Best cities to live in Oman

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Oman. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Oman.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

ghobra

My comments below could come as unexpected news and may be even information to many who may not be familiar (yet) with Oman ...

Oman has all of only about 3 to 4 ‘cities' at best. Muscat is the capital city and therefore is the most desirable of the lot. Muscat is a truly an advanced and a very cosmopolitan city. The second capital city of the Sultanate is Salalah bordering Yemen, a good 1,100 kms way down south.

Salalah is the summer capital of the Sultanate. Because of the monsoon clouds drifting across from India, past the Arabian Sea, the seasonal and dramatic ‘Khareef' phenomenon prevails in Salalah, with its nippy mist, steady drizzle and the delightful summer showers. During the same time, in the rest of the country, as well as in the entire Middle East region, the peak summer heat will be so oppressive and unbearable that it is very common for one to get roasted and barbecued alive !

The other ‘cities' of the Sultanate worth mentioning are Nizwa, Sur, and Sohar. Even these are not exactly ‘cities', in the true sense of the term, but in reality are nothing more than large towns. That is it.

In terms of job opportunities, most work would revolve in and around Muscat city mostly. Those involved in oil exploration and extraction could see themselves in remote desert pockets bordering Saudi Arabia, or the few ‘blocks' found in the central part of the country. While most ‘while collar' expats work in the capital region, there are also numerous expatriates who live and work pretty much all over the country. These would be mostly the ‘blue collar' workers.

Nowadays, job opportunities for expatriates have become seriously sparse, and certainly few and far between. This is on account of the government's uncompromising Omanisation drive that has lately been shifted to top gear.

Except Muscat, the cost of living would be comparatively lesser in general in all the other places. To experience and enjoy a better quality of life, except perhaps Muscat city, I seriously doubt if any expatriate can get it elsewhere. Yes, there are of course many who have spent scores of years living outside of Muscat. If one is willing to lead a life of compromise, in exchange for the opportunity to save some money, I guess it would then perhaps be possible. Certainly not otherwise.

In terms of location preferences, I would put Muscat right there on the top, followed by Salalah, Sohar, Sur, and Nizwa, in that order, if a new expat is ever given an opportunity to choose the place of his / her stay.

Job opportunities are there everywhere in Oman, the stress is on Oil & Gas and construction, yes of course every city has its own special flavor , culture and business coz you know Oman is 310,000 km square and has all kinds of terrain,mountains,rural areas characterized by vegitation and greenary and heavy rain as well as valleies and of course deserts and endless water boundaries ,,,,which make the difference in ecology ,environment , climate and way of life etc.I found Muscat a cosmopolitan city one can work,socialize and can live for 1000 RO a month or can chose more fancy places/cars and restaurants and live for 5000 RO a month. Good luck

Sohar is my best city in Oman

Sohar is good. Less busier and all facilities are present at hand. :cool:

salalah

In my opinion salalah is the best among all in oman

Salalah, undoubtedly.