Purchase of Phone

Hi folks, I know there's been a ton of conversations around phones in the DR. I scanned through a few conversations to get educated. A further question. When we arrive the "El Catey" airport, is there an "Orange" cell phone booth there that I can buy a cheap phone at? I will be using Skype, Facebook, and Viber to communicate with family & friends back home but want a phone to call tour operators & taxi drivers or emergencies etc. Who much can I expect to pay for a cheap phone and how many minutes would you recommend I get and how many pesos for all this?

Thanks very much :)

Not likely  an Orange dealer onsite.   You will need to go to a small town to do this.  Cheap phone -   10 to 20 US dollars.   Minutes - no idea how many you might use.  What most people do is  "recarga"  or buy minutes as you  use them up.  When you get the phone buy  300 or 400 pesos worth of minutes and then see how long they last.

Also how long you staying?  That makes a difference.   Don't buy too much as they do expire if you do not use them within 60 days or so. Each company is different and I do not know the details with Orange.

Hi Planner, we'll be there for 30 days. Thanks for the info., appreciate it!

Terry

Anytime honey!