Any suggestions on southern towns/cities that have good transportation

Hello,
My name is Ilene and my husband and I just got approved for dual citizenship with Italy! We have spent time and money (working on this since 2012) and now we are in the home stretch. We actually just sold our home and now getting rid of "stuff" and just waiting to hear from the Italian Consulate that we need to come pick up our Italian Passports! We expect this to happen the early to mid part of 2016.

We plan to move to Parma first and explore the northern region for about 6-months. We choose this area because of the availability of busses and trains and its central location. After 6-months we are trying to find a town similar in the southern region to again, explore. If after a year we decide we want to stay and we can visit our 4 children and 8 grandchildren yearly, (without missing them too much!) then we will have a better idea of where we would want to put down roots. We've been it Italy twice (as tourists) so we are not looking to particularly visit "those" areas again - just explore everything else Italy has to offer.

Any suggestions on southern towns/cities that have good transportation would be appreciated! Thank you.

We have also started a blog:

ouritalianjourney.com to help others with citizenship or just to follow our journey.

Hello Ilene

Welcome on board  :)

So that you may easily get some feedbacks, a new thread has been created from your post on the Italy forum.

all the very best
Bhavna

Hi Ilene,
Really wish you good luck with your project.

I can't give you a lot of info about southern part of Italy: as you probably already know culture, services, even food varies from region to region here. I'm sure someone from southern regions will help you soon, tho.

Anyways, if I were you I would consider Bologna and its surroundings as your first place instead of Parma.
Bologna is not even close to the beauty of Parma, but it's not that far from it and it's the central hub for most of the trains traveling north to south and backward. If you plan to travel a lot, Bologna would give you much more options and fewer hassles.

Where have you already been, in Italy?
EDIT: nevermind I've just seen you have a blog, I'm gonna check it out. If you have any question about northern east Italy, just ask.

Alberto

We spent a two months in southern Italy this year and stayed in Naples, Bari and Lecce. We loved Lecce but recommend getting a car. From there you can visit all the beach towns on several coasts. I was terrified to drive there but it wasn't nearly as scary as I had imagined. Have a wonderful time!!

Yes, you can't really live here without a car; Public Transports are rarely on time, and in towns usually pretty scarce.
A word of advice though: if you plan to drive in cities, triple check ZTL boundaries online.
I don't know how to translate them in English, but these are special zones in the city where cars are not allowed to drive unless having special passes (like for resident or workers).
Fines for violators are high, and I wouldn't rely on GPS software to avoid them.

hi !

if you have not a car and you don't plan to purchase it you have to choose a city with a historic downtown, appreciated by tourists. In this way:
1) if the place is touristically important, then there is a sufficiently developed public system of transportation;
2) the ancient downtown can be happily lived without having a car.

The only con is that historic downtowns and touristic places are more expensive.

Beware that in some cities there are beautiful downtowns with disreputable inhabitants. Better always to choose wealthy neighbourhoods.  For instance, The "Quartieri Spagnoli" of Napoli are wonderful. They deserve to be visited, but you don't want to live there.

I had a wish similar to your one. I'm italian and I was living in a remote village near the austrian border. I decided to live in a beautiful  SAFE town without cars and good public services and an international airport. Hence 4 years ago I moved in Venice. I'm very happy of this choice. The con is that it is a very expensive place.
Besides Venice, which other towns or villages could meet my requirements ?

This is my list (all italy, north and south):

- Firenze;
- Roma;
- Assisi;
- Small touristic places in north and south italy. However in some of them a car could be important. (For instance, every village of the Garda lake; Santa margherita ligure, Bordighera, San Remo and Ospedaletti in Liguria, the Costiera amalfitana, Matera, Ostuni, Capri).

Hope someone else can give you more info about south italian towns which are really safe and with good public transportation.

so long

Hi there,

Congratulations on your citizenship!  There are many beautiful (and safe) places in the south.  It depends on *how* south you want to go, what atmosphere you're looking for, what size of town/city, etc.  In general, the farther south you go, the more sparse the public transit becomes.  I highly recommend a car to get around easier as many towns are not well connected (if at all) by buses or trains.  The rail service in our region of Basilicata is minimal and laughable, for example.

That said.  A few ideas.  Vietri sul Mare is a lovely town on the sea that is very close to Salerno for rail and ferry connections, there are buses and a nice old town.  Ostuni or Martina Franca are nice choices in Puglia (but again, a car would make them better).  Sorrento might be a nice choice, a pretty town with quite a bit going on and local life even in winter, with bus, rail and ferries.

try  Pescara...we lived there for one year in 2014,and are returning to there for at least another year or more. It has great train connections to the north,south and to Rome. The bus sysytem locally is excellent as well as cross country and international. Finally,it has a regional airport with flights to other countries via Ryan Air. We love it. The area has mountains in the horizon,miles of sandy beaches. Oh,during the summer there is a ferry that goes to Split Croatia on a daily basis.