New to Forum - Reaching Muscat Soon.

Hello Guys/Girls..

I'm Osama, soon to be an Expat - will be living in Muscat on Employment Visa. I'm over excited and wants to know more about the life in Muscat as I'm very outgoing and rocking nature guy of just 28 years of age. I'm hoping to have mix gender friends & gatherings. Any advice's & suggestions for me?

So I guess I'm not welcomed yet :) no one bothers to reply :)

Regards,
Osama

Osama,

Welcome to Muscat !
If you did not receive a response ....one reason could be, your question was too broad and if you scanned through the forum categories, you might have got the answers .

One suggestion could be , please go through the forum categories and after having read them you might still have specific questions. Shoot them here and I am sure one of the members might be able to help you with the relevant answer .

Let me answer your other question that you have raised in another thread pertaining to your accomodation.
Your worry / anxiety is understandable . Even I was a little anxious before I moved in not long ago. But after going through the posts, i realised an apartment cannot be rented remotely . One has to take a look, pay either in advance cheques or some cash and take the keys . All this can happen in a day without much hassles.

You can take a look at OLX (dubbizle), Times of Oman.....but best thing would be to talk to the 'caretaker' of the apartment/buildings of the area you have in mind.

In my case I did spend hours on net shortlisting , however when I landed up I realised it was a waste of time (except that I had some idea about the rents of apartments). Not having family or relatives around, proximity to work was the main criteria and I started off with the building next to my office. To my amusement, every building that I walked into had at least 1 apartment available for rent ! It is pretty standard and I would like to believe, there is not huge room for negotiation (unless someone corrects me). Also look for boards with "to rent" sign along with the contact number of the adverstiser. In some cases there could be brokerage , however I went through Al Kabir , who manages the entire building and I did not have to pay any brokerage. Though they wanted 12 (rent)+1 (security deposit) cheques .......I had not even opened the bank account . They were flexible in accepting 2 months rent in cash and asked me to deposit 10 cheques as soon as I receive them.

So ....take it easy my friend ....nothing ever falls apart in this part of the world ! Relax !!!

Best Wishes