and we will be back to live here permanently in no time. The DR has already won my heart and I feel this beautiful country is home!

Mike

ns1437 glad  you liked Monica.  Do keep up posted on your "transition", welcome and we look forward to your active participation on the board.

Bob K

Mike so glad it is working out for you.  I am sorry that I am stuck in the US at the moment on a family emergency and probably wont get back in time so see you this trip.  Pat is at home so give her a call.

Bob K

Thanks Bob K!

We haven't even been here a week yet, but have already experienced 3 power outages (lasting no more than a few minutes each) and also totally messed up on a communication with the dentists office. Lets just say I went to Sosua and sat in the waiting room for a minute, before finding out I misunderstood the date of my second appointment. LOL. But we are loving it all. Just adds to the new adventure! And I hope all is OK with your family emergency Bob. Looking forward to maybe having a drink with you when you are back.

Count on it!

Bob K

Sorry to hear Bob,  hope all will be okay!   

Communications snafus -  that is the new normal. Even if you heard perfectly well it might not be right......LOL.    Power outages -  your second new normal...... 

You will adjust to it all!   You have a good attitude.

where are you from

Another chance since this thread is almost a year old who are you asking about???

Bob K