Drivers license exchange

Hi
I have read a bit about the subject of the drivers license exchange

I need to exchange mine asap ....I have a vaild south Afican drivers license - apparently you can exchange this.
My questions are ....I know I can use this license up to 6 months in Brazil , I've been here exactly 4 months.....can I still exchange the license after the 6 month period as long as it is still valid (not expired)
Also what can I expect from these tests ,like the psychological one....I understand most things in Portuguese if explained clearly and I can speak ok , but I do still get tongue tied on unfamiliar subjects...
Also any info on what the whole process involves would be greatly appreciated.
I went and had a quick look in Detran today in Sao jose , it's by far the most run down , over crowded and chaotic government deprtment I've seen in Brazil so far....took one look at the lines and ran for the hills, was just in the area , but I will go there better prepared tomorrow

Thanks
Steve

My wife went with me, It's good to have a portuguese speaker with you when filing out the paperwork. There was a special person to handle foreign applications where I live Vitoria ES. As far as the eye test, medical and psycological exam. You don't need to worry about speaking portuguese at least in my experience.

Thanks a lot !
So did you have to book an appointment and return or was it all done right there?
How long did it take from the tests til you actually had your license and did they take your old license away or do you keep it?

I received my Brazilian DL this past May - 8 months after I moved to Brazil. I believe I started the process in April, and that the entire process took less than a month. My husband has lived in Brazil for 30 years and speaks fluent Portuguese, but he still insisted that we hire a despachante to help us navigate the bureaucracy at DETRAN and to save us the headache of dealing with them directly. (If I recall correctly, I still had to go to the DETRAN office at least twice - once, to get my picture taken, and the second time, to sign some paperwork). I don't remember exactly what we paid the despachante, but I believe it was somewhere between R$ 200 and R$ 300 and it was well worth it.
In addition to this fee, I also had to pay for my psychological and medical exams separately. In my opinion, both exams were a complete and utter waste of time and in no way should either of these  exams determine who should and shouldn't drive. (An eye exam is of course, necessary, but the rest of the medical exam was an opportunity for some doctor to make a quick buck). Fortunately, I passed both exams - if one can follow directions and has a basic grasp of geometric shapes, then I don't see how one could fail the psychological test, however, at least two Brazilians in my session did fail. I was the only foreigner in my group, and the woman administering the exam spoke English, so she gave me separate instructions in English - she was referred to me by my despachante.

Steve, if you're in Campinas (your profile says Campinas, but I think you mentioned that you're in Sao Jose?), you can PM me and I'll give you the contact information of the despachante I used - he was friendly, knowledgeable and kept us up-to-date throughout the process. He didn't speak English, but if you speak some Portuguese, you should be fine. Or better yet, take a Brazilian friend with you.

stevefunk wrote:

Thanks a lot !
So did you have to book an appointment and return or was it all done right there?
How long did it take from the tests til you actually had your license and did they take your old license away or do you keep it?

I got to keep my old license.

Nothing in Brazil is THAT easy - everything involves multiple visits! I believe I saw my despachante 3-4 times, DETRAN 2x, and then the medical exam and pyschological exam were separate visits.

Oh this is a great thread, we visited Detran in Goiania earlier this year and returned with a form to fill in but everything was put on the long finger (by us - no time or money to pursue it) but I'm hoping to get my license sorted later this year. Glad to hear the tests don't require a lot of Portuguese because mine is fairly limited still.

I think the despachante might be a good idea since we always seem to run into trouble trying to get bureacratic things done here - despite the fact that my husband is Brazilian!

Thanks ...I moved from Campinas , much change my profile

Did you have to pay for those medical exams separately because of the private despachante that you used. I'm a bit confused , are these exams administered by a private doctor or someone in the Detran office?

Why what were the costs involved in pursuing it.

I'm going to attempt to do it directly with DETRAN . The government offices in São Jose dos campos are almost 1st world compared to a lot of other places in Brazil , although DETRAN did look like a bit of a dump.....
I'll see what happens and if it's too difficult will look at another option

I think I had an appointment, but I did everything in the same day. Paperwork in the morning and then the medical and psycological in the afternoon. My license came in the mail 6 days later. Don't waste your money hiring someone. It's a simple process.

Thanks for the tip , I'm going to try.

stevefunk wrote:

Thanks ...I moved from Campinas , much change my profile

Did you have to pay for those medical exams separately because of the private despachante that you used. I'm a bit confused , are these exams administered by a private doctor or someone in the Detran office?

My medical exam was adminstered by a private doctor - I think he was a doctor that only does DETRAN exams. Same goes for the person who administered the pyschological exam. And yes, I had to pay for both exams separately.

It's like everything else in Brazil, each DETRAN has their own rules.

I think they are supposed to take your driver's license, but there are plenty of stories where people have kept their old license, My suggestion is to make a copy of your driver's license at the cartorio and get it certified there. If the DETRAN asks for proof of your driver's license, give them the copy. I've heard that this has worked.

And I also think that they are supposed to not allow any translators in the psychological exam, although there are stories where they don't mind having translators.

Really, it's all luck. Hopefully you don't get stuck with a strict DETRAN

They took my USA License , but it was due to expire anyway. You don't need it. In the USA all states recognize the Brazilian License.

Does anyone have any idea of the kind of topics they would ask on if the exam is in Portuguese.

I don't have any clue whats really meant by psychological exam .... like to find out if your not homicidal or something , or is it more just looking at shapes and stuff to see that your brain works correctly .

Thanks

I was not asked any questions. as i stated before they allowed my wife to be present in case I didn't understand any instructions. I had to draw verticle lines for 2 minutes. During that time the attendant would say signet and i had to draw a horizontal line and then back to verticle again. several times she will say signet during the 2 mins. the second test was to find numbers in order on a page It was also timed. 3rd test was to find signs and put an x through them. The tests may vary from different places, there is nothing difficult. nothing to worry about.

Great , thanks for the info
I went down there today , it was much calmer than yesterday

Spoke to someone there , she seemed knowledgable , told me what I need and how to book , checked I meet all the requirements and told me not to worry it's simple.
So just got to make the bookings online and pay the fee's
But it seems simple so far.

Frankly, after driving in Brazil for over 15 years, I don't see the benefit of even bothering to get a Detran D.L. You look like a Gringo, you are a Gringo, you have a Residence Card, a CPF, a spouse, property and entrenched. You will be treated like a Gringo anyway and probably not seen as Brazilian. Seems to me you're better off with your home country's DL.

Most other countries licenses becomes invalid after 6 months in Brazil , I want to get a Brazilian one to avoid any hassle's here, yes I know you might say I never got stopped once in 15 years etc etc but I want to be free to drive all over without the risk of fine. Also if you are involved in any sort of minor accient without the correct license it could cause problems.
. Your response seems kind of wierd Moto , you imply I want a License to be less of a Gringo?
It seems to me you got called a gringo one to many times there in Salvador  or something?

:) Steve, I understand your desire and don't invalidate it. You are absolutely correct in wanting to follow the law and be prepared for any incident. Inwardly, I only ask myself the question of, "is it worth all the continued hassle"? The question and answer lies with each individual and not calling out anyone personally. Just was posing something provocative. Valeu!

Haha
Thats ok , provocative debate is good. :)
I know what you mean , it is a pain in the ass , exactly how much hassle it will entail remains to be seen
But so far it seems relatively simple . To me the idea of been on the wrong end of a Brazilian police officer or been told by the law I'm responsible damages when some playboy rear ends my car with his hummer because I didn't have the right license definitely seem to make it worth while.

stevefunk wrote:

Haha
Thats ok , provocative debate is good. :)
I know what you mean , it is a pain in the ass , exactly how much hassle it will entail remains to be seen
But so far it seems relatively simple . To me the idea of been on the wrong end of a Brazilian police officer or been told by the law I'm responsible damages when some playboy rear ends my car with his hummer because I didn't have the right license definitely seem to make it worth while.

I agree - under no circumstances do I wish to be on the wrong side of the law here in Brazil. I think you did the right thing, Steve. Why take chances?

Yes i've heard a few horror stories of people getting on the wrong side of the law over traffic offenses and been beaten etc

Any body please guide me in exchanging my Pakistani international lic with Brazilian in São Paulo.