No impediment to marriage certificate.

My Vietnamese friend will be traveling to Norway soon to get married and has been told she needs this No impediment to marriage paper, but try as we might we cant find nowhere or know one in Vietnam who issues this paper and are just getting the run around from office to office.
Could someone who has faced this issue before know of the place where it can if possible be got or know what happens if it cant be got.
She does have the paper saying she is single but apparently that's not enough. Thanks.

Hi Im from kerala in india and had to go through some hassles for this last yr.tht persons village office municipality will b able to issue it.im not sure how in vietnam.after getting it it has to get attested or apostiled.

the Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage is a legal,  government-issued  document thats says a person is free to marry.. in most countries, this is acquired from the National Registry of the person's nationality. .. For Norway nationals, this is acquited from Skatteetaten... other nationalities, yoi have to check this with the National Registry.. The national registry is in charge of the country's citizen's records (birth, death, marriage, etc)... I dont know where you get this in Vietnam, maybe the same place where your National Id is issued,  or where you get copies of birth certificates.. they always are from the same place. ..

you mentioned a paper that says she is single. . is this issued by a government agency/department in Vietnam? since vietnam is not ratified by the Haag convention, you may have to legalize the document in order to be recognized outside Vietnam (therefore, Norway).. please click here for further details : Apostille-and-legalisation

hope this helps. .. :)

does Vietnam has a Registrar of Marriage where you can search for marriage record?  if yes, you can ask them for a search record for your partner.  Once you receive the letter from them confirming that there is no marriage record for your partner, bring the letter to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Vietnam to notarize the letter.  Only when the letter is notarized, Norwegian government will treat it as a legal document.  This letter can then be used as Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.

I did it for mine and I am from Singapore.  In Singapore, they don't issue Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage either.

Thanks, that seems at least a way but I fear it wont work, there for sure is no central registry and when you ask at local level they have no idea as to what you are talking about. They will give you the paper to say she is single and can get it notarized but the  No I to MC not a chance.
I am a third party in this  and am just a friend trying to help a Vietnamese lady, it may well be like you in Singapore and that its just not possible to obtain this document in Vietnam, so what I did yesterday was write on her behalf a letter to the Norwegian Embassy in Hanoi and ask had they come across this problem before can they help etc and we will see what happens, it is a worry though, in fact it may well be easier if we could get some confirmation from someone that it is not possible, at least then we could proceed further. Thanks.

For those interested and for anyone's  future reference I have received a reply from the embassy in Hanoi and I have copied below, 3 and 4 seems a bit ott but there we are and thanks for the help given.

The document the Vietnamese citizen will have to present is called «Marital Status Certificate». It will be issued by the People's Committee in the district where she has registered her residence in Vietnam.

The certificate will have to be legalized prior to presentation to the relevant Norwegian authorities.

In order to legalize a Vietnamese document for use in Norway

1.            The original document, with stamp and signature by the issuer, must be translated to English by an authorized translator.

2.            The original document and translation must be stamped by Notarius Publicus, who certifies the stamp and signature of the issuer and translator

3.            The document must be legalized by Vietnam's Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hanoi or Department of Foreign Affairs in Ho Chi Minh City.

4.            The document must be verified by the Norwegian Embassy in Hanoi or the Norwegian Honorary Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City, who verifies the stamp and signature of the relevant Vietnamese authority