Environmental protection in Vietnam

..so we're friends again..?     :unsure         ..why am I worried.....??

eodmatt wrote:

Thanks. Now try reading that which you write  - even better try thinking before you write it. "LOL"

so point out where I spoke about walking away because poor people do not care? these are your words.

Bazza139 wrote:

We have no friends, merely acquaintances. We tread this vale of tears following our own paths, after the great Robbie Burns and his emotive poem Greenlands Icy Moutains.

cossmo wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Thanks. Now try reading that which you write  - even better try thinking before you write it. "LOL"

so point out where I spoke about walking away because poor people do not care? these are your words.

If you are unable to understand that about which you yourself wrote, I regret that I am unable to assist you.  :)

eodmatt wrote:
Bazza139 wrote:

We have no friends, merely acquaintances. We tread this vale of tears following our own paths, after the great poet McGonnagal and his emotive poem: Greenlands Icy Moutains.

eodmatt wrote:
cossmo wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

If you are unable to understand that about which you yourself wrote, I regret that I am unable to assist you.  :)

that's because you can't. so much for education and books eh?

Just use a bit of child play on that idiot
Ignore him,,,,dead set idiot.
Should see same of the crap he has dished up to me away from here
Apparently my name is Margerat
I drink to much cheap vodka
I am uneducated
Need to admit to myself that i need medical help
But when i asked him to say it to my face he cowered.
Got old fashioned idiot....can just see him at school being the social out cast.
But its not him....of course its evryone else
Be a good day when he finds a few of those land mines with his feet

Heading off topic now.

The topic of this thread is Environmental protection in Vietnam.

Could we all get back on topic before admin take notice.

One of the problems of environmental protection in the south of Vietnam right now is that sea water is said to be backing up the rivers and the salt content is killing rice and other crops.

This seems to be the case in our local creek in which nearly all of the plant life - long grasses in the margins, lily pads and lotus plants in many places have all died in the last few weeks.

Local people tell me that this is because a dam was built in China a few years ago which is now restricting the flow of the Mekong and other rivers so that the increase in sea levels caused by global warming, is forcing sea water back up the rivers.

I don't know how true this is and had some doubts about sea levels rising anyway since, when I was in the Solomons a couple of years ago, certain installations built on the shoreline of the Western Province during WW2 could be seen to be subject to the same tidal effects as they did 75 years ago, i.e. the sea water levels didn't seem to have risen.

On Funafuti last year I could see that costal erosion had taken place in a couple of areas, but to my (admittedly no expert) eye, the erosion seemed to be a natural effect of the constant pounding of Pacific waves on a couple of areas of the Atol where the coral had been dug out to build an airstrip during WW2.

So, can any experts on EPDC give us the scoop on the sea water affecting South Vietnam?

As we already warned you guys to avoid being off topic, I had to remove a couple of posts from this thread

rather than listen to some tool's opinions. environmental initiatives and news can be found here:

http://www.monre.gov.vn/wps/portal/english

how much money get's allocated for real programs is yet to be seen compared to what is reported, just as any local vietnamese and they will tell you first hand.

cossmo wrote:

rather than listen to some tool's opinions. environmental initiatives and news can be found here:

http://www.monre.gov.vn/wps/portal/english

how much money get's allocated for real programs is yet to be seen compared to what is reported, just as any local vietnamese and they will tell you first hand.

..best advice (so far)...

Indeed, some very good info, thanks cossmo.

fredaussie wrote:

Hand full of people trying to change the ways of 90+ million!!! GET REAL

Next time you're found
With your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned
So look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes
He's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie
In the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low
'Stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call
And your back's to the wall
There a lot to be learned
That wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

'Cause he had high hopes
He had high hopes
He had high apple pie
In the sky hopes

So any time your feelin' bad
'Stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops, there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems are just a toy balloon
They'll be bursting soon
They're just bound to go pop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop, kerplop

ralphnhatrang wrote:

...forest rangers look the other way while illegal loggers cut down the forests....

While others are killed by the illegal loggers, when they attempt to stop them.  Surely you've read about those cases as well?

every country and people can learn from other countries - re littering, garbage disposal and recycling, as well as the general attitude toward pollution and protecting the environment, that can't be a bad thing

нужно всех пересадить с мопедов на велосипеды

. These images are of the Bronx in the US, is Vietnam any worse?    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=th … ;FORM=IGRE   Good advice TM, iv'e deleted most of my blab

@sony2sony

Please post in ENGLISH only.

I'm a land owner along a river in California today, about a mile of river front. 40 years I've watched environmentalist cause wholesale development of lands by driving off loggers, ranchers, miners almost any original land owners by heavy handed regulation. The only buyers of the land are developers. Now there are houses and shopping centers where there was once open land and wildlife. Thank you stupid environmentalist newcomers who know less than anyone how to preserve nature. I was in Vietnam all of 1966. Going to Quy Nhon soon for first time since then. But I'll stay out of their business. In the long run nosy environmentalist will ruin Vietnam too if they have their way. Environmentalist never put up their money, they live off other people's money to do their dirty work. They are bringing America to its knees while enriching themselves with other people's money.

it's amazing how you еnglishspeaking care about everything and everywhere.
you would think more about themselves, about their problems, as if the Gulfstream did not cooled and Yellowstone did not wake up...

xxx soon you become expats at home)))))) thinking more about it....

xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please support in the proper language. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

As Viet Nam becomes a richer country the trash will begin to disappear. The modern world exploded into VN with all the manufactured waste products, primarily plastic, and there was no facility to handle it. It gets thrown everywhere because there is no easy way to dispose of it  otherwise. One family I know used to sell the salvageable trash to an old lady who came around on her bicycle and then burned the plastic. The fumes were noxious and I counseled them against burning it.  Neither is it wise to randomly just bury it. Leaving it lying about on the surface pro tem is a much better way to handle it and more "environmentally friendly" if you will, until systems are in place to handle it . There has been garbage pickup in the cities for some time now. It is a private affair and little trucks go all about  picking up garbage left on the sidewalks in plastic bags and sorting it as they go in deals made with merchants and some householders. As government can afford these things  regular large scale garbage service is coming into use with large trucks on regular routes. This is one of those problems that all the well intentioned laws and rules in the world cannot fix. Prosperity will. As people leave the level of poverty and get used to not being poor they start to separate themselves and their environs from the trash. The water will get cleaned up to be safe in the same way. Most of the laws and the rules in USA came after the problems were mostly solved. It will happen that way here, too. Making a slew of laws and rules before the society can afford them only retards the prosperity that is necessary  to actually get it all cleaned up.

Really?

I think so

The 'Desiderata' tells us we run the risk of becoming vain or bitter if we compare our selves with others.   There are always better or worse than us.

But where would we be without our whingers?   There is no way anyone can be a perfect person, but there are infinite ways for us all to be better.  Duh!

Still, I agree, our suspicions of others are aroused by the knowledge we have of ourselves.            So we actually need those who (try to) denigrate others.   They paint a very accurate picture of themselves.   We are all each others mirror.

Besides, how much fun would we miss out on if not for those who prefer to watch and whine instead of getting off their bums and (really?) doing something to provide a solution.  The smaller the Trivia, the bigger the problem.   As is diverting our attention to reality.

So although Cafengocmy's post is as close to the real situation as we are likely to get for now, he also points to a positive future that will (logically) happen.  Tsk.   Where's the fun in deflating our ballooning egos?   Those with blind eyes and deaf ears have a lot more fun in comparisons.

The rest of us have to deal with the drudgery.    No wonder we are jealous.          :mad:

I am glad you are going back. Any old soldier with any concerns about what has become of the country should go back. My advice to such is always- go for a month. Take a tour that addresses some particular curiosity then go to the smaller towns. Get out of Sai Gon or Ha Noi. Get a room in Qui Nhon
or Rach Gia, or better, some place that has seen few foreigners. Walk about and talk to whoever speaks to you. A surprising number want to try out the English they all got in school. Stay out of the bars and do not hustle the women. You will learn a lot and it is good for the ego.

The sea level doesn't have to rise for the salt water to intrude farther up the riverbeds if the volume of fresh water is reduced. The river beds are below sea level and the river flow keeps the salt water pushed out. Reduce the pressure and the sea water advances up the river bed.

Environmentalists are trying to clean the rivers up of major pollutants.  The city is asking for the US, Japan, and a few other networks for help in restoring the rivers in order to ensure clean water for all.  That's a major concern of mine.  I'd love to be able to drink tap water again, but without a proper water filtration plant and save environmental conditions, I have to keep my water guy on speed dial. 

I just bought a bicycle ("push bike") and have been using that as much as possible instead of my motorbike.  I wish this would take trend among those that bike solo.  The fumes grows exponentially now and something needs to be taken care of.

Just recently I went to Singapore and found some amazing options for plastic containers.  Beautiful collections of terrariums can be made our of any plastic bottle.  Done correctly, you can hang them on a balcony or use them for herbs.  It's a great little project that many should contribute to.  I think if the locals had the capability to experience foreign environments, It would help have motivate the city to push forward in resolving environmental issues.

Teacher Mark wrote:
ralphnhatrang wrote:

...forest rangers look the other way while illegal loggers cut down the forests....

While others are killed by the illegal loggers, when they attempt to stop them.  Surely you've read about those cases as well?

And people in Vietnam are killed or injured  almost daily by unexploded ordnance left over from the war, a matter which is definitely an environmental problem. A problem that is being dealt with slowly (it can't be done quickly), by a number of agencies and includes awareness programs and at-risk community out reach programs as well as by direct action clearance programs.

The UXO problem - and a very much smaller, relatively speaking, landmine problem in Vietnam will take many years to tackle.

But then, although the bulk of the UK's landmine and UXO problem emanating from WW2, which ended over 70 years ago, were cleared after the war, at least one UXO per month still turns up on the UK mainland. There are two search teams still working in the UK to deal with UXO contamination in remote areas - places where the armies of many countries were trained during WW2.

In Belgium around 400 tons of chemical weapons alone are found and disposed of every year. The figure used to be in excess of 1000 tons per year, but with persistence and advances in detection technology, the annual figure of UXO dealt with in Belgium  has reduced considerably .

Environmental contamination problems of all kinds are endemic the world over. They can be tackled, but not by pretending that it is all too difficult. In this respect, whether the problem is illegal logging, refuse disposal, UXO clearance or water supply improvements and so on, Vietnam is no different to the rest of the world.

Whos_your_Addy wrote:

Environmentalists are trying to clean the rivers up of major pollutants.  The city is asking for the US, Japan, and a few other networks for help in restoring the rivers in order to ensure clean water for all.  That's a major concern of mine.  I'd love to be able to drink tap water again, but without a proper water filtration plant and save environmental conditions, I have to keep my water guy on speed dial. 

I just bought a bicycle ("push bike") and have been using that as much as possible instead of my motorbike.  I wish this would take trend among those that bike solo.  The fumes grows exponentially now and something needs to be taken care of.

Just recently I went to Singapore and found some amazing options for plastic containers.  Beautiful collections of terrariums can be made our of any plastic bottle.  Done correctly, you can hang them on a balcony or use them for herbs.  It's a great little project that many should contribute to.  I think if the locals had the capability to experience foreign environments, It would help have motivate the city to push forward in resolving environmental issues.

Interesting post, thanks. Where we live in D9 our water is clean, clear and chlorinated. I don't know how many pollutants such as nitrates, heavy metals and so on the water contains, so will get an analysis done soon. But the water quality is far superior here to the water quality we had in D7, where I had to change all our filters, including the ceramic filter every two weeks.

I have noticed that people here are starting to utilise empty water containers to grow plants in on patios and balconies so its catching on albeit slowly. The thing about the Vietnamese is that once you show them a new concept, they are all over it it a very short time. They are very ingenious with making things.

As for the bicycle, I think that you are very brave! If I need to go to D1 or D2 I take a taxi to a central point and then walk to where I need to go and then go home by taxi. One day spent in D1 is enough to fill my lungs with catarrh that takes a couple of days to clear. But the thought of weaving a bicycle through the traffic in those areas makes me cringe.

As for my wifes motorbike....... Nah, it's not for me. I used to love motorbikes when I was younger and spent years tinkering with them and driving all over UK on them (a Triumph Tiger Cub and an Arial 500), but the thought of riding in a shoal of bikes like a minnow in a shoal of piranha, makes me want to head for a bar.