Need info regarding subject!

I know someone from canada who would like to work in saudi as a english teacher  but has a criminal record . Would it be possible for him to work since we know that for a work visa they will ask for police check.

no. wont be possible with a criminal record

Someone has asked me a question and I would like to put it out there maybe someone has experience and may have the answer for them. This person received an offer to work in Saudi Arabia but when the police certificate came back it said "no live trace".  They continued to process their document unaware of what this meant having completely forgotten their distant past affairs.                                                                             

After everything was finalised with the documents the person handed them in at the Saudi Embassy for the work visa, the Embassy immediately asked for "the subject access", the Embassy said anyone who has "no live trace" written on their police certificate must hand in a "subject access" (meaning a full disclosure). Not knowing what this meant at the time the person did some research and discovered that there was information held on record about them regarding 2 single incidents of petty theft from over 38 year previously... during there former teenage and very early adulthood.

I have told them there is no chance they would be given a work visa and they might also be permanently put on the Embassy computer database as a criminal... but I am no expert.  What should this person do, is there a chance that the Embassy would overlook these past mistakes seen as how they have not been in trouble since? 

Should this person hand in the "subject access" and hope for a work visa or decline the offer of the job?

Anyone know the answer?

It's hard to say what the outcome would be considering that the issue is 38 years in the past.

However, knowing Saudi bureaucracy, I would suggest to decline the job offer.  They are tremendously picky, zero flexibility and have an interest in dotting the i's and putting the t's vs. delivering an outcome.

That way, you can still hope to work in other countries in the GCC (excl. Saudi and UAE) which don't ask for a police clearance.   But if this record ends up on the GCC security database then that chance is gone.

Never heard of the GCC database, but agree with you...I think its best to be safe than sorry and let the job go as other opportunities might well surface for this individual...thanks for your perspective

There is an inter gcc security database where they share information on criminals and other individuals.

@jobsearchksa, my little sharing about this is to take the chance and put their best intent known during the process. A petty theft almost a lifetime ago seems - petty.

Albeit we're seeing many "unfair" or "bad" calls made on daily basis around here, remember the few moments of kindness and compassion that we actually do come across every once in a while (usually happens to me just when I'm about to lose faith). There is still kindness around.

I almost did not try when I had a Saudi employment medical exam scare (I was initially declared medically unfit). A kind soul here shared his view and suggested that I give it a try. I did the best I could (4 retests with mixed results), gave the company full disclosure and it went well, even though the medical exam results were still not perfect.

Hi.
As far criminal record it is very difficult to clear even you serve the punishment.
It is also depends what you have done.....
traffic issues , road rage is conman in States.
you should check by yourself.

Thanks guy's for taking the time and the trouble to put your perspective forward.       

As you can imagine its a difficult decision for this person to make, if they apply for the subject access and submit it to the embassy, will it backfire in their face, GCC and all of that?

Or will everything be fine and they are offered the visa?                                                           

Anyone out there had a similar experience or knows someone who had been through something similar, would be helpful to hear the outcome...

Unfortunately I do not think it is possible for him to be employed here in KSA.

When he/they carry out a CRB(Police check) it will show his criminal record.

Hi, 

I note this is now c.5 years out of date?  If the convicted criminal offence was drink driving and is c.17 years old do people think this would be seen as a misdemeanour by KSA government and a Visa granted?

Best,

W