Moving to Dominican Republic is starlink better or claro

im moving to Dominican Republic and was wondering what's better for Internet. Is claro better (optic fiber) or starlink? I work from home so it's kinda important

Welcome to the forums.

This will depend where you are moving to and what's available. 

In some areas claro fiberoptic isn't available.  In some areas Starlink isn't a viable option.

Also depends on timing. Starlink is waitlisted currently.

Also another option for fiberoptic is Altice. I have it at home and office and I am very happy with it!

I don't think the StarLink waitlist is national...... certain areas

@jordancomas1 We have Starlink at home "Canada" and the waiting list for our "location address" was rather long, so we moved the "location" around till we found a spot that had no waiting list. Turned out that was 6 miles away strangely. That is not the billing location just the location of the use. We are very happy with Starlink at home in Canada. I see ads all the time for 50% off the equipment back home directly from Starlink, which makes it pretty affordable. Our Claro in Cabrera is really slow, as Planner said it depends on where you are! I think the Starlink service plan in The DR is 60 a month US, which I think is a fair deal as we never have outages with it or any issues and we blast it line of site to our other house. 2 for the price of one! Supporting local is good if it can offer what you need!

@jordancomas1 I'm asking myself the same question.

I have StarLink in Cabrera for about 2 months now...... very good.

Have it delivered where you want and then change the user address..... I did that

Delivered to Nagua where I picked it up

@planner I'm moving to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I'm not really worried about waitlist and from what I've seen, fiber and starlink are available.

@jordancomas1 FWIW Starlink is not yet available in many areas. Check the Starlink website, they have a map.

It may not 'be available'....... but it works here everywhere as far I know

@WillieWeb Do you have a secret method of getting one if Starlink has the area you live in on the wait list?

Yes.... I ship to an available area and pick it up there

Then change the 'service address' on the website..... boom - you're done

@WillieWeb1f606.svg Thanks!

One thing I will say is you need to get a battery back surge protector for Starlink, Even in Canada we had to get one since if you get 3 power spikes in a row Starlink will reset itself, and that is a pain. You dont need anything big I think we spent 180 cad for one to run everything

On StarLink, can the owner of the StarLink equipment resell it if they no longer need Starlink service?

@crabelramble yes, they do require approval for a transfer, but I've not heard of anyone having an issue with it. One thing to keep

in mind is that Starlink requires a cedula number on the account to get DR subsidized pricing, but I've also heard you can use anyone's number. Not sure if that is true as I used my own.