Anyone working for NGO's / know of any NGO's working in Libya

As part of IB curriculum, the students are required to complete 50 hours of community service among other requirements to graduate with the IB Diploma.

In this context I am trying to get together a list of various NGO's working out of Tripoli which can be approached by the school (GEMS) to see if they can accomodate the students to help with any volunteer work.

Your help in getting the contact details of any such organization would be very much appreciated.

Siddiqui

The two main NGO's in Libya are the Watessemo Charity and the Gadaffi Foundation. There is also the UN agencies working on the ground in Libya, but im not sure whether they will be able to take on students as they have their own UN Volunteers scheme. In any case, you can approach these as a starting point and take it from there. My only other suggestion would be to contact the Ministry of Social Affairs to see whether they have a list of NGO's etc.

Good luck.

The UNDP-Libya's website has a list of partners which includes websites and phone numbers.  The list includes the above two mentioned charities and the Libyan Red Crescent, National Boy Scouts/Girl Guides, Unicef and the Ministry of Social Affairs.  Don't forget about the children's hospital.  The UNDP does have internships but only for graduate level students.  If most of the children do not have Arabic, this could be a challenge for you.  Perhaps partner up with local private schools and  have the kids help other students with their English....Reading Buddies. Good luck.

Hi Siddiqui. Unfortunately, independent NGOs are currently banned in Libya. That means that it's illegal for locals to form such an organization, and for overseas NGOs to operate here. There are rumors that this is going to change, but nobody knows when. The two charities mentioned ("Watasemu" and the Gaddafi foundation) are both affiliated with the government. In my opinion your best hope would be to try to get in touch with the UN.

Thank you all for your replies. I will inform the school accordingly.

Siddiqui