Residence Pass, Saigon.

Hi, can anyone out there tell me the best(cheapest) way of applying for a residence pass to stay in Saigon for an extended period? I'm a qualified English teacher from Singapore. Thanks. P.S. I am married to a Vietnamese national.

Welcome to Expat.com owenkhoo :)

Your discussion has been directed to the Saigon forum. This will then increase your chance to obtain more accurate responses, testimonials from members around the region.

I hope this will help you :)

Best of luck

Hi Owenkhoo,

Regarding your long staying in Vietnam, you have to get the resident permit, legal record and Work permit in Vietnam (HCMC for your case).
To get the resident permit, you can have your wife do the legal procedures at the nearest Police Station. They will provide u with a residence certificate.
Then move on to Legal REcord and finally Work Permit.
All the necessary tasks will take about 2 months.

Feel free to contact in case you need help. I have supported some of my foreign friends to go through all the procedures trouble-free.

Hope u will have a nice stay in Vietnam.

I think you should get a Criminal Record at Justice Dept ( it took appx 1 month to get it) when you live in Vietnam more than 6 months. Then you can apply for a 3 year temporary residence card, normally an agency will tell you in detail what kind of documents you should prepare and they will submit it for you. (N5A, N5B form, criminal record, marriage certificate, passport photo, 2 pics, ...) If you apply yourself, be prepare for patient and tolerate. :)
The official fee to get a 3 years temporary residence card is US $100. The agency can charge 160$-300$ depend on your deal. (It took 6 working days)
Pm me to get the agency contact which I used for my friend

Here's a link that has a bit more helpful information:

expat.vn/permanent-residence-card

As your married to a Vietnamese here is another option/link, and it might be the best of the two in terms of cost and time:

saigoninacup.com/2010/03/25/5-year-visa-exemption/

Budman1 wrote:

Here's a link that has a bit more helpful information:

expat.vn/permanent-residence-card

As your married to a Vietnamese here is another option/link, and it might be the best of the two in terms of cost and time:

saigoninacup.com/2010/03/25/5-year-visa-exemption/

It is the best of the 2.  You don't have to leave the country; your wife just goes to immigration and pays about $10 every 3 months.

With the temp. residency card you are at your employers mercy.  No job with them?  Make plans to get a visa or leave.

Thank you for all the valuable feedback and advice, it is very much appreciated by me. I have gone to the government office for the 3-month visa for USD 20.00, as what "Budman1" advised. We have bought land in South Vietnam and have had a house built. Cheers! :D

VEC's are the best thing since cold beer. Glad it worked out for you owenkhoo.

hope you can deal with your problem soon...as I aware just need a visa then stay here to work...:D

Okay, thanks; I'll be looking around Binh Duong Province for a English teaching job then!

Cheers...