How to get insurance and Buy a car in Norway w/out a D Number?

Hi All.

First post here...

So I no live in Norway, I drove my UK car here, have now decided to stay so will bringmy car back to the UK at the beginning of August.

I called a Norwegian Insurance company to get an idea of how much it costs here, they said that I could not get insured with them as I wasn't on the national register.

There must be a way around this?

I have applied for residency here now, last week, but it is holidays so I have no idea how long the process will take.

I have money enough to buy a car and get insured, but can I physically buy a car without a D number at least? Can anyone give me advice one how to go about buying a car and getting insured prior to being fully registered here?

BR
Evan

You can not buy a car without being registered in the public register system, because when you buy a car you will receive your vehicle registration from the traffic station and all the information, like name, address etc are pulled from the public register. The only workaround is if you have a family member who is registered here, then they can buy the car in their name.