Your favorite eating spot in Tripoli?

Hi Everyone,

Please jot down your favorite eating spots in Tripoli, I am tired of the ones I know and have been to i.e. Dixie, Babel Pizza, Some Turkish Resturant in Z.Dahmani a couple of others which I felt were not worth remembering. I don't know about everyone here but I feel the food in somewhat all the resturants tastes the same, LOL.

Welcome to Expat-blog, Gernademan :)

Your discussion has been redirected to the Tripoli forum for effective networking.

Regards,
Sheetul

Yes I agree the food has similar tastes, lol!! Coming from Thailand where eating is the spice of life, I've had to drastically change my philosophy on eating. Back home, I live to eat, whereas here I eat to live, lol :)

True that, do you know of any good chinese cuisines here?

True can't beat the food in the land of smiles.

Would love a good Panang Curry.

Gernademan, there are three Chinese restaurants here, all of them in Gargaresh, the first one is near the Marks & Spencer store, the second one is about 300 m before Regatta on the main Gargaresh road (coming from Souk Talata) and the third one is on the seafront in Gargaresh (I havent been to this one). I like the one which is near the Marks & Spencer store.

There's a new chinese restaurant ... "Chinese Flower Restaurant" ... while coming from Regatta towards Gargarish, turn right after BHS ... food is OK but quite expensive & waitresses don't speak much english (or arabic I suppose).

square wrote:

Gernademan, there are three Chinese restaurants here, all of them in Gargaresh, the first one is near the Marks & Spencer store, the second one is about 300 m before Regatta on the main Gargaresh road (coming from Souk Talata) and the third one is on the seafront in Gargaresh (I havent been to this one). I like the one which is near the Marks & Spencer store.

Actually there're four on or just off Gargaresh. I've been to 3 and in my opinion* they are over priced, set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

The 'asian' restaurant in the Corinthia is equally poor value.

Really, you'd be better off buying the ingredients and cooking it yourself.

(*Disclaimer: you may disagree)

If you want good Thai food for parties, I know a Thai lady who does catering and she is a very good cook.

Chinese 1: Lat: 32°51'40.62"N Long:  13° 5'20.23"E
Chinese 2: Lat: 32°51'40.48"N Long:  13° 5'13.15"E
Chinese 3: Lat: 32°51'31.48"N Long:  13° 5'11.53"E
Chinese 4: Lat: 32°51'6.19"N  Long:  13° 4'20.29"E

There is a new Syrian sweets shop open on Omar Mukhtar street called Abna Al-Mukhtar. It's really great - I was very impressed! The shop sells Knafa and other pastries. The knafa is 1.5 LYD and it's delicious.

I don't know how to work google maps or whatever, but it's on Omar Mukhtar on your left if you're heading into the medina on the street just before Al Rashid (Souq al-Hoot) street.

Enjoy!

Tandoori Restaurant is my new favourite. Much better food than the Chinese at even better prices ... and the staff can communicate in english as well as arabic. What more could one ask for :)

expatlibya wrote:

Tandoori Restaurant is my new favourite. Much better food than the Chinese at even better prices ... and the staff can communicate in english as well as arabic. What more could one ask for :)

any idea where that Tandoori Restaurant is? some directions would help.

mancunian wrote:

I'm not too familiar with the area ... we went down Jaraba Street (south - Libyan-British clinic was on our left) towards the big traffic lights ... took a right at the traffic lights ... then there was this big overbridge on the left which we went over, then turned left at the traffic lights... hope that gives you an idea of the area :)

The address on the take-away menu is-
Bab Benghasher Road,
Near the Libyan Govt. (VIP) Guest House
Opposite Al Baderi Mosque.

Ph. No. - 00218 - 918100556

It's quite small ... with an even smaller 'Tandoori Restaurant' written outside so you have to really look for it.

Chicken Chicken on omar mukhtar street. spicy wingssssss

expatlibya wrote:

I have been there, loved it, it is so delicious food

Samakauk

Glad you liked it!!!

Tandoori Restaurant -

Cuisine is Pakistani/Indian - Punjabi/ Mughalai

(for those who can't make out by the name :) )

if you like Libyan food ..
you can go to  omar moktar street behind sendebat Hotel near from puma market ..you will find Libyan Restaurant  food ..it is very  clean Restaurant ..and good test ..............

expatlibya wrote:

Samakauk

Glad you liked it!!!

Tandoori Restaurant -

Cuisine is Pakistani/Indian - Punjabi/ Mughalai

(for those who can't make out by the name :) )

Thank u so much,

I just wish they expand the menu variety by time.

I love Popadam Chutney and Pickles, Chapati,Balti Dishes & Vindaloo which is my fav dish

la scala. yes expensive but still the best restaurant in tripoli.
on gırgaresh.
chinese, of hte 4 , near the seaside  one near gırgaresh is the best one. new one was a total disappointment.
mexicana on gırgaresh, best hamburger, near the mosque, towards mango store.
fish restaurants in tajura, good quality price ratios.
new french restaurant soon to be opened on gırgaresh.

filini in radisson, used to love it, service just disintegrated last 2 times, not going anymore. ask for a non alcoholic beer 7 times and an ash tray 8 times before getting one....too much for me.

my q:
how can i eat sushi in libya?
(can't make it myself:()

TolgaU wrote:

my q:
how can i eat sushi in libya?
(can't make it myself:()

AirMalta, fly to Malta, taxi to St Julian. Job done.

Business lounge at Tripoli International airport - food ain't great but who cares :lol:

Went to a great restaurant yesterday- next to the Marcus Aurelius Arch. The waiters were really friendly and the surroundings were beautiful. You can have lamb or seafood stew served to you in a clay pot which the waiters break in front of you. The Libyan soup was good too. O2 (facing the sea just off Gargaresh) is great for breakfast- pancakes and the best egg sandwich. Next door, Lamma cafe has a good lunch menu and a lovely view of the sea.

tetleytea wrote:

Went to a great restaurant yesterday- next to the Marcus Aurelius Arch. The waiters were really friendly and the surroundings were beautiful. You can have lamb or seafood stew served to you in a clay pot which the waiters break in front of you. The Libyan soup was good too. O2 (facing the sea just off Gargaresh) is great for breakfast- pancakes and the best egg sandwich. Next door, Lamma cafe has a good lunch menu and a lovely view of the sea.

last time I was down there (to O2 or Lamma, which would have been before the summer), they had a huge wooden wall to hide some construction they were doing and completely blocked the view... is that gone now?

Yes the wall is gone- someone took a sledgehammer to it. If you ignore all the rubble it's a good view!

mancunian wrote:
expatlibya wrote:

Ask the Taxi man, Its right from the Nadi Itehad Traffic Signal,
(Going West to East on)

or call this No. He will guide you or the taxi man,

091-4479538
092-5199726

Good Luck & Have a nice Food....

This is ajay meshram working as a freelancer as a events manager in beverage experts working creative consultants willingly to workin Queen- island dreaming & hope i am waiting for the response from your side checked my linked in profile email me at meshramajay@ &...more

Alghazali Restaurent Dahra Area..Near this Oil Company