Driving to Belize in February...

From Austin, Texas. Mid/late February, in my Tacoma truck.
Will have room for 1-2 people, would like to share costs. Prefer people used to drive manual (stickshift) vehicles. Also, if anyone else is driving their vehicle down around that time, I'll be happy to caravan with you.
Take care, Happy Holidays!

Just a heads up.  If your truck is 2013 or newer, you will be paying $500 USD to Mexico to travel through.  If your truck is 2010 up to 2013, you will be paying $300 USD to travel through Mexico.  Ugh!  It's awful.  I think that was the age span of the auto and the charges.  Check it out first before starting out.

Any tax/fee for 2005 vehicle? 
Texitalian, lets keep in touch about caravan.
I am interested.

Thank you for the head's up. Mine is a 2006, don't own anything newer, lol...
... but yes, I knew about the transit taxes. And, since we have a Banjercito here in town, I will be doing all the paperwork ahead of time.

But, DO keep all the tips/trick coming! TY folks.

Came down in a 2006 in may all costs except about 75.00 cdn was refunded to my visa card

Hey, how you doing?  My name is Jude and my guy, Gary and I, are driving to Belize sometime in February as well.  We live there part time and are in the process of building a house on the Hummingbird Highway.  We hope to leave somewhere around the second week or so but everything is contingent on how Gary recovers from a severely broken leg that happened Dec 2nd.  If you are flexible on your departure I can talk to Gary and connect us all to talk about joining up.  We are driving a school bus from Grand Junction Colorado.  We usually cross the border in Brownsville.  Have you ever made the trip before?  We don't drive at night and take Highway 180 straight down the coast through Vera Cruz, Villahermosa to Chetumal.  Would you be interested?

Hi, I could only hope to leave in Feb. My ankle has been sprained. Not nearly as bad as a broken leg, but I still need to keep planning in. I looking for general info on what to expect. I will be driving from the East Coast. I would love a companion to drive with but that is not looking good either at this point. I am told that a car is pretty essential. Would you agree? Maribeth/bosen

Maribeth Bosen Where from the east coast are you driving from? please contact me @ *** , Thanks John & Lois Benge we might be interest riding with you if you have the room. Thanks again.

Moderated by Naomi 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details for security reasons.Please exchange them in private messages.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

The two times we drove to Belize we got our permit money back once we exited Mexico at the Belize border.  We even got it back in USD!!

I take it you have not been to Belize yet.  They have an extensive bus system run by private individuals.  Many of them import school buses from the US and use them for their transit line. It is very inexpensive to take the bus.  From Belize City to Belmopan is only $5.00 BZ which is $2.50 US.  Depending on how long you plan to be there and where you will be you could actually get by with the buses and taxis.  You just have to learn how to not let the Belizeans overcharge you because you are an American. 

Funny thing, I sprained my ankle three weeks before we left last February.  By the time we got down there are got situated I was able to go hiking.  Gary still have several weeks before will be able to make the trip so we have time to talk more.
Jude

Update to all about my trip:
Due to a family emergency, I'm presently in Europe, and do not foresee a return to Texas until close to the end of January.
At this point,the EARLIEST I can see me leaving is very end of February (barring any other Austin complications), or beginning of March.
As soon as I return, the Toyota will go in for a full overhaul before the trip.
Happy 2016 y'all!

Sorry for the delay. I have broken my ankle and having some problems getting around. I won't be making the Feb. depart date. I am in Connecticut at this time. I have a small car...BMW 323, 2000. I am also having 2nd thoughts about driving it there after reading many of the blogs. Parts for the car would be impossible. I have to remind myself that I am trying to reduce stress, not create it. Are your plans still on-target?

Our plans too are contingent on Gary's broken leg.  It was broken in three places so there is a long recovery ahead.  He still thinks he can drive since it is his left leg that is injured but our goal is to head out mid to late February.

Hello, driving to Belize. I want to make a road trip to Belize, but not on my own the first trip. Would you all consider another rider/driver. I will be in TX. I could join you al whenever you make the trip. You can call me at ***. I'd like to join the group, to see how the driving  trip  trip is.

Moderated by Naomi 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details for security reasons.Please exchange them in private messages.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Trip delayed to May.
See new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 22#3145546