T-Mobile

Anyone have experience with using them in the DR?

According to their website, they offer full coverage on the island. under the same plan I have here (US). If that's true that would be great for me to have one number while I am traveling back and forth over the next year between Santiago and Miami.

Thanks folks!

I dont know of anyone using this.  Hope someone knows.

I have T-Mobile and use it when in DR.  My plan has unlimited text and data.  Incoming calls are free.  Outgoing calls over wifi are free.  Roaming is at 20 cents a minute.  While there I set my phone to wifi calls only and have had no unexpected charges.

Thanks so much!

You might want to look into magicjack if T-mobile works only over WiFi calls only. $35.00 a year, I tall the app in your phone, and you are allowed a home unit as well if you have a router. I have used it for the past 8 years and have a Claro SIM card in my phone for local calls.

Love T-mobile for having international plan...data connection isn't great...but sufficient.  Great all over in North America AND Europe!  Also, no issues with billing...sadly, I have no coverage in my actual house. But, to T-Mobile's credit...they gave us a personal cell tower for free to solve that issue...now that they're merging with sprint, I am hoping for better connection speeds, etc.  No problems...

LOL...I too have horrible service in my home and use the same wifi calling I use in DR when in my US home.

I just discovered T-Mobile has a lower cost 55+ plan that also includes an International plan and saves a little each month.  Kind of bummed that it's been around almost a year and I didn't know.

Love T-Mobile.  Hope the Sprint deal doesn't change anything.

Thanks for the replies and info. I agree about the upcoming merger.

The 55+ plan is great. They have an even better plan for Veterans. I suggest all my fellow Vets (US) check it out. Actually its' for Vets, active duty, Gold Star families, etc.

Gotta love a company that shows love for Military families.

Anyone know how Sprint service is there?

Is so much better just get a new sim caed while youre here is not expensive. Usa services dont work very well here. Contact me if you need any intrucctions about it.

Yes it's easy to do go to any of the providers, buy a sim card, make sure phone is unlocked and you are good to go.

We did too, but the problem comes in when the internet is down and you don't know about it.  Wound up having a higher bill for that .20 min thing.  So, it just takes being careful in your home w/wifi.

yes thats,right.do you live here in santo domingo ?

My wife and I have Sprint's Open World Plan. It allows people from the US to call us where we are not charged ANYTHING EXTRA and we can call US - NOTHING EXTRA. We have unlimited Calls, data, messaging etc. It cost us $100 US (part of this cost is for 2 new S8 phones) for the both of US. We can also use our phones to call local DR phones - NO EXTRA. Before we moved to the DR we had Verizon but changed to the OPEN WORLD plan from Sprint so that we call family/ business etc from the US without worries. I'm an old phone company guy and trust me this is the best deal out there.

Good luck! John

No, we were staying in Las Terrenas